Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prediction...Bayes will realize there is no market for him. He takes the QO and is with the Spurs before the first of the month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So by becoming a RFA, he basically fast-forwards his situation one year. Thanks.
    He is an RFA now and will remain an RFA after October 1st if he remains unsigned. I'm not sure what you mean by fast-forwarding his situation.

Part of the problem for Baynes is that if he signs a one year deal, he'll be an RFA again next summer. If he goes to Europe next season, he'll be an RFA if he wants to come back to the NBA. Restricted free agency generally sucks for the players, but they have Billy Hunter to thank for that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a legit center with in a known quan y. We threw him out there against Dwight, and he responded. We threw him out there against Lopez, and he gave us solid minutes. He matches up well against other 7 footers.

I told you before the playoffs started that Baynes was going to be the 4th big, and he largely was. When Tiago gets in foul trouble, and we need an actual big, that's our guy. Ayres or Bonner just don't match up well against other tall centers.
    But not a legit 7 foot one. He played well in game one against the Trail Blazers and people wet their pants and acted as if that encompassed the entire playoffs. Overall, his playoff numbers were still poor though.

He was only the fourth big when they could get away with playing Duncan and Splitter together. When they couldn't, Bonner was.

Look, he's fine as a third center, particularly when the top two are of the quality of Duncan and Splitter. But what Ayres has going for him that Baynes doesn't is, he already has a contract and they have two starting centers, plus three power forwards. If it were the other way around, I'd be saying the same things about Ayres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry Mel, not avoiding it. I don't think the Spurs should offer a cent more unless there's an actual possibility he might bolt. I suspect that possibility is real. Pure speculation, obviously.

So by becoming a RFA, he basically fast-forwards his situation one year. Thanks.
    If the Spurs pull the QO, nothing changes except their responsibility to pay him a guaranteed deal this season. If he signs an offer sheet, they can still match. If they ultimately offer him some kind of one year contract, he's STILL a RFA next year. If he goes overseas, he's still their asset, and would be matchable if he were to want to come back to the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is an RFA now and will remain an RFA after October 1st if he remains unsigned. I'm not sure what you mean by fast-forwarding his situation.

Part of the problem for Baynes is that if he signs a one year deal, he'll be an RFA again next summer. If he goes to Europe next season, he'll be an RFA if he wants to come back to the NBA. Restricted free agency generally sucks for the players, but they have Billy Hunter to thank for that.
    If the Spurs pull the QO, nothing changes except their responsibility to pay him a guaranteed deal this season. If he signs an offer sheet, they can still match. If they ultimately offer him some kind of one year contract, he's STILL a RFA next year. If he goes overseas, he's still their asset, and would be matchable if he were to want to come back to the NBA.
    Thanks, I got things mixed up. Makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But not a legit 7 foot one. He played well in game one against the Trail Blazers and people wet their pants and acted as if that encompassed the entire playoffs. Overall, his playoff numbers were still poor though.

He was only the fourth big when they could get away with playing Duncan and Splitter together. When they couldn't, Bonner was.

Look, he's fine as a third center, particularly when the top two are of the quality of Duncan and Splitter. But what Ayres has going for him that Baynes doesn't is, he already has a contract and they have two starting centers, plus three power forwards. If it were the other way around, I'd be saying the same things about Ayres.
    I get your point. I do understand that Ayres having a contract makes him expendable. I would add he gave us solid minutes against the Lakers the previous playoffs, and he gave us solid minutes against OKC in the WCF these playoffs too.

IMO, it's not about wetting pants, he's a marginal talent after all. It's about the versatility of having a big man that matches up well against tall, physical centers. Tiago normally takes on that role, but when he's in foul trouble, that's Baynes. Neither Bonner or Ayers fit that bill. Bonner's role is completely different, he's a floor spacer, he's a natural backup to Boris. We're talking $2m for marginal talent that's a good fit for our roster. If it's more than $2m or more than one year, then sure, the equation changes.

It's not like the Spurs are tiptoeing the luxury tax or anything like that. I also think, in a vacuum, he would be more valuable than Ayres or Daye.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get rid of Errors and Austin and sign the boy!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get your point. I do understand that Ayres having a contract makes him expendable. I would add he gave us solid minutes against the Lakers the previous playoffs, and he gave us solid minutes against OKC in the WCF these playoffs too.

IMO, it's not about wetting pants, he's a marginal talent after all. It's about the versatility of having a big man that matches up well against tall, physical centers. Tiago normally takes on that role, but when he's in foul trouble, that's Baynes. Neither Bonner or Ayers fit that bill. Bonner's role is completely different, he's a floor spacer, he's a natural backup to Boris. We're talking $2m for marginal talent that's a good fit for our roster. If it's more than $2m or more than one year, then sure, the equation changes.

It's not like the Spurs are tiptoeing the luxury tax or anything like that. I also think, in a vacuum, he would be more valuable than Ayres or Daye.
    Duncan and Splitter are going to play the vast majority of meaningful minutes (and even more in the playoffs, obviously) against those and every other kind of center, though. If they need a third center for five mpg against Howard or whoever you want to name, in the playoffs, whether it's Ayres or Baynes isn't going to make a difference. You act like Ayres is Daye when it comes to strength.

It's not about the money, so much as it is the principal. You don't bid against yourself, especially for minimal talent, who's similar to a player already under contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told you before the playoffs started that Baynes was going to be the 4th big, and he largely was.
    According to BBR, Baynes was the 4th big only in MPG (and the difference between Bonner and him was literally only 1 MPG). Bonner played in more games during the playoffs and logged more minutes total.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are going to play it cool. He'll either be signed at or close to QO or go somewhere else, who knows maybe Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan and Splitter are going to play the vast majority of meaningful minutes (and even more in the playoffs, obviously) against those and every other kind of center, though. If they need a third center for five mpg against Howard or whoever you want to name, in the playoffs, whether it's Ayres or Baynes isn't going to make a difference. You act like Ayres is Daye when it comes to strength.

It's not about the money, so much as it is the principal. You don't bid against yourself, especially for minimal talent, who's similar to a player already under contract.
    Pop has been actually trying to get Tim away from having to deal with the grind of matching up with physical centers. That's Tiago's job. Sure, Tim can do it, but you want to avoid him spending energy on that end.

About the money/principle, that's why I said "I understand the nature of the business". I understand the Spurs are on the driver's seat in this negotiation and they don't have to offer a single extra dime. I'm just saying that, in a vacuum, Baynes is worth $2m (for our team, I don't know the equation works as well for other teams).

According to BBR, Baynes was the 4th big only in MPG (and the difference between Bonner and him was literally only 1 MPG). Bonner played in more games during the playoffs and logged more minutes total.
    That's because Pop eventually went with the "starting Bonner" gimmick after Game 4 of the WCF. They have very distinct roles. Bonner plays because Pop thinks he's a mismatch against shot blockers with limited inside offense (Ibaka/Birdman), Baynes plays largely to match up with sturdy centers (Dwight/Lopez/Adams).

Both matchups are fine with me, and we still have Bonner (and Diaw, which IMO fills up Bonner's role even better). But against teams like the Rockets or the Blazers, Baynes value becomes much more apparent, especially when Tiago is in foul trouble.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is clunky on both ends. He can get physical with other bigs, but that's pretty much it. Sometimes all it takes is for Baynes to stand in front of a jump shooting Aldridge, but otherwise he's a liability on D and on offense he just struggles outside of 2 feet, both with his shot andt his ball handling.

If we lose him, good riddance. If we don't, whatever. But 2 mil a year is NOTHING for a decent big man, which Baynes absolutely is considering the god-awful pool of big men currently in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

he hasn't even gotten an offer. its not like if he was unrestricted he'd have significantly more offers . RFA's worthy of contracts tend to get contracts if they want them.
    I also think, in a vacuum, he would be more valuable than Ayres or Daye.
    Vacuum, basketball arena, etc. etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , we won a ship, kept Mills, signed Diaw, may have gotten a nice Rookie, got one of the best Euro coaches, own the first female NBA coach.
    And now we have a 4 site post about our 5th big which won't make a difference anyway.

Not that I'm not guilty of that too (my reason beeing the nostalgic thought of bringing 100% of the champs back).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Errors is making a bit over 1.8 million this year, which is mind numbingly stupid. throw in the milion or so that Daye is making and that's $3 million that the spurs are literally burning in a barrel.

As Duncan/Splitter injury and rest insurance and the fact that he was actually productive in the playoffs (I don't think he would've been scared of Blair in the playoffs), I think he's worth the money. And if he actually got regular minutes during the season instead of Pender , I think he would develop even more. But no...spurs wanna sign and trade him so they can continue sucking off Errors, Daye, and Boner
    B-b-but we have the best FO in the league

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B-b-but we have the best FO in the league
    Which one is better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which one is better?
    I was kidding even on our worst days, our front office does more with less.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs would like to keep Baynes if possible but a lot of it depends on Duncan IMO. If they knew Duncan plans to retire after this coming season, they would probably be much hotter on keeping Baynes and less worried about what to pay him. If Duncan stays on, even at a reduced price, cap space becomes much more of an issue so they have to act as if Duncan will be back at this point. I think they would be fine with Baynes' taking the QO and kick the can down the road until Duncan makes up his mind. They might be just as happy to sign someone like Ayon if they are willing to sign a one-year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in Baynes is smart.... he would stick with the spurs till Timmy retires then we can pay him what he wants.

To bad his agent sucks to realize this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

4 years of control is pretty universal in leagues without an an rust exemption.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he hasn't even gotten an offer. its not like if he was unrestricted he'd have significantly more offers . RFA's worthy of contracts tend to get contracts if they want them.

How do you know what offers he has or has not had? It's not like all negotiations are done via twitter and ESPN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd pay him $2MM. I like having a Will Perdue/Kevin Willis enforcer on the roster. Baynes is a big body to throw in to tire out the other team's big man.

That said, the Spurs will sign him for less I think.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has been actually trying to get Tim away from having to deal with the grind of matching up with physical centers. That's Tiago's job. Sure, Tim can do it, but you want to avoid him spending energy on that end.

About the money/principle, that's why I said "I understand the nature of the business". I understand the Spurs are on the driver's seat in this negotiation and they don't have to offer a single extra dime. I'm just saying that, in a vacuum, Baynes is worth $2m (for our team, I don't know the equation works as well for other teams).
    No, it isn't. It's Splitter's job to guard stretch/mobile power forwards. Duncan is the primary defender against low post centers and though he can occasionally be physically overwhelmed (mainly due to his weight loss in recent seasons), he's still among the best straight up low post defenders in the league.

Diaw did struggle mightily guarding Aldridge, but despite that, Baynes never defended him. He is useful against Howard, but like I said, if they play the Rockets in a series, Duncan and Splitter (in that order) will get the Howard assignment and if they have to buy a few minutes here or there with Diaw or Ayres on him, so be it. That's not going to decide the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 mil is a bit high but it does seem fair, especialy with the amount of money Errors is getting. Wouldnt you not want more then errors?

But yea keeping Errors glued to the bench is worth 2 mil imo

Thread Information