Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Erazem Lorbek Agrees To Buyout With Barcelona
    Aug 28, 2014 9:57 AM EDT
    Erazem Lorbek and Barcelona have agreed upon a contract buyout.

Lorbek was originally drafted by the Indiana Pacers, but his draft rights were dealt to the San Antonio Spurs as part of the Kawhi Leonard trade in 2011.

The Spurs have just one remaining roster spot available.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...With-Barcelona

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , so Baynes is gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , so Baynes is gone.
    Or maybe Ayres?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not doing this for the Spurs. As stated in another thread, the FO can not pull the QO to Baynes until October 1st. He has until then to agree to the QO or to get a better offer with the FO having the chance to match. That's over a month away.

Best of luck to Erazem, but little chance he's coming over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance he'll be involved in a trade? Maybe packaged along with someone like Ayres (lol I'm being optimistic) or Daye?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not doing this for the Spurs. As stated in another thread, the FO can not pull the QO to Baynes until October 1st. He has until then to agree to the QO or to get a better offer with the FO having the chance to match. That's over a month away.

Best of luck to Erazem, but little chance he's coming over.
    You're assuming that. This could be totally unrelated to Baynes. What if the front office is wanting to dump Ayres? The guy was garbage in Summer League. And just the fact that he went to Summer League is probably a good indication that the Spurs aren't entirely enamoured with what they're getting out of him. Additionally, Austin Daye is viewed by the Spurs FO as a bigman and not a 3. He also hasn't done much of anything to move the needle. So thats potentially three bigs that the Spurs might either be trying to move away from or have move away from them. Lorbek is an option I'd imagine. MLE and BAE are available. Stranger things...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek isn't coming over. He's also been a disappointment overseas recently, skipping out on the NT and in general sucking in Spain.

His skill-set would be really nice if he ever got back into form, however. I believe he's a stretch-five.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek seems like a pretty ty prospect. A 6'10" 30 year-old who averages 8 points and 2.7 rebounds a game against lesser compe ion? Sounds like a really poor man's Rasho Nesterovich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a cold day in when the spurs actually bring in a player they've stashed. It's unfortunately the wrong position, Baynes should be a lock to return. J Green should be given the full Neal treatment. I would like to see a little extra help behind Anderson/Daye as Kawhi backup. But at least it's possible the Spurs give their players a chance in their sytem. With Bonner/Daye/Lorbek around as floor spreading 4, Anderson could play a lot of 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek seems like a pretty ty prospect. A 6'10" 30 year-old who averages 8 points and 2.7 rebounds a game against lesser compe ion? Sounds like a really poor man's Rasho Nesterovich.
    I'll take the current Rasho over Errors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...rbek-30/stats/

Those are Lorbek's career stats, for anyone who cares.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek plays in the two best leagues that aren't the NBA. So the compe ion is fine. He also scores well enough, averaging around 16 points per 36. But his rebounding is awful (about five total per 36). His numbers have also been on the decline since he inked his new contract. (Before that, he was one of the best bigs in Europe.)

It's amazing that Spurs fans were agonizing over choosing between Lorbek and Diaw in the summer of 2012. Diaw is far superior now. But the team could do much worse for a fourth big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Lorbek doesn't assist enough for being as good as he is/was. He's close to an assist and a half per 36, which isn't great at all. His PER is in the tank as well, though it's still better than Ayres'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry for blogging here. But it should be noted that this is a buyout in the domestic sense, not in the international sense. Lorbek isn't paying to leave Barcelona. They are paying HIM to leave. That says a lot about his current level of play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry for blogging here. But it should be noted that this is a buyout in the domestic sense, not in the international sense. Lorbek isn't paying to leave Barcelona. They are paying HIM to leave. That says a lot about his current level of play.
    That acutally says nothing about his level of play - it says a lot about his health contidion i.e. injuries. E. Lorbek played half of 2012/13 season on bad knie for Barcelona; hence wasn't able to join national team for home EC. Recovery took longer than expected and he joined Barcelona for 2nd half of season. Even than knie coused him some problems, and on top of that he injured ankle.
    Now his knie doesn't allow him to play for NT and he needs few months to recover again - most probably artroscopy will be needed.

That said, he won't play in NBA again - not because of lack of skills, it is because of his health.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He never played in the NBA. And with the Spurs resigning Bonner, that pretty much shut the door for the Spurs resigning Lorbek this offseason and pretty much for the rest of his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That acutally says nothing about his level of play - it says a lot about his health contidion i.e. injuries. E. Lorbek played half of 2012/13 season on bad knie for Barcelona; hence wasn't able to join national team for home EC. Recovery took longer than expected and he joined Barcelona for 2nd half of season. Even than knie coused him some problems, and on top of that he injured ankle.
    Now his knie doesn't allow him to play for NT and he needs few months to recover again - most probably artroscopy will be needed.

That said, he won't play in NBA again - not because of lack of skills, it is because of his health.
    Level of play is determined by a lot of factors. Health is a big one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sic transit gloria Lorbek

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Level of play is determined by a lot of factors. Health is a big one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek isn't coming over. He's also been a disappointment overseas recently, skipping out on the NT and in general sucking in Spain.

His skill-set would be really nice if he ever got back into form, however. I believe he's a stretch-five.
    But of the Spurs own his rights, what is the benefit of the buyout? Do international players get their contracts bought out to switch Euro teams?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But of the Spurs own his rights, what is the benefit of the buyout? Do international players get their contracts bought out to switch Euro teams?
    They do. However...

Lorbek is not leaving because someone else has asked for him, but because Barcelona wanted to part ways. That's completely different than most Euro buyouts (as they pertain to NBA prospects).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do. However...

Lorbek is not leaving because someone else has asked for him, but because Barcelona wanted to part ways. That's completely different than most Euro buyouts (as they pertain to NBA prospects).
    thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bingo, we have a winner. Exactly what I've thought about him. His defense isn't up to snuff either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Ata points out, its health that has been Lorbek's biggest impediment. He has basically crumbled the past two seasons after having a fabulous 2011-12. The Lorbek ship has sailed for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The interesting thing to me is the buyout. I know I've been framing it as Barcelona paying Lorbek to go away (and it still is). But it also can be seen as Erazem giving up guaranteed money to break his deal. The question is why. Does he just want to rest, or did he not like his situation? We'll see.

Thread Information