Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So who do you drop off the top 5 list to make room for Kobe?
    1) Jordan
    2) Kareem
    3) Wilt
    4) Russell
    5) Duncan
    6) Hakeem
    7) Shaq
    8) Moses
    9) Magic
    10) Bird
    11) Lebron
    Where did you read it was in order?
    1. They players are in a numbered list. Doh.

2. You have a numbered list and ask who do you drop out of the top 5 to make room for Kobe. How were people expected to answer if you weren't providing a top 5 list as a reference? If I answered "I'd drop Moses out of the top 5" you would have said..."Can't you read? He's not in the top 5."
    Last edited by namlook; 09-21-2014 at 03:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. They players are in a numbered list. Doh.

2. You have a numbered list and ask who do you drop out of the top 5 to make room for Kobe. How were people expected to answer if you weren't providing a top 5 list as a reference? If I answered "I'd drop Moses out of the top 5" you would have said..."Can't you read? He's not in the top 5."
    A numbered list means it's in order? Since when? And since when does it mean I. Order of greatness?

It's in the order of who pops up in my mind.

You run into conclusions with nothing to back it up.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've been saying it for awhile... Dirk is the best white player of all time and it ain't even close, tbh..

Bird would be a rich man's Chandler Parsons today, tbh..
    Is this troll bait?
    Look I do think Bird is "a bit" overrated, but no Dirk is not better. Though I agree that this era is better than the 90's ... Harlem's top ten is ridiculous. And Placing guys like KG and Dirk one hit championship wonders over Bird/Magic is why i hate the advanced metrics ers (though Magic and Bird still have solid numbers).

Let's take a look at Bird vs. Dirk. Not only has Bird put up multiple legit MVP seasons (before the award got sentimental) he did so in an era when Magic, Isiah, Kareem, Moses and later MJ all had strong cases for the award. If you watched the games, his passing alone gives him an edge on Dirk. Rebounding favors dirk but considering the size advantage it is closer than you would think.

Dirk's 2011 regular/post season (finals was just good) was as amazing as anything Bird ever did shooting/scoring wise imho. But to say he is better than Bird is borderline stupid. Dirk is a pioneer he proved Euros were not soft is probably the best shooting big man in the NBA's long history and if not for Duncan probably the best PF (along with KG) in a stacked era for the position.

But no he is not greater than Bird. Bird is overrated by many but these posts are flat out disrespectful tbh.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Bird was a soft whitey that benefited from a soft white league and a legendary supporting cast. That's a fact and HH knows it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larry Bird played in a league that was 25% White Americans on a team that was heavily supported and marketed by the league..

Dirk dominated in a league full of brothers and International players..

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Please. He found a blind squirrel who could throw acorns into a bathtub for 2 months. I repeat:::please.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Please. He found a blind squirrel who could throw acorns into a bathtub for 2 months. I repeat:::please.
    Shut the up, you old piece of . No one asked for your opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You didn't even try & defend it. Just laid there, like a $3 .

Big shots.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying Bird was overrated because 25% of the league is white, while praising the league right now when the championship was won by a team that borrowed the offense from Euro-ball, which came from whitey Europe, is hilarious.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Saying Bird was overrated because 25% of the league is white, while praising the league right now when the championship was won by a team that borrowed the offense from Euro-ball, which came from whitey Europe, is hilarious.
    Not only that but it's racist. I get historically blacks have dominated the league over the past 30 years but Bird also excelled when most of the best players were black. Sure there were more players with the same color skin in the 80's but he still was competing against Dr.J, Nique and outplaying them as a slow white guy who could think the game.

Again much like Paul I think bird is a bit overrated. But he absolutely is top 10 player out of the guys I have seen with my own eyes. As a passer only guys with = or > vision: Magic, Stockton, Kidd and Lebron.

Shoudl Mj get points taken away because he spent many of his GOAT moments hitting shots over Ehlo, Hornacek and Ainge?
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 09-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    My only issue is when guys take him over Kareem, Duncan Kobe, Shaq, Magic and even Lebron. He was amazingly good definitely top 10. But guys that argue top 3 or 5 are wrong. And no Dirk is not greater. Closest white guy to him, but no ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only that but it's racist. I get historically blacks have dominated the league over the past 30 years but Bird also excelled then too. Sure there were more players with the same color skin in the 80's but he still was competing against Dr.J, Nique and outplaying them as a slow white guy who could think the game.

Again much like Paul I think bird is a bit overrated. But he absolutely is top 10 player out of the guys I have seen with my own eyes. As a passer only guys with = or > vision: Magic, Stockton, Kidd and Lebron.
    Racist for sure, that really goes without saying.

I actually thought that Bird was overrated in his days, but is becoming underrated as time passes on. Almost like the reverse of Hakeem. Part of it has to do with his injuries, and part of it has to do with the fact that he is not overly athletic. His defense was also undersold mostly because he's unathletic and white (Magic wasn't that athletic either, but he's a brother so it's all fine), which is really a shame because that is what ignorant racists do.

When you look at Bird's ability to anticipate, it's really unbelievable. His defense was much better than what people give him credit for specifically because of his ability to anticipate as well.

Phenomenal passer, great shooter, clutch as they come, dirty, and one of the best trash talkers. Bird is no doubt a top 10, and his peak rivals the peak of anyone who ever played (including Kareem, MJ, and Shaq).

Troll-baiting is all fun and good, but it's a shame people are being racist about it. it absolutely ignores the significance of racism, and undermines issues the league has faced and is facing right now.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Racist for sure, that really goes without saying.

I actually thought that Bird was overrated in his days, but is becoming underrated as time passes on. Almost like the reverse of Hakeem. Part of it has to do with his injuries, and part of it has to do with the fact that he is not overly athletic. His defense was also undersold mostly because he's unathletic and white (Magic wasn't that athletic either, but he's a brother so it's all fine), which is really a shame because that is what ignorant racists do.

When you look at Bird's ability to anticipate, it's really unbelievable. His defense was much better than what people give him credit for specifically because of his ability to anticipate as well.

Phenomenal passer, great shooter, clutch as they come, dirty, and one of the best trash talkers. Bird is no doubt a top 10, and his peak rivals the peak of anyone who ever played (including Kareem, MJ, and Shaq).

Troll-baiting is all fun and good, but it's a shame people are being racist about it. it absolutely ignores the significance of racism, and undermines issues the league has faced and is facing right now.
    Great post. someone mentioned in the Paul thread a similar sentiment you just dont want the ball in that player's hands in the end of the game if you are rooting for the opposing side. Bird was the epitome of that. I know there are few dudes (funny Dirk , Ray and Reggie are the closest) that made my heart stop when the game was on the line (3pt lead or less) then when Larry Legend had the ball late in a game. Not just when playing my Lakers but many nights when the Pistons, Knicks bulls etc thought they had the Celts beat Larry would make a play to win. The steal by Bird and I think the assist to beat the Lakers in 1985 (IIRC) were plays where he did not even shoot but made the play to win the game. He was like Lebron with even more alpha tendencies to take big shots. Just a great player. And I am not knocking dirk ...who may even be a greater shooter ... but he is NOT a better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great post. someone mentioned in the Paul thread a similar sentiment you just dont want the ball in that player's hands in the end of the game if you are rooting for the opposing side. Bird was the epitome of that. I know there are few dudes (funny Dirk , Ray and Reggie are the closest) that made my heart stop when the game was on the line (3pt lead or less) then when Larry Legend had the ball late in a game. Not just when playing my Lakers but many nights when the Pistons, Knicks bulls etc thought they had the Celts beat Larry would make a play to win. The steal by Bird and I think the assist to beat the Lakers in 1985 (IIRC) were plays where he did not even shoot but made the play to win the game. He was like Lebron with even more alpha tendencies to take big shots. Just a great player. And I am not knocking dirk ...who may even be a greater shooter ... but he is NOT a better player.
    That steal and pass to DJ was unreal vs. the Pistons was unreal. To take it away from an all time great Isiah (I think, and why would you have a PG inbound?) to win a ball game was one of those things that fans don't get to see every year. That Tayshaun Prince block on Reggie or Kawhi strip on Westbrook were great plays, but you see chase down blocks once in a while. You do not see inbound steals followed by a no look pass to win a ball game that often.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That steal and pass to DJ was unreal vs. the Pistons was unreal. To take it away from an all time great Isiah (I think, and why would you have a PG inbound?) to win a ball game was one of those things that fans don't get to see every year. That Tayshaun Prince block on Reggie or Kawhi strip on Westbrook were great plays, but you see chase down blocks once in a while. You do not see inbound steals followed by a no look pass to win a ball game that often.
    That was either bad coaching or bad ego by Thomas, tbh. Wouldnt you want Thomas to catch that pass? And dont you want a player with better height to see over the inbound defender? A great coach like Chuck should have never let it happen. But to take that series away from the Pistons and have the presence of mind to get the pass off was amazing. Dj cutting when he did was also a great play and be able to make that under duress by both guys was amazing. As a kid, I hated Larry I was all about Magic. but im an adult and appreciate all he did. He also was a great playoff rebounder (like Dirk) it doesnt get enough credit either.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh and It was bird to Dennis Johnson in 1985 finals Magic got an offensive rebound to put the Lakers up by one (kareem missed a hook) and Bird drew the double team and kicked it out to DJ for the game winner. It wasn't as amazing as the Pistons play but broke my heart just the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

comparing White American basketball players to European basketball players..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    comparing White American basketball players to European basketball players..
    What's the difference? Care to explain with anything more than an emoticon?

White American basketball players like Kevin love is really struggling in this golden age of basketball.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What's the difference? Care to explain with anything more than an emoticon?

White American basketball players like Kevin love is really struggling in this golden age of basketball.
    Great example, Amb. Another player with very good anticpation (for boards) and passing skills. If you can play you can play. I remember Cwebb predicted him as a bust I bet you can find the proof on youtube because he felt he was slow and undersized. TBF, Love has reshaped his body but again if you can play nothing else matters. when I played HS ball there was always that all white school in the city or state playoffs that inner city schools doubted but could really ball. I have played with very good filipino and hispanic players. Only thing that limits you in hoops is height ...but if you can ball that can be overcome too ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one of the five greatest players in NBA history

No in way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White American Players who finished top 50 in PER last year (>500 minutes played)
    Kevin Love (3rd)
    Brook Lopez (7th, I consider him white)
    David Lee (40th)
    Mason Plumlee (44th)
    Ryan Anderseon (46th)

20% in top 10, 10% in top 50, in a league that, according to Malik Hairston, is NOT 25% white American players. So in terms of productivity, white American players are at least average based on weighted average.

Non American white players:
    Dirk Nowitzki (12th)
    Goran Dragic (20th)
    Nikola Pekovic (23rd)
    Manu Ginobili (29th)
    MVPau (37th)
    Nikola Vucevic (49th)

Which adds another 6 players. Overall, 11 of the top 50 PER players in the league last year were white players, which translates to 22% of the league. I guess colour doesn't really make much of difference in productivity ... unless, of course, you are racist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw that too, and was scratching my head. The author must have meant five greatest SG in NBA history.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I saw that too, and was scratching my head. The author must have meant five greatest SG in NBA history.
    It was just an opinion. He could very well be misinformed ... but it is just his rankings. Just as ty as 99% of the posters on here tbh ...

Thread Information