Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping this award evolves as Sportvu analytics become more prevailent. I'd love to see stats not available before become popular stats. Things along the lines like individual opponent FG%, drives against, % shots vs passes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because shotblocking is all the madness.

If we're talking about not having DPOY's too, Brucie tops TD on that list.
    Image, too. You've got to give off the appearance that you're intense, even menacing.

No way Bowen (who's defense was obviously aided by Duncan's mere presence behind him) not winning one tops Duncan not winning one. In fact, I'd have a hard time ever giving a perimeter player the award because no matter how good they are, they can't match the impact of an elite big.

Duncan not having at least a few is the biggest awards oversight I can think of, in any sport. People can knock the most common defensive metrics all they want (and for sure, they're flawed), but the fact that he's at or near the top of all of them and has either anchored or co-anchored a bunch of the greatest single season defenses in league history and hasn't won one is laughable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid post is stupid
    What did you disagree with?..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the 2000-2010 media was swapped with today's media, Duncan would have at least 1, tbh..

Today's new media is much more knowledgeable and informed, overall..

Defensive metrics are still relatively flawed, but obviously levels better than any defensive information we possessed pre-2010, especially the "eye test"..
    Disagree. This same media claims a new LeBron kobe mj every year. This media still glorifies ppg and aau... come on man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid media award.. Jordan got one but not Pippen.. It's all the media..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. This same media claims a new LeBron kobe mj every year. This media still glorifies ppg and aau... come on man
    Obviously there's still an abundance of stupid media members, most of them are still from the antiquated coverage of the NBA, but most of the "new media" members actually use quantifiable numbers and logic to vote for awards, etc(like Zach Lowe, for instance)..

There will always be the media members that overhype Kobe for unquantifiable traits like his "will to win"..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Gasol wasn't a bad choice, at all..he was a little overrated as an overall player that year, but his choice as DPOY was fine, he earned it..

Realistically, you couldn't have given it to Timmy that season, as Gasol played a much higher amount of minutes, which can't be ignored..a difference of 700 minutes played is a huge disparity..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you disagree with?..
    The media is worse nowadays, its Lebron sucking around the clock

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Stupid media award.. Jordan got one but not Pippen.. It's all the media..
    Unfortunately for Pippen his best defensive years came during a great age of defensive centers where beasts like Olajuwon, Robinson, Mutombo, and Mourning were roaming the paint racking up blocks. I thought Pippen was a lock for DPOY in '95 considering the Bulls frontline was decimated for most of the season and he still anchored that team to the #2 ranked defense but Mutombo's 4 block average and trademark finger wag was too much for the media to ignore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The media is worse nowadays, its Lebron sucking around the clock
    As opposed to Kobe sucking?..

The difference now is that we have much more media outlets to get our basketball coverage and information..there's also a different breed of media that follows every team, not just the Heat, Lakers, etc(like the previous media)..

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Gasol wasn't a bad choice, at all..he was a little overrated as an overall player that year, but his choice as DPOY was fine, he earned it..

Realistically, you couldn't have given it to Timmy that season, as Gasol played a much higher amount of minutes, which can't be ignored..a difference of 700 minutes played is a huge disparity..
    The NBA coaches voted Noah and Chandler ahead of Gasol for All-NBA. In fact, if they hadn't tied, Gasol wouldn't have made second team. This is the same year the media gave him DPOY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information