Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting read:

"Of all the fairy-tale redemption stories the 2013-14 San Antonio Spurs achieved, my favorite -- even more than Manu Ginobili or Tiago Splitter -- has to be Danny Green, even though it's a narrative that isn't all that well-known or recognized outside of our little corner of the world."

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/...it-danny-green

Sorry if someone elso already posted it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fantastic article. Never noticed that exchange between Pop and Green.

Here's how you can tell the writer is either a Spurs fan, or really did his homework:

It's always amusing to hear talking heads compare Leonard to former Spur Bruce Bowen when the better comp had been on the same roster all along. Leonard has size, length and most of all the kind of talent that Bowen couldn't dream of having. Green on the other hand is not an explosive, quick-twitch athlete. He's not coordinated enough to make layups consistently. Dribbling, to be kind, is an adventure. Perhaps no one in the NBA has air-balled more 10-foot floaters the past three seasons. To say that Green lacks typical NBA skills would be an understatement.

Who would've thought three years ago that this random pluck out of the DLeague (at a time when the Spurs were constantly shuffling through the Alonzo Gees, Garrett Temples, and Malik Hairstons of the league) would evolve to be a championship-caliber starting SG, not to mention a record-holder for Finals threes?

Thanks for posting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fascinating to know how much and how often Pop got on Green's case all season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green has quickly become one of my favorite all-time Spurs.

He had a great playoff run this year. Nice article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people here have mentioned this before, how Pop has taken the "Tony Parker" approach with Green, where he's very hard on him, stopping just short of Adrian Peterson tactics..

It may be a reason for the limitation on Green's minutes when he's struggling, too, it's the only logical explanation IMO(you could argue that he sat him for Belinelli early on for offensive purposes, but realistically, Green is just as good as him on offense in the Spurs system, if not better, tbh)..

Pop's approach seems to be working, as Green has had 2 of the greatest playoff shooting runs in NBA history since his disappearing act in 2012..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people here have mentioned this before, how Pop has taken the "Tony Parker" approach with Green, where he's very hard on him, stopping just short of Adrian Peterson tactics..

It may be a reason for the limitation on Green's minutes when he's struggling, too, it's the only logical explanation IMO(you could argue that he sat him for Belinelli early on for offensive purposes, but realistically, Green is just as good as him on offense in the Spurs system, if not better, tbh)..

Pop's approach seems to be working, as Green has had 2 of the greatest playoff shooting runs in NBA history since his disappearing act in 2012..
    Pop really is a genius

Its too bad Marco never really panned out, although we didn't need him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop really is a genius

You say this as if Belinelli had been a failure for years with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop really is a genius

Marco was hugely instrumental in numerous regular season games, enabling us to secure the #1 seed while keeping Manu fresh for the playoffs. In my mind he was very successful even if his post season performance wasn't that great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope we can convince him to stay here but I don't think we're going to be able to afford him at the price he's going to be asking...
    Last edited by SupremeGuy; 09-17-2014 at 05:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green's contract will really depend on next year. If the Spurs disappoint, he'll probably get about what Sef got. If they make the Finals again, he'll probably get closer to what Diaw got. If he has another record-breaking performance, he may get as much as Channing Frye. However, the only way I see anyone giving him a lot of money (that he'd go to) would be if the Knicks backed up the truck for him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green's contract will really depend on next year. If the Spurs disappoint, he'll probably get about what Sef got. If they make the Finals again, he'll probably get closer to what Diaw got. If he has another record-breaking performance, he may get as much as Channing Frye. However, the only way I see anyone giving him a lot of money (that he'd go to) would be if the Knicks backed up the truck for him.

He's arguably better than Klay Thompson. I feel like someone will make a redic offer for him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's arguably better than Klay Thompson. I feel like someone will make a redic offer for him
    We understand that. Most NBA GMs don't. They're a stupid group, most of whom think that placating fans is more important than making the right signing.

The thing that SA has going for them is that most teams that have money frankly suck, and Danny wouldn't help them, and most teams that Danny could help won't have money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We understand that. Most NBA GMs don't. They're a stupid group, most of whom think that placating fans is more important than making the right signing.
    Preach brother, Amen! Most GMs just want that "well I hired the biggest name out there" chip to fall back on in bad times. Like when their ass is bout to get fired. Even though "player x" fits into your system like a square peg in a round hole....

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The article points out something most reflections on the 2013 finals skip over in their eagerness to blame Ginobili (he deserves his share to be sure): Danny Green went from a brilliant first 5-ish games to absolutely horrendous final 2. If he had been even close to average in either of those two games the Spurs win the series. Hopefully Danny is smart enough to appreciate what got him over the hump. He's already said he wants to be a Spur for life, so unless somebody backs the truck up he should be re-signable. With the cap looking like it's going to go up significantly the Spurs will have the money to resign him. If he keeps his head on he's worth 6-7M a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny is going to get PAID in free agency, unless he goes Ray Rice this year. Dude is an elite wing defender, an elite transition defender, and one of the best 3 pt shooters in the game. Dude averages 45% from range on 4.5 attempts/game in the playoffs the past 4 years! All while containing the best 2/3s the league has to offer in the biggest moments. Hopefully he takes an SA discount of around 8-9m/year but he will be offered 8 figures/yr by some teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard will terrorize the NBA's best backcourts for many years to come. They've already defeated DurACNE, Chimpbrook, Lebron, and Wade. Nothing will surprise these two anymore, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The article points out something most reflections on the 2013 finals skip over in their eagerness to blame Ginobili (he deserves his share to be sure): Danny Green went from a brilliant first 5-ish games to absolutely horrendous final 2. If he had been even close to average in either of those two games the Spurs win the series. Hopefully Danny is smart enough to appreciate what got him over the hump. He's already said he wants to be a Spur for life, so unless somebody backs the truck up he should be re-signable. With the cap looking like it's going to go up significantly the Spurs will have the money to resign him. If he keeps his head on he's worth 6-7M a year.
    Nobody missed that point. People on ST tore into him, especially after those photos of him and Lebron surfaced. It certainly didn't go lost on Green, whose tweets after the series showed how hard his taking it.

I will say that I haven't heard Green express a desire to be a Spur for life. Rather, I recall him saying that he wanted to play for contenders his hole career and that he felt he owed the Spurs for taking him in in 2011. Debt paid, I imagine. I think he'll want to stay if the club looks good, and he may even give up some money if that's what it takes to land a premier free agent. But I don't think he'll be giving discounts for the of it.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody missed that point. People on ST tore into him, especially after those photos of him and Lebron surfaced. It certainly didn't go lost on Green, whose tweets after the series showed how hard his taking it.

I will say that I haven't heard Green express a desire to be a Spur for life. Rather, I recall him saying that he wanted to play for contenders his hole career and that he felt he owed the Spurs for taking him in in 2011. Debt paid, I imagine. I think he'll want to stay if the club looks good, and he may even give up some money if that's what it takes to land a premier free agent. But I don't think he'll be giving discounts for the of it.
    At the time, sure he caught . But the evolving shorthand on the 2013 finals has become "Turnobili lost the series" and "Manu owes us from 2006 and 2013". These days not very many people mention Green's generous contributions to the collapse. I can't remember exactly when I heard the Spur for life comment. Seems like it might have been a youtube video of somebody asking green of he wanted to stay in SA? I don't expect him to take a Duncan sized pay cut or anything, nor should he. But I'm sure he realizes how being in SA has brought out the best in him and hopefully he values that. Some players don't or have other priorities (Jack the first time). 4 years 30 million might be a discount, will have to see what he does this season. But guys who have to be coached that hard rarely live up to huge contracts once they get them. At least in Green's case it's carelessness and not selfishness that is the issue. Maybe they can stipulate that he has to take his ritalin before every game in the new contract...
    Last edited by Mark in Austin; 09-17-2014 at 11:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also, for a guy who came into town with a reputation of overvaluing himself...has he really gotten over that?

Or does a ring and a place in the record books make him chase the big money?

Legitimate question, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just look at Barea. The wolves are on the verge of buying his contract out.

Heck even Ariza stank in Houston & Washington. It's all about the system tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just look at Barea. The wolves are on the verge of buying his contract out.

Heck even Ariza stank in Houston & Washington. It's all about the system tbh.
    From the Wizards games I saw during the playoffs, I thought Ariza played well for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the Wizards games I saw during the playoffs, I thought Ariza played well for them.
    Contract year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say that I haven't heard Green express a desire to be a Spur for life.
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sa...-for-the-ages/

Green wants to be a Spur for life. “I’m staying here as long as they’ll keep me around,” he said, before bolting to find his family.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard will terrorize the NBA's best backcourts for many years to come. They've already defeated DurACNE, Chimpbrook, Lebron, and Wade. Nothing will surprise these two anymore, tbh.
    They also dominated the Splash Brothers in 2013 after Pop adjusted the defensive assignments after Game 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny is possibly the best defender in the league on those small, fast guards who love to dribble. Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Lillard types.

He is the type of guy that if on an opposition team, you could imagine he would do very well on Parker.

Thread Information