My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is GOAT material!!!!
    drafted by the jazz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure but, who wants to play for the Jazz????!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this guy only has athleticism, but I saw no post moves, jumpshot range or basketball IQ whatsoever in his games during the FIBA WC ... he is just another "anyone"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this guy only has athleticism, but I saw no post moves, jumpshot range or basketball IQ whatsoever in his games during the FIBA WC ... he is just another "anyone"
    The "anyone" has a 7'9" wingspan. a 9'7" standing reach. he's incredibly difficult to shoot over and around. of course he's unpolished. he was only drafted in 2013.. had some injury issues. If he was on the Spurs you would be lauding him as the next great Big man for the Spurs. You dont have to love him, but at least be objective.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure but, who wants to play for the Jazz????!?
    Rudy Gobert, apparently. Which is why he plays there.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago Splitter, Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, ...

Modern centers aren't about shooting and post moves anymore. They're expected to defend, rebound, screen, and finish/pass on P&Rs. Gobert showed some real skills at all of those things. He's still work in progress (his decision making needs to get better; then again he is very inexperienced being in a crappy team with no play time) but he could become very good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "anyone" has a 7'9" wingspan. a 9'7" standing reach. he's incredibly difficult to shoot over and around. of course he's unpolished. he was only drafted in 2013.. had some injury issues. If he was on the Spurs you would be lauding him as the next great Big man for the Spurs. You dont have to love him, but at least be objective.
    Sorry, I am just fed up with these "anyone" threads ... our roster is fine as it is and from my point of view I have not seen anything from Gobert that screams "Spurs type of player" at me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure but... who want's to play for the Jazz???????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Modern centers aren't about shooting and post moves anymore. They're expected to defend, rebound, screen, and finish/pass on P&Rs. Gobert showed some real skills at all of those things. He's still work in progress (his decision making needs to get better; then again he is very inexperienced being in a crappy team with no play time) but he could become very good.
    I do not think Gobert will ever be able to pass the ball like Splitter or Noah. Maybe he can become a defensive anchor like Chandler, but right now his ceiling more seems to be Ibaka i.e. great help defender but not 1-on-1.

It will be interesting how he pans out, but I do not think he ends up with the Spurs ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You need to pull Splitter out of that group, then. Even though the Spurs only partially utilize it, he has some of the best post moves and footwork in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm still pissed we didn't get to draft him tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to pull Splitter out of that group, then. Even though the Spurs only partially utilize it, he has some of the best post moves and footwork in the league.
    Whether it is in SA, Vitoria, or for Brazil, he's never been asked to do a lot of post ups. I agree that he isn't bad, but it furthers my point that it isn't an essential skill, if even good players rarely use it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether it is in SA, Vitoria, or for Brazil, he's never been asked to do a lot of post ups. I agree that he isn't bad, but it furthers my point that it isn't an essential skill, if even good players rarely use it.
    You could never pair Splitter and Gobert, though. Not on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could never pair Splitter and Gobert, though. Not on this team.
    Not on any team. The only two-center lineup that isn't a liability is Duncan-Splitter and that took a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I liked him before, he's like European McGee. It's something the Spurs is missing, an athletic big man. Would be more useful than Ayres. At least this dude can catch properly and actually an intimidating center not like Ayres, looks like a statue. He can also pass decently. Strength would be an issue but he's actually mobile for his size and at least he knows how to utilizae his height and length.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great rebounder and big hands. Sign him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert got picked on spot ahead of the Spurs in 2013 by Denver. I don't think SA would have taken him anyway, since they promised LJC. But I was totally hoping the Spurs were the team that ended up buying the pick instead of Utah. It would have been nice to have a high-ceiling, low-floor player again instead of all these safe bets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah has a nice looking group if big men, at least on paper. Favors, Kantor, Gobert

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert got picked on spot ahead of the Spurs in 2013 by Denver. I don't think SA would have taken him anyway, since they promised LJC. But I was totally hoping the Spurs were the team that ended up buying the pick instead of Utah. It would have been nice to have a high-ceiling, low-floor player again instead of all these safe bets.
    Record shows that Gobert was traded by Denver for a 2nd round pick and cash!

Spurs should have had the inside track on Gobert (given their extensive french connections).

I cannot believe they slipped on this one!

Maybe they were too happy that they got LJC

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Modern centers aren't about shooting and post moves anymore.
    Right, and this is the reason 4s who can't spread the floor to save their life (and even more so 1s to 3s who can't shoot) have little to no place in the modern NBA. There's a difference between a 7 footer with limited range and a 6'8" guy. Someone like Marc Gasol does all of these things and has skills on top of it, which makes him such a valuable piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Record shows that Gobert was traded by Denver for a 2nd round pick and cash!

Spurs should have had the inside track on Gobert (given their extensive french connections).

I cannot believe they slipped on this one!

Maybe they were too happy that they got LJC
    Gobert slipping was at least a mild surprise. They had already promised LJC, so their hands were tied. It would have been nice to get two young defenders out of that draft, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh. he has an up and under. the thing is, his jump hook is terrible, so no clue why people still bite on the "up" of the up n under

Thread Information