Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    A lot of people are sadly going to remember Lebron losing more than the Spurs winning, but I have these Spurs as one of the top 4 best playoff teams in NBA history.

I don't see any team handing these guys their asses, not even MJ's bulls. But I do have a loaded Lakers team with Shaq, Kobe+ the alpha role players ahead of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best since the 80s, tbh, with a few of Dad Killer's teams and the 2001 Lakers giving them a run..

Most players from the 80s wouldn't be capable of playing in today's league, though, so tough to compare(25% of the league was White Americans )..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Best since the 80s, tbh, with a few of Dad Killer's teams and the 2001 Lakers giving them a run..

Most players from the 80s wouldn't be capable of playing in today's league, though, so tough to compare(25% of the league was White Americans )..
    Try explaining that to people who say Pistol Pete would dominate todays game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Made the reigning b2b champs look like they didn't belong. Dallas did that to the lakers though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good thread.

I think these Spurs and 2011 Mavs had two of the most epic runs i recall. both bookended the gay Heatles era. fortunately the Spurs are not breaking up the team like Mavs.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    op I remember when I had to look back at the past. I live in the NOW now..gonna watch game 5 again in 4k.

Stay mad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people are sadly going to remember Lebron losing more than the Spurs winning, but I have these Spurs as one of the top 4 best playoff teams in NBA history.
    Actually thats the beauty of this Spurs team finals victory that it always be remembered due to Lebron losing. The casual fans don't remember the spurs previous 4 championships due to who they beat in the finals. Whenever people reflect on why Lebron left Miami this spurs team will be brought up as the team that broke up the big 3 and led to Lebron's departure from Miami. I think Lebron's legacy will help this team to be remembered because they will always be linked to each other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually thats the beauty of this Spurs team finals victory that it always be remembered due to Lebron losing. The casual fans don't remember the spurs previous 4 championships due to who they beat in the finals. Whenever people reflect on why Lebron left Miami this spurs team will be brought up as the team that broke up the big 3 and led to Lebron's departure from Miami. I think Lebron's legacy will help this team to be remembered because they will always be linked to each other.
    Yep, I made the same point a few months ago in regards to people hating the Heat..

The best thing that could have happened to the Spurs(and the 2011 Mavs, actually) was the creation of the Heatles..it gave the Spurs(and especially the Mavs) the platform that they simply didn't have when they were winning/contending in the less popular version of the NBA(2002-2007)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are right there with the 04 Pistons

comeattheKINGbestnotmiss rogues's Avatar
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    It was beautiful basketball..the way it should be played, tbh..I troll yall alot but I'd be lying if I told yall it wasnt a joy to watch..it was pure basketball execution on a level that has not been seen ever..my thunder were the biggest challenge to yall..it will continue to be like that..

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Boring.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, certainty one of the most surprising Final turn arounds. Or Heat surrender if you want to spin it that way.

But are we really supposed to pretend this isn't a weak era for the NBA? The entire League (For the past 4 seasons) has centered around 3 teams: Spurs, Heat & Thunder. Spurs claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Heat. The Heat claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Spurs. And the Thunder have not accomplished anything.

Do you really think this Spurs team would "dominate" the Spurs teams of the past? I just don't see it. I think it's a case of right place right time. I enjoy watching the Spurs play and especially beating the likes of James/Durant but let's call it like it is.

It is easy to reflect on the past because of hindsight. If the Thunder reel off some Championship runs of their own then we will look at this ERA differently. But as it stands the Bulls got injured & the Mavs blew things up. Otherwise there would have been more depth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, certainty one of the most surprising Final turn arounds. Or Heat surrender if you want to spin it that way.

But are we really supposed to pretend this isn't a weak era for the NBA? The entire League (For the past 4 seasons) has centered around 3 teams: Spurs, Heat & Thunder. Spurs claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Heat. The Heat claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Spurs. And the Thunder have not accomplished anything.

Do you really think this Spurs team would "dominate" the Spurs teams of the past? I just don't see it. I think it's a case of right place right time. I enjoy watching the Spurs play and especially beating the likes of James/Durant but let's call it like it is.

It is easy to reflect on the past because of hindsight. If the Thunder reel off some Championship runs of their own then we will look at this ERA differently. But as it stands the Bulls got injured & the Mavs blew things up. Otherwise there would have been more depth.
    When has the NBA not been centered around 2-3 teams?..

Not in my lifetime, certainly..

And who did Dad Killer's Bulls beat for their "claim to fame"?..the Bad Boys Pistons once they were past their primes? Magic's worst Lakers team that didn't have Kareem?..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2014 Spurs moved the ball and executed better than any team I've ever seen. It would be hard for any team to beat that Finals version of the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the 37-13 Spurs in the lockout shortened season could have given these guys a run. That was a ridiculous team, to be questioned only by the fact of the shortened season. Otherwise, one of the most dominant ever sweeping the Lakers and Blazers in the WC Semifinals and WC finals, then defeating the Knicks in a mere 5 games in the finals. Badass at its most badass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Depends on the era, though..

Some of the players on the '99 Spurs roster wouldn't even make it on a roster in today's league, since it's much more skill-based, rather than goon-based, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Depends on the era, though..

Some of the players on the '99 Spurs roster wouldn't even make it on a roster in today's league, since it's much more skill-based, rather than goon-based, tbh..
    Assuming they could make it on a roster tho, goons can generally neutralize skill. (see Bill Laimbeer/Rick Mahorn/Mario Elie).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 90's were by far the weakest era tbh. MJ was lucky he faced perennial chokers in the finals like Drekler, Barkley, Kemp & Malone. The Spurs had amazing shooters all around. Kwahi, Green, Mills, Bellineli, Manu & Parker all shot over 40% beyond the 3 point arc.

I'm obviously biased, but i'd take the 2014 Spurs over the 96, 97 and 98 Bulls tbh. Their first 3 peat had a prime MJ and i just don't think any one could've beaten them in a 7 game series. Maybe the 2001 Lakers with a prime Shaq, but no one else. MJ actually had a Kobe (with elite defense offcourse) putting up 22/9/7 numbers back then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the 37-13 Spurs in the lockout shortened season could have given these guys a run. That was a ridiculous team, to be questioned only by the fact of the shortened season. Otherwise, one of the most dominant ever sweeping the Lakers and Blazers in the WC Semifinals and WC finals, then defeating the Knicks in a mere 5 games in the finals. Badass at its most badass.
    The 99 team was dominant with only 2 losses along with holding a win streak record of 12 straight playoff games that will probably never be broken. I think it really depends on the rules on which team would win. If we are playing by 90's rules the '99 team would win because of their smothering defense. If you are playing by this era's rules then AJ,Elie, and Elliott would foul out every game. Also the '99 teams bench was very thin it was just Jaren Jackson,Rose,Perdue,Kersey. That bench would get crushed by the '14 team's bench. '99 Robinson-Duncan is greater than '14 Splitter-Duncan by huge margin so that would make things close. Its very hard to say who would win just due to different era rules.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming they could make it on a roster tho, goons can generally neutralize skill. (see Bill Laimbeer/Rick Mahorn/Mario Elie).
    He's talking about today's game. None of those players make it on a roster tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 90's were by far the weakest era tbh. MJ was lucky he faced perennial chokers in the finals like Drekler, Barkley, Kemp & Malone. The Spurs had amazing shooters all around. Kwahi, Green, Mills, Bellineli, Manu & Parker all shot over 40% beyond the 3 point arc.

I'm obviously biased, but i'd take the 2014 Spurs over the 96, 97 and 98 Bulls tbh. Their first 3 peat had a prime MJ and i just don't think any one could've beaten them in a 7 game series. Maybe the 2001 Lakers with a prime Shaq, but no one else. MJ actually had a Kobe (with elite defense offcourse) putting up 22/9/7 numbers back then.
    you could always look at an era where one guy/team dominated and just write the others off as chokers though

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You consider them "perennial chokers" because they had to battle Jordan. I didn't see Drexler, Barkley, Kemp or Malone quitting in Finals games because of cramps.

Superior post defense + no handchecking rule = neutralizes outside shooting. Ron Harper would have bottled up Parker. Jordan & Pippen would have further dominated the perimeter and Rodman/Kukoc/Longley have a field day inside.

It's the worst matchup for the Spurs. The late 90's Bulls do all the same things better. Atleast with Shaq's Lakers you hack a shaq O'Neil and shoot over Fisher's tiny frame. A 36 year old Ron Harper was still starting for them. . .

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    When has the NBA not been centered around 2-3 teams?..

Not in my lifetime, certainly..

And who did Dad Killer's Bulls beat for their "claim to fame"?..the Bad Boys Pistons once they were past their primes? Magic's worst Lakers team that didn't have Kareem?..
    I do have to admit, MJ never played against a team that was a juggernaut. Reggie's Pacers took him to 7 games for Christ's sakes. Would have loved to have seen a FAIR series with Lakers with Shaq and Kobe, Celtics of 08, Heat of 12', or Spurs of this year against those Bulls.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do have to admit, MJ never played against a team that was a juggernaut. Reggie's Pacers took him to 7 games for Christ's sakes. Would have loved to have seen a FAIR series with Lakers with Shaq and Kobe, Celtics of 08, Heat of 12', or Spurs of this year against those Bulls.
    The Bulls couldn't handle Shaq in '95 when MJ first cameback but after they got Rodman I think Shaq only won only 1 game against them during the second threepeat. Rodman always knew how to push Shaq's buttons and take him out of his game. I just get the feeling that Shaq would have melted had they met up in the finals. Rodman had complete ownage of him mentally it was ridiculous. I'll never forget Shaq literally crying during a timeout because of some stuff Rodman said to him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq's comment's on Rodman crack me up in this old interview.

Thread Information