They simply don't recruit enought speedy players. Too many slow big guys, few speedy backers. And even in the skill positions they pale in comparision to the other major conferences.

Oregon was on a whole other speed level than MSU. , that VT defense was way too speedy for Ohio State.

When it comes to track we haven't seen any "real" speed coming out of the Big10 since...hmmmmm?....indoor wiz Herb Washington MSU in the 70's. They don't recruit fast athletes in either sport.

Against each other ya don't notice it for obvious reasons, it's when they play Oregon, VT, the SEC.....then it's glaring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope the days of Clemson playing South Carolina State are coming to an end, it's ridiculous. Those HBCU schools have no business playing any of the major conferences teams. It's a whole other level of football.
    Last edited by Avante; 09-07-2014 at 04:54 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Still slow?

Very slow, that's why we never see any world class sprinters or speedy NFLers out of the conference anymore. Ted Ginn Jr, and then...???

The fastest footballer ever out of the Big10 was Michael Bennett a 10.18 cat for Wisconsin.

There was...

Michigan...Butch Woolfolk 9.4
    Purdue...Larry Burton 9.3/Oly 200m
    Ohio St...Len Willis...9.3

That's about it.

While Joey Galloway had a fast 40 he really wasn't a track stud.

Way back in the day (pre 1960) they had some stud tracksters, but once blacks could compete at southern schools there that went.

Tennessee alone has had...

Mike Miller 10.11
    Willie Gault 10.10
    Sam Graddy 10.09 Oly 100m silver
    Leonard Scott 9.91...fastest 100m ever ran by a football player.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-24-2016 at 04:27 AM.

Post Count
    was lance rentzel slow?

was lance rentzel slow?
    Hey Norm.

Compared to world class sprinters he would be. But as a HS trackster and a WR he had "good" speed.

Thread Information