Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Texas Beats California: No Income Tax, Booming Economy, Friendly Folks
    Written by Bob Adelmann

http://www.thenewamerican.com/econom...friendly-folks

Following Toyota’s announcement April 28 that it would be consolidating its three American business headquarters and moving them from California to a new $300-million campus in Plano, Texas, the debate over why has heated up once again. Toyota follows Occidental Petroleum (which is leaving Los Angeles for Houston, after being there for a hundred years), Raytheon (which is moving its El Segundo headquarters to McKinney, Texas), and Legal Zoom (the largest legal-issues website in the world, which has already moved from Los Angeles to Austin). In the past 18 months more than 50 companies have made the same decision to move from California to Texas.

Some say it’s because of the lower cost of living in Texas. The cost of living in Plano is about a third lower than in the Los Angeles-Long Beach area where Toyota is currently located. As calculated by the Dallas-based conservative think tank National Center for Policy Analysis, “People of all incomes will save in Texas,” according to Pamela Villarreal, a senior fellow at the ins ute. Some will save a little; others will save a lot by moving to Texas to keep their jobs with Toyota. As Villarreal explained, the calculation takes into account property taxes “which are pretty high in Texas” — about twice what they are in California for equivalently priced homes. Once real estate taxes are factored in, a single woman in Texas making $75,000 a year will have about $14,000 more in discretionary income than she would if she lived in California, but married workers making $150,000 a year who move from California to Texas would not see as dramatic a jump in discretionary income.

The Manhattan Ins ute says it makes sense for California companies to make the move to Texas, owing to California’s high taxes, oppressive regulations, expensive electricity, union influence, and the high cost of labor. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), the cost per kilowatt-hour for commercial establishments in California is 13.11 cents while it’s only 8.2 cents in Texas — a saving of almost 40 percent. For industrial users, the savings are even greater: 10.72 cents per KWH in California versus just 5.86 cents in Texas. That cuts a heavy user’s energy bill in Texas nearly in half. Advantage: Texas

The advantage enjoyed by Texas is reflected in the states’ comparative economic growth rates: nearly four percent last year in Texas versus half that in California. In job growth, Texas regained the jobs it lost during the Great Recession by May of 2011 while California just made it back to even by May of this year — a three-year difference in favor of Texas. Since May 2011, Texas has added more than a million new jobs, while California has added barely 25,000 new jobs since this past May. Advantage: Texas

According to the blog 24/7 Wall Street, Texas ranks eighth among the country’s most quickly growing states with GDP growth jumping by $1.5 trillion in 2013. Its population continues to grow as well, with unemployment below the national average. California is well off the pace. Advantage: Texas

Bradley Allen, a pediatric heart surgeon in Paso Robles, just announced his candidacy for Congress in California’s 24th district, and in the process noted the difference between California and Texas in an opinion article at the Wall Street Journal: "Texas has no state income tax, while California’s 13.3% marginal rate is the highest in the country. Electricity rates are about 50%-88% higher compared to Texas due to the Golden State’s renewable-energy mandate, and its gas is 70-80 cents per gallon more expensive because of taxes." Advantage: Texas

Allen’s opponent is in bent Lois Capps, who sports a dismal Freedom Index rating of just 21 out of 100 on cons utional issues. Out of California’s 53 congressional districts, 18 of them have FI ratings of 20 or lower, while just one has an FI rating of 80 or higher. In Texas, by contrast, just three representatives have a rating of 20 or less out of the state’s 36 districts, with one, Rep. Steve Stockman, holding an FI rating of 95. Advantage: Texas

One of the best measures of the difference between the two states is just how much a Californian would have to pay to move his family to Texas. In November 2012, a Californian living in San Francisco would pay $1,693 to rent a 20-foot U-Haul truck and drive it San Antonio. On the other hand, a Texan in San Antonio moving to San Francisco would pay just $893 for the same truck. (Since then the numbers have become even more favorable: A Californian moving his family on August 1 from San Francisco to San Antonio would have to pay $1,890 for the same truck while a Texan moving the other way would pay only $737.) Advantage: Texas

However, David Horsey, writing for the Baltimore Sun, noted that Californians moving to Texas will leave an awful lot behind:

California has Silicon Valley and Hollywood. Texas has oil and gas.

California has Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi. Texas has Ted Cruz and Louie Gohmert.

In California, billionaires get taxed more to pay for programs for the poor. In Texas, billionaires get to keep their money, and the poor go without health care.

[California Governor Jerry] Brown got voters to approve a tax hike to balance the budget and fund education. [Texas Governor Rick] Perry balanced the budget by slashing spending on education.

In lots of places in California, it’s tough to live on a middle class family budget. In lots of places in Texas, it’s hard to live outside a church-going, football-loving, white, heterosexual lifestyle.

Absence of snarky, politically correct, bitter liberals. Advantage: Texas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    keen.

I'll go wave muh Texas flag

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Different strokes. It is costlier to be here--but it is not a liberal playground like so many falsely allude to. I don't have much experience in Texas, but I have been to El Paso and that wasn't very fun. It was like going to Riverside except more hotter.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    California has the scenic beauty going for it that's for sure. Los Angeles and San Francisco are infinitely more impressive than any city Texas has to offer. But when it boils down to that makes me happy, Texas has it covered. Always created my own entertainment for those most part, walking down Sunset Blvd. doesn't necessarily make my life any better.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So that one: "In California, billionaires get taxed more to pay for programs for the poor. In Texas, billionaires get to keep their money, and the poor go without health care." is a + for Texas ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    California has the scenic beauty going for it that's for sure. Los Angeles and San Francisco are infinitely more impressive than any city Texas has to offer. But when it boils down to that makes me happy, Texas has it covered. Always created my own entertainment for those most part, walking down Sunset Blvd. doesn't necessarily make my life any better.
    In California I can go for a run/play sports outside around 300 days out of the year without fear of getting heatstroke. The culture may not be a direct life improvement, but the weather sure as is.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    >The advantage enjoyed by Texas is reflected in the states’ comparative economic growth rates: nearly four percent last year in Texas versus half that in California.

Maybe because California is far and away the largest economy in the country?

California 1 1,846,757
    Texas 2 1,244,695

Congrats, Texas. You're roughly 2/3rds of California's economy despite being a much larger state.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 09-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    [California Governor Jerry] Brown got voters to approve a tax hike to balance the budget and fund education. [Texas Governor Rick] Perry balanced the budget by slashing spending on education.
    This is something to brag about? 'murica.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In California I can go for a run/play sports outside around 300 days out of the year without fear of getting heatstroke. The culture may not be a direct life improvement, but the weather sure as is.
    Yeah weather too forgot about that. I'm used to the heat though. Plus I excercise at the gym anyway. Better way to meet girls.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    >The advantage enjoyed by Texas is reflected in the states’ comparative economic growth rates: nearly four percent last year in Texas versus half that in California.

California 1 1,846,757
    Texas 2 1,244,695

Congrats, Texas. You're roughly 2/3rds of California's economy despite being a much larger state.

What do you get if you divide those numbers by the size of population? I'm guessing those numbers are very close.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What do you get if you divide those numbers by the size of population? I'm guessing those numbers are very close.
    Take away the gas and oil reserves Texas operates, that are very finite in supply, and it's not nearly as close anymore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    California is for gots. Glad Kawhi got out of that ty state.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Steers and s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Take away the gas and oil reserves Texas operates, that are very finite in supply, and it's not nearly as close anymore.
    Well, CA is the third richest state in oil, so that's a wash too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I highly doubt you've ever done that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

California 1 1,846,757
    Texas 2 1,244,695

The land mass argument never gets anywhere.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I highly doubt you've ever done that.

I didn't say that, I said the option is nice. Every single month is prime running/basketball weather here except perhaps February. I'm usually outside doing something active 4-6 days per week, so months that are sub 40 degrees or routinely above 90 are tough at times to keep that going.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I didn't say that, I said the option is nice. Every single month is prime running/basketball weather here except perhaps February. I'm usually outside doing something active 4-6 days per week, so months that are sub 40 degrees or routinely above 90 are tough at times to keep that going.
    All that time outdoors and your ass still hasn't hit Yosemite? smh tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

California 1 1,846,757
    Texas 2 1,244,695

Were also roughly 2/3 of their population dumbass

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you need inside weather to do stuff outside, you're a pussy.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You go run 8 miles on a regular basis in the middle of a Texas summer and let me know how that goes for you.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You go run 8 miles on a regular basis in the middle of a Texas summer and let me know how that goes for you.
    At night it is quite refreshing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    , it seems, that would feel like. Funny, but the majority of these people clamoring 'pussy' probably don't even run 8 miles in a calendar year.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    , it seems, that would feel like. Funny, but the majority of these people clamoring 'pussy' probably don't even run 8 miles in a calendar year.
    That is probably the truth if they are on this site.

Thread Information