Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash both enter this season with a ton of questions surrounding them. After playing in 21 combined games last season and both being in the twilight of their careers, many wonder what level each is capable of playing at this season.
    Thankfully, the work ethic of both future Hall of Famers has never been in question. As Jeremy Lin told the LA Daily News’ Mark Medina, both Nash and Kobe are looking good this summer:

Lin didn’t stop there, telling Medina about how systematic both are in their workouts this offseason:

It’s been eye opening to see how Steve and Kobe are almost like robots in what they do. They know what they came here to do. They get it done, and then they leave. It’s very detail oriented and very robotic and they don’t mess around.

A healthy Kobe and Nash will go a long way towards getting the Lakers back to relevancy in the Western Conference. Both come into this season with a lot to prove, and both love proving doubters wrong.

Nash has been getting rave reviews from anyone who has seen him play this summer and Kobe has not only taken to getting himself ready, but has worked out with a number of teammates as well. If both can regain close to their previous form, it gives Lakers fans a reason for cautious optimism.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's over.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Can you imagine if it were true and we garnered #17 next June? After those two months in hibernation I'd come in here a whoopin' & a hollerin'. Oh, man, I'd be happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you imagine if it were true and we garnered #17 next June? After those two months in hibernation I'd come in here a whoopin' & a hollerin'. Oh, man, I'd be happy.
    Need the yellow man to make you feel better.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Need the yellow man to make you feel better.
    The in' zipperhead speaks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lin making the old vet feel better about the lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Q: On whether he thinks the Lakers can make the playoffs:
    Kupchak: Yes we can. In fact, our goal every year is the same: to win the championship.

Q: On what needs to happen that didn’t last year:

Kupchak: First and foremost, we have to stay healthy, and that begins with Kobe (Bryant) and Steve Nash. And I think our offseason acquisition, Carlos Boozer, who is an established player in this league, he is healthy. But I think a big degree of our success will depend on if those three guys can stay healthy.

Q: How optimistic is he that he can stay healthy:

Kupchak: I think everybody’s healthy right now. Kobe, I’ve watched throughout the summer. I’ve been going to watch him work out down in Orange County, and he’s been up here several times. He looks really good, says he feels great. No ill effects on either injury.

Steve Nash says he feels the best he’s felt in a long time. He’s been working out, playing every day. He’s been in the facility here. Obviously, with Steve, he felt good last year, also, prior to the season but couldn’t really put it together and play back-to-backs and get through the season. So I think we’re a little bit more apprehensive with Steve, naturally, because of what we went through last year and his age. But he says he’s felt the best he feels right now. And he has played back-to-back days here. He’s played in the morning. He’s come back at night. So I think we’re much further along with Steve this year than we were last year, as well.

Q: On whether he expects there to be playing restrictions for Bryant or Nash:

Kupchak: I think there will be management of players’ injuries whether it’s based on age or injury. I’m not sure what that’s going to be. That’s going to be up to Byron. We may discuss it during training camp. But really, it’s going to be up to Byron. I do know Kobe wants to play. I do know Steve wants to play. So that’ll be a challenge in itself. If there is some kind of a mandate to restrict minutes or games, hopefully the players understand and they work with Byron on it.

Q: On his expectations for Bryant, if he remains healthy:
    Kupchak: Our expectations are to win a championship. I know that sounds (unrealistic), because expectations outside of this room might not be the same.

But I’m not sure the year; I think it was 2006-07. We were 42-40, and going into the (next) season, there was a lot of speculation during the summer about one of our players that didn’t want to be here. And we got a great start during the regular season with Andrew Bynum as the center, and then he went down 30 games into the season. And expectations going into that season weren’t very high. And of course when Andrew went down, they went down quite a bit. But we were able to make a trade a month later, and then four months later we’re in the Finals against Boston.
    So our message to the organization and the players is: You always go into the season looking to win a championship. That’s how we feel, and that’s how our players have to feel. And then they have to do their job and coaches have to do their job and I have to do my job.

Q: On specifically his expectations for Bryant:
    Kupchak: I think he’s going to have an excellent year. Once again, he’s gonna have to stay healthy. He’s been working every day. I get reports. I’ve seen him personally. I know he’s working and speaking with Byron (Scott) on a daily or semi-daily basis. He’s gonna play differently than he played 10 years ago. Maybe not so different than what he played two or three years go, because if you tracked his progress over the years – from a wild, athletic player in the late ‘90s and early 2000s – he’s gradually turned into a not-so-much predictable, but a seasoned veteran. (He excels at) knowing when to turn it on and when not to turn it on. He goes to certain spots on the court. He doesn’t take wild shots. He doesn’t gamble as much on defense.

So I think you’ll see a player similar to what you saw two years ago. And once again, he’ll do as much as he has to do to put us in the best chance to win. If that means guys got it going and we’re scoring without him, then he’ll continue to facilitate. If he feels that he does have to score, he’ll try to score and I think he will. I think he’ll be very effective. I’m not going to predict what his statistics will be. But I don’t think for a second if we needed 30 from him or 35 one night, I think he can get it.

Q: On Bryant’s explosiveness this season:
    Kupchak: Well, it’s hard to tell. I’ll be honest with you, because what he’s been doing has been – with the exception of the one time he played here and I was not here – I’ve watched his workouts and they were basically him and three or four other guys going through drills. And from a drill point of view, it’s tough to tell.

But once again, if he walked into the room or he walked on the court and ran up and down the court, you couldn’t tell that he blew out an Achilles’ tendon or broke a bone in his knee last year. Conditioning-wise, his weight is great. I think he’s down 10-12 pounds over last year. He has no limp. You wouldn’t think that he’s dragging his leg. He looks fine. Now, his explosiveness, understandably, is not gonna be what it was 10 years ago. But I’m not worried about that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    God and Lin are going to be the best backcourt in the league. Its going to be legendary and I can't wait to witness the greatness of these two working together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God and Lin are going to be the best backcourt in the league. Its going to be legendary and I can't wait to witness the greatness of these two working together.
    As long as Kobe doesn't ring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6 games into the season: Steve Nash out indefinitely with herniated disk

26 games into the season: Kobe Bryant dislocates knee, out for the season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

More like Nash has a severe case of hemorrhoids that ends his career.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Amy breakin' Tim's hole still trumps it. Amy took 1/2 of everything + 5.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And this mother er talkin' . You SOB, you get off your in' ass 0-2 outta Texas. Then, THEN you want to play you some basketbal. Then.

Christ-a-mighty.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

You root for a Pedo, you've no room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Duncan rang

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah kids were with Duncan June 15, 2014. Need pics you yellow Lin lover?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this mother er talkin' . You SOB, you get off your in' ass 0-2 outta Texas. Then, THEN you want to play you some basketbal. Then.

Christ-a-mighty.
    29 calling another 29.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    29 calling another 29.
    The zipperhead speaks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God and Lin are going to be the best backcourt in the league. Its going to be legendary and
    LIN and best backcourt in the league

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    You root for a Pedo, you've no room.
    You rooted for him first then begged for him back

Thread Information