Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...est-frontcourt

1. San Antonio Spurs (Tim Duncan, Tiago Splitter, Kawhi Leonard)

It's no secret that the defending champs derive a lot of their on-court (and, indeed, organizational) strength from Duncan, as the one constant of nearly two decades of unparalleled success. He is the axis upon which the Spurs' universe turns, the living embodiment of what the expectations are for each player in terms of work ethic, sacrifice and dedication. His acceptance of taking a smaller role on offense did two things for him: It prolonged his career by relieving him of the burden of carrying the offense, while allowing him to continue to focus on being an elite defensive anchor.

In Splitter, the Spurs have another tremendous defensive big man as well as an active pick-and-roll participant and finisher. He's an underrated passer, both on the catch out of pick-and-rolls and from the low and high posts. As a 7-footer, he affords the Spurs the flexibility to play big by pairing him with Duncan, or to interchange them alongside smaller, more skilled players like Boris Diaw and Leonard, the third frontcourt starter and NBA Finals MVP. Leonard's defensive excellence is rooted in the combination of his physical gifts (optimal height, freakish length, agility and strength) and dogged discipline in execution. His high-level rebounding on the defensive end allow the Spurs to play him as a small-ball 4, and his offensive game has developed steadily every season. He might not be the sort of star you can build your offense around, but he's the perfect complement to a championship frontcourt.

The combination of elite size, defense, rebounding and offensive versatility make the Spurs' frontcourt the cream of the crop.

2. Cleveland Cavaliers (LeBron James, Kevin Love, Anderson Varejao)

Look out, world, the Cavs are coming. Thanks to a dream offseason, Cleveland managed to push its way to almost the top of this list. Adding James obviously plays a major part in that, but Love will influence and impact both how the Cavs can play and how teams can defend them. His shooting reputation ("gravity") forces defenders to behave more cautiously and stay closer to him, which in turn creates all sorts of spacing and causeways to the basket that allow James (and others, like Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters) to attack off the dribble. Of course, Love isn't just a stationary threat: You can throw it to him on the block, where he does an excellent job of using his wide base to bump defenders off and create space to release his shot. He's also adept at facing up and putting the ball on the deck for a few beats against overzealous closeouts. Finally, Love's passing (not just his outlet "touchdown" throws, but also from the pinch post and the low block) acts as an additional facilitator on offense.

As brilliant as James and Love are, Varejao plays perhaps the most important role as a high-level defender, both individually and in the help department. His ability to offer constant activity on either end while not compromising principles puts him in rare company, especially at the center position. Offensively, he maintains spacing and makes cuts at appropriate times; defensively, he doesn't over-rotate when helping and recovering. He helps subsidize the defensive shortcomings of teammates and gives the Cavs' frontcourt a chance to be special.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder (Kevin Durant, Serge Ibaka, Kendrick Perkins)
    4-5 was Mavs and Grizz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Varajao is great, but he'll probably play 40-50 games.

Perkins is trash, and should be considered an empty position. Not even Durant is good enough to elevate this front court into the top 3. I call bull on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers can make a case top 3-5 with Lopez coming back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensively, Green-Leonard-Spitter-Duncan is horrifying for any match up. And considering the fact Spurs don't need great offensive talents due to their system, I'd have to agree with this one.Damn.. this team is ing awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are loaded on C/PF/SF tbh. Not only do they have elite atheletes in Kwahi & Green, they also have the perfect defensive anchor in Duncan. Diaw and Splitter are the perfect backups with off the charts IQ.

We haven't had this elite level of frontcourt since 1999 tbh. 2003 was good and all, but Tim did all the heavy lifting back then.

The le defense will still rest on Tony & Manu tbh. If Tony can up his play from last season and with the improvement from Kwahi, i like our chances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd put the Grizz at #2, that team basically is the front court.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant, Ibaka, and Adams are definitely #2. I'd take that trio over the Cavs frontcourt, anyday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An under-rated frontcourt next season would be the Hawks' Carroll, Millsap & Horford. Its somewhat undersized, but its a great rotation of 2 2-way players and a very useful and hardworking defender at 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant, Ibaka, and Adams are definitely #2. I'd take that trio over the Cavs frontcourt, anyday.
    I wouldn't. Adams ain't all that, and in James and Love, the Cavs have two All NBAers to just Durant for OKC.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelicans would have us beat. Tim had issues with Portland too. Never seen him chat on as bad as Alridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why aren't the bulls in front "no pun intended" of kc? espn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelicans would have us beat. Tim had issues with Portland too. Never seen him chat on as bad as Alridge
    Tim doesn't defend Aldridge, Tiago does.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't. Adams ain't all that, and in James and Love, the Cavs have two All NBAers to just Durant for OKC.
    Ibaka and Adams are both better two-way players than Love and Varajao. Durant and James is basically a wash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, Cleveland's frontcourt is better than ours.

LeBron >>> Kawhi
    Love >> Duncan
    Varejao < Splitter
    Thompson << Diaw

I'd probably put Chicago over Memphis. Noah/Gibson/Pau/Mirotic is a deadly big man rotation. They're weak at SF, but it's not like Memphis is loaded at that position either.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I agree on this point. Love's a good scorer and rebounder but Tim still has a significant edge in defensive skill and presence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs easily have the best defensive front court in the league. I don't think they're the best offensively, but the defense is so good that it doesn't matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, Cleveland's frontcourt is better than ours.

LeBron >>> Kawhi
    Love >> Duncan
    Varejao < Splitter
    Thompson << Diaw

I'd probably put Chicago over Memphis. Noah/Gibson/Pau/Mirotic is a deadly big man rotation. They're weak at SF, but it's not like Memphis is loaded at that position either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The jinx

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Varajao is great, but he'll probably play 40-50 games.

Perkins is trash, and should be considered an empty position. Not even Durant is good enough to elevate this front court into the top 3. I call bull on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs

FTT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perkins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka and Adams are both better two-way players than Love and Varajao. Durant and James is basically a wash.
    Adams is a turnstile on D, and the reason we were up very comfortably 2-0. Ibaka has a jumper, which can be on or off, and nothing else. Neither can legitimately be called a 2 way player.
    Last edited by exstatic; 08-23-2014 at 08:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I agree on this point. Love's a good scorer and rebounder but Tim still has a significant edge in defensive skill and presence.
    Saying Love is a "good scorer" is completely selling him short

Love - 26 ppg on 59 TS%, 12.5 rpg
    Duncan - 15 ppg on 53.5 TS%, 9.7 rpg

Love is several tiers above Tim offensively at this point in their careers. Tim, while still a great defender, isn't some top 3 defender in the league like he used to be back in the day. Even if you think Duncan is better than Love while on the court (which is still a huge stretch IMO), you have to take into account that Love can give you 36+ mpg while Tim has to play noticeably less minutes if you want to preserve him for the playoffs.

I love Duncan as much as the next Spurs fan, but let's take off our homer goggles here. Love is clearly better than Duncan at this point.

LeBron is multiple tiers above Kawhi. Love is at least a tier or two above Duncan. I know Splitter > Varejao and Diaw is way better than Tristan Thompson, but I'm having a hard time seeing how we have a better frontcourt. I agree we have the best defensive frontcourt, but LeBron/Love duo is just absolutely insane on offense. I guess the argument is there if you REALLY value defense, but in that case you better have Chicago in the top 3 as well.
    Last edited by SpursFan86; 08-23-2014 at 07:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Love is several tiers above Tim offensively at this point in their careers. Tim, while still a great defender, isn't some top 3 defender in the league like he used to be back in the day. Even if you think Duncan is better than Love while on the court (which is still a huge stretch IMO), you have to take into account that Love can give you 36+ mpg while Tim has to play noticeably less minutes if you want to preserve him for the playoffs.

I love Duncan as much as the next Spurs fan, but let's take off our homer goggles here. Love is clearly better than Duncan at this point.

LeBron is multiple tiers above Kawhi. Love is at least a tier or two above Duncan. I know Splitter > Varejao and Diaw is way better than Tristan Thompson, but I'm having a hard time seeing how we have a better frontcourt. I agree we have the best defensive frontcourt, but LeBron/Love duo is just absolutely insane on offense. I guess the argument is there if you REALLY value defense, but in that case you better have Chicago in the top 3 as well.
    how many minutes/games can you count on from Varejao?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sorry, but defense counts. He is not better.

Thread Information