Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we all know by now that the Spurs are slated to have a max-contract slot open next summer (subject to change, of course). We have talked on multiple occasions about the various free agents we'd like the Spurs to pursue, usually of the star variety like Aldridge and Gasol. We also talked about certain bargain free agents like Millsap and Amir Johnson. But we've almost completely avoided restricted free agents. The RFA crop is actually pretty decent next summer. Here's RealGM's listing: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/fut...e/0/NBA/player

Obviously, a reason why we haven't discussed them much is because the good ones are hard to pry away from their teams without having to overpay them. But the folks in other forums were making the point that, with the cap increasing so rapidly over the next few years, it makes a ton of sense to lock in as many long-term contracts as possible now. That's a big reason why giving Kawhi a five-year deal should be a priority, no matter the APY. But it also means that the Spurs may want to come out of next off-season with some (new) contracts that they like. They should have another cap window in 2017, but that is going to be post-explosion, so free agents are going to be more expensive and thus less valuable.

The thread has two purposes: First, I am asking you all if would you support the Spurs overpaying for an RFA next summer in order to lock in a young player ASAP. It sort of goes against the Spurs' principle to hand out big money to other teams' players, but this may be a special cir stance.

The second purpose is for posters to name an RFA (if any) which they'd most want the team to pursue next summer. In this scenario, the Spurs would have to overpay the player, either by offering a max contract (beginning at about $15 Million a year like it would for Kawhi) or by giving the player a deal significantly larger than his assume market value (like giving Patrick Beverly $7 Million a year when he's probably worth about half that). I recommend balancing out both the player's skill and the probability of the Spurs being able to snatch him, since a team pretty much gets one shot to sign RFAs (as they tie their cap up for three days after giving out an offer sheet).

Just list the player and indicate what type of contract you'd like the Spurs to hand out (like "max" or an actual number). For me, I'd probably go with one of Orlando's big, either Vucevic or O'Quinn. They're pretty similar players who can play both big spots, rebound well and score from anywhere inside the arc. The Magic want to keep both, but I can't imagine them sinking too much more into their front court with Frye on a long-term deal and them having just drafted Gordon (not to mention that they'll probably have a high pick next draft and may be in position to take another elite big prospect). I think offering Vuc a max deal or O'Quinn a $36M/4 deal would give them pause.

tl;dr: Read the bold. RFA list at link.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The names that really stood out to me are
    1. Faried
    2. Draymond Green
    3. Tobias Harris
    4. Tristian Thompson.
    All very servicable big men who i can see becoming a great player in the spurs system. Me personally would have Faried but probably a long shot Denver lets him go. But Harris is really interesting i really like his game and under pop he could become a really good player IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK...I'm gonna have to think about this one. But #1 priority should be re-signing Kawhi long term. After that...idk. Great thread though...give me a day or two to think about it.

I'm all over Aldridge....I say we back the money truck up to get that guy. He showed me everything I wanted to see against Dwight in last year's playoffs. Can't see Portland not giving/offering him a long term max contract though...and can't see SA overpaying for anybody...no matter how good they are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glen Rice Jr : not sure how much money, really depends on the upcoming season for a low profile guy like him but the Wizz are gonna become very careful about their payroll leading up to Durant's free agency...

Alec Burks : much harder to get but i like him as well, maybe 10M? Meh the Jazz could match anything...

Since we have virtually zero SG under contract next season, they could both make sense... The bigs don't do much for me, I agree with giving a max deal to Vucevic tho.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the best use of money overall is seeking out a top level big, and adding a fourth big. (replacing Duncan/Ayres). I think the best possible combo is Millsap/O'Quinn, so I'd support overpaying for O'Quinn and keeping him as a good #2 centre. He also fits the "replace Ayres" idea if TD stays(and we have TD instead of attempting to get Millsap). The ability to get both obviously depends on exact cap level, how much Millsap would sign for etc, so both might be unlikely.

That depends on how perception of O'Quinn moves over the next year. He was 370 in NBA rank this year, which probably is a decent proxy as a measure of what he'll be paid. He deserves a lot more as he's miles better than that, and ~4m a year would be a fair/good deal. I don't think I'd want to pay him 9m a year, but the level of overpay necessary to pull him away being 6 or so might be acceptable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing about O'Quinn is that he and Vucevic are pretty much the same player, so getting him for just over half of the max would be a steal, in my opinion. He can play with any of the Spurs' bigs, including Duncan if he stays on. I'm hoping Kyle stays under the radar like Green and that the Spurs can secure both of them for a combined APY a little less than a first-level max deal.

13/11/2 with a steal and three blocks make awesome per-36 numbers, and his advanced stats are pretty nice as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Duncan stays and there's still money to spend I'd like them to go after Markieff Morris with something like 4/40 or similar.

If Duncan goes, which is unlikely IMO, then SnT Green to Cle could be a good option and then go after Clay Thompson. Vucevic would also be OK but very unlikely he could play with Splitter and also Orlando would probably be dumb enough to match a max offer, as he's not worth that at all.

Another player of note would be the too obvious Jimmy Butler if he could find his shooting again, though not sure if we could talk about the Spurs system the way it is if Duncan is gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, I wouldn't trade Green just to max out Klay. Danny is essentially the O'Quinn to Thompson's Vucevic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole list is pretty meh, and would have to be overpaid. Spurs don't overpay.

Pick-0

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Spurs kick the can down the road to 2016, when the new TV deal kicks in and the cap jumps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. No.
    2. No one stands out tbh.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any team that overpays Klay Thompson. That's the old "regret it before the ink is dry" contract.

I'm pretty much with the two posts above me, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw, Anderson, and Draymond Green would be a rowdy stacking of versatile 3/4. LJC and Bertans might have a hard time finding minutes in that kinda scenario, but i know they'd flourish when they did. I also like Tristan Thompson or, to a lesser degree, Ken Faried.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw, Anderson, and Draymond Green would be a rowdy stacking of versatile 3/4. LJC and Bertans might have a hard time finding minutes in that kinda scenario, but i know they'd flourish when they did. I also like Tristan Thompson or, to a lesser degree, Ken Faried.
    Which is why the Spurs will likely not target someone like Draymond, who in addition to standing in their young players' way, plays NO ing defense at all.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tobias Harris could explode this year, I like him. I would, depending on this season, overpay.
    I also like Vucevic...looks like Orlando is gonna have to pay next season.

Im not sure about this pick...Brandon Knight...idk...I just want to mention him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we all know by now that the Spurs are slated to have a max-contract slot open next summer (subject to change, of course).
    Chinook (or anybody), do you have a link to anywhere with the Spurs Salaries updated for the 2015 FA period. Shamsports and Hoopshype haven't included the Parker extension yet, and I'm not sure they have the correct yearly allottment for Diaw's contract

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach Lowe takes a closer look at some extension candidates from that list:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nb...ikola-vucevic/

While I don't think anyone on that list is really worth overpaying for, Shumpert and Jeff Taylor are decent buy low targets.
    Especially Shumpert doesn't seem to be in a very good situation with the Knicks and their crowded backcourt. He was also mentioned in a number of trade rumors last season and the team seems to prefer Tim Hardaway Jr. to him.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs best option is to try to convince Duncan to play another year and try to mold Splitter into more of a scorer.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach Lowe takes a closer look at some extension candidates from that list:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nb...ikola-vucevic/

While I don't think anyone on that list is really worth overpaying for, Shumpert and Jeff Taylor are decent buy low targets.
    Especially Shumpert doesn't seem to be in a very good situation with the Knicks and their crowded backcourt. He was also mentioned in a number of trade rumors last season and the team seems to prefer Tim Hardaway Jr. to him.
    Never have been a Shumpert fan. The national media was blowing this guy up because he played for New York just like they did Lin and Ewing and are now doing with Hardaway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glen Rice Jr : not sure how much money, really depends on the upcoming season for a low profile guy like him but the Wizz are gonna become very careful about their payroll leading up to Durant's free agency...

Alec Burks : much harder to get but i like him as well, maybe 10M? Meh the Jazz could match anything...

Since we have virtually zero SG under contract next season, they could both make sense... The bigs don't do much for me, I agree with giving a max deal to Vucevic tho.
    i doubt they'd match 3M for burks tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never have been a Shumpert fan. The national media was blowing this guy up because he played for New York just like they did Lin and Ewing and are now doing with Hardaway.
    I definitely wouldn't pay him starter money. His shooting percentages have been pretty bad but his shooting form looks fine, so he should be able improve with the help of the Spurs' coaching staff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If for some reason the spurs are unable to retain Green, Buttler would be an OK replacement. He's not the shooter that danny is and is an inferior defender, but he should be able to at least fill a hole. Buttler would most likely resign with the Bulls though.

Vucevic is a no brainer IMO..Duncan will eventually retire. I'd be ok with the spurs overpaying a million or two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a big fan of the 2011 draft crop, which will feature many of next summer's notable RFAs. If I had to choose I take Vucevic. I think his skills will actually match his eventual pay. Others will get paid big deals based on name recognition (Farid) but in don't think they're worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only 2015 FA I'd want is Fat Gasol if it was doable. He's a longshot so i'm with bb on this one and think the Spurs need to convince Timmy to go for the 3peat tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sidebar: I can't wait for the inevitable asshole Portland offer for Reggie Jackson, which forces OKC to match an offer they really don't want to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, an advantage of signing RFAs rather than vested-max players is that the Spurs would have a little money left over to give to Tim or Manu or to use on another player. As far as people being reluctant to overpay, I understand. However, I think we'll see the definition of that change as the league moves forward with the cap. For example, if what people are saying about the cap increase comes to pass, the MLE should rise to about $30M/4 in 2017. So what seems like a pretty large contract now given out by desperate teams like Detroit and Orlando will instead be what normal contenders can offer. Max deals for players coming off rookie contracts will start at about $19 Million, which is near where Leonard's deal will end. What seems like an overpay now will just be what those players will get in three years.

Furthermore, I'm of the belief that contracts only matter in terms of opportunity cost, meaning what teams missed out on because they are paying their players. The Spurs are in a use-it-or-lose-it place next off-season, due mainly to Leonard's contract. They won't have space in 2016. In 2017, they would have a lot of space, but that would come at the expense of losing most of the current crop of role-players. Also, Parker would be on the downside of his career, and Green would be entering his post-prime. That's not to mention that Pop would be likely to retire by then. In my opinion, 2017 is pretty much a rebuilding year unless the Spurs nab an impact player or two in 2015.

Thread Information