Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Money has kept Baynes and the Spurs from coming to an agreement, and it doesn't look like that gap will be closing soon. On the first day of free agency, the team extended a $1.1 million qualifying offer and made him a restricted free agent, but the 6'10" center believes his worth is closer to $2 million a year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...011443102.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The closest comparison might be Bonner's last and current contract.

Bonner at $3M was considered overpaid. Bonner at the minimum raised few eyebrows, if any.

Would Baynes at $2M be considered an overpay for a 4th/5th big?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems a team like the Sixers could drop $2M on him and it wouldn't be such a bad deal.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banes will be gone...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get that in the Euroleague easy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Errors ing the Spurs over again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayres, he doesn't belong in the nba, Baynes should've been signed already. Give him consistent playing time and see what he can do.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're ing kidding me. $900,000 a year is stopping the Spurs from signing Baynes? Does he want a 4-5 year deal or something? The Spurs aren't even close to hitting the luxury tax since they're not using the MLE this year, so this makes no sense unless Baynes is asking for a long term contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude has a ring so now he is looking to get paidPERIOD

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to break it to him, but if no one has offered him $2 million, he's not worth that much. I guess this could be a Bledsoe deal on a smaller scale. Teams know Spurs will match $2 million so why bother. Spurs get him for $1.1 because no one else makes him an offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played 592 total minutes last year. The Spurs offered 1.1 million which would be $1858 per minute of court time. Baynes wants 2 million which would be $3378 per minute of court time. Baynes should just take the 1.1 offer and prove himself to get more $ next year. 1.1 million is a lot of coin either way you look at it. I don't even want to know what Ayres gets paid per minute of court time!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even want to know what Ayres gets paid per minute of court time!
    About the same as Baynes, if we use his salary from last year. $1838 per minute.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id give him 2mil a year for 2 years in a heart beat... If he wanted more years though.. idk

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About the same as Baynes, if we use his salary from last year. $1838 per minute.

I wish it was like 1mil per minute for Ayers tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The closest comparison might be Bonner's last and current contract.

Bonner at $3M was considered overpaid. Bonner at the minimum raised few eyebrows, if any.

Would Baynes at $2M be considered an overpay for a 4th/5th big?
    Bonner signed that contract as a 4 year deal, the last year was $3.9 million (which was an overpay) For the vet. min he is fine. For $2 million its not really an overpay but it seems the Spurs just aren't that in love with him.

They may already have some one else in mind or prefer to keep the spot open for someone better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he needs a new agent. His current agent hasn't been able to find any team that agrees with Aron's assessment of his value.

Or follow the example that Patty set for him last summer and actually earn a bigger payday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id give him 2mil a year for 2 years in a heart beat... If he wanted more years though.. idk
    Why would you give him 2 mil when you can have him for 1.1M? No one is coming in with another offer. Why would you bid against yourself?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should pay him I mean they slept with Errors...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody should be angry at Ayres for the current situation. Baynes is not worth 2 mil simply because nobody in the market has offered him that money. Spurs shouldn't offer him 2 mil let him pout and whine and then he will come crawling back when no team gives him the money he wants or he might go to Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you give him 2 mil when you can have him for 1.1M? No one is coming in with another offer. Why would you bid against yourself?
    Because he could bolt in favor of the more lucrative offers in the Euroleague, and the Spurs aren't going to get a better 4th / 5th big than Baynes in the current free agent market.

You're ing kidding me. $900,000 a year is stopping the Spurs from signing Baynes? Does he want a 4-5 year deal or something? The Spurs aren't even close to hitting the luxury tax since they're not using the MLE this year, so this makes no sense unless Baynes is asking for a long term contract.
    Exactly. Just pay the man his $2M. He more than proved his worth in FIBA. If anything, just taking Errors' minutes in the regular season rotation already more than makes him worth the extra $900K.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I said it weeks ago, but I think Baynes saw what Ayres is getting and he thinks he's worth at least that much. I think he feels like he's a better player and probably doesn't want to come back for less money while Ayres is getting paid more. Who knows, maybe he dominates Ayres in practice?

I hope he realizes Ayres is overpaid. If not, someone should tell him that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he needs a new agent. His current agent hasn't been able to find any team that agrees with Aron's assessment of his value.
    I don't know about this. It's also plausible he has such an offer from an Euro team ($2m is, relatively speaking, pocket change), but would rather stay in the NBA if the Spurs are willing.

I always liked Baynes, tbh... I'm with baseline bum, penny-pinching a guy that was relatively useful in consecutive, deep playoff runs just doesn't look ok, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he could bolt in favor of the more lucrative offers in the Euroleague, and the Spurs aren't going to get a better 4th / 5th big than Baynes in the current free agent market.
    Who cares? Baynes is what is known as a 'replacement level player'. If the Spurs can take a 26 YO undrafted Aussie and turn him into an NBA roster player, there probably is 50 guys out there they can do that with. There is nothing special, basketball-wise, about Aron Baynes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I said it weeks ago, but I think Baynes saw what Ayres is getting and he thinks he's worth at least that much. I think he feels like he's a better player and probably doesn't want to come back for less money while Ayres is getting paid more. Who knows, maybe he dominates Ayres in practice?
    Stephen Jackson got cut right before the 2013 playoffs for just that kind of thinking. Pop won't have any of it. Baynes had better recognize.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good luck to Aron where ever he ends up. My big surprise is that the Mav's have not offered
    him a contract yet...In the past years they have signed $$$$ our big's that we let go.

Thread Information