Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Police Have a Much Bigger Domestic Abuse Problem Than the NFL
    Research suggests that family violence is two to four times higher in the law-enforcement community than in the general population. So where's the public outrage?

Conor Friedersdorf Sep 19 2014, 6:00 AM ET

Should the National Football League suspend or ban any player caught assaulting a wife or girlfriend? That seems to be the conventional wisdom since video emerged of running back Ray Rice knocking his wife unconscious in an elevator, even as reports surface that many more NFL players have domestic-abuse records.

While I have no particular objection to a suspension of any length for such players, the public focus on NFL policy seems strange and misplaced to me. Despite my general preference for reducing the prison population, an extremely strong person rendering a much smaller, weaker person unconscious with his fists, as Rice did, is a situation where prison is particularly appropriate. More generally, clear evidence of domestic abuse is something that ought to result in legal sanction. Employers aren't a good stand in for prosecutors, juries, and judges.

Should ex-convicts who abused their partners be denied employment forever? I think not. Our notion should be that they've paid their debt to society in prison. Pressure on the NFL to take a harder line against domestic abuse comes in the context of a society where the crime isn't adequately punished, so I totally understand it. Observing anti-NFL rhetoric, you'd nevertheless get the impression that other employers monitor and sanction domestic abuse incidents by employees. While I have nothing against pressuring the NFL to go beyond what the typical employer does, I fear that vilifying the league has the effect of misleading the public into a belief that it is out of step with general norms on this issue. Domestic violence is less common among NFL players than the general population.

And there is another American profession that has a significantly more alarming problem with domestic abuse. I'd urge everyone who believes in zero tolerance for NFL employees caught beating their wives or girlfriends to direct as much attention—or ideally, even more attention—at police officers who assault their partners. Several studies have found that the romantic partners of police officers suffer domestic abuse at rates significantly higher than the general population. And while all partner abuse is unacceptable, it is especially problematic when domestic abusers are literally the people that battered and abused women are supposed to call for help.

If there's any job that domestic abuse should disqualify a person from holding, isn't it the one job that gives you a lethal weapon, trains you to stalk people without their noticing, and relies on your judgment and discretion to protect the abused against domestic abusers?

The opprobrium heaped on the NFL for failing to suspend or terminate domestic abusers, and the virtual absence of similar pressure directed at police departments, leads me to believe that many people don't know the extent of domestic abuse among officers. This is somewhat surprising, since a country shocked by Ray Rice's actions ought to be even more horrified by the most egregious examples of domestic abuse among police officers. Their stories end in death.

Read the rest of the story:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...wives-or-girlfriends/380329/?single_page=true

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Still

lol black NFL players

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    chill. lets keep this a race bait free thread.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I wanna find the article i was reading that says if you discount traffic fatalities, police die at a really ing low rate, like 6/1000 per year or some .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

How often do NFL players keep these jobs for the same offenses- almost all the time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Shouldn't be something people are fired for. They should be in jail or left alone. And screw this author for defining abuse as the strong hurting the weak. These same folks had no problem getting around that in the Incognito scandal.

silverblk mystix
    Police Have a Much Bigger Domestic Abuse Problem Than the NFL
    Research suggests that family violence is two to four times higher in the law-enforcement community than in the general population. So where's the public outrage?

Conor Friedersdorf Sep 19 2014, 6:00 AM ET

Should the National Football League suspend or ban any player caught assaulting a wife or girlfriend? That seems to be the conventional wisdom since video emerged of running back Ray Rice knocking his wife unconscious in an elevator, even as reports surface that many more NFL players have domestic-abuse records.

While I have no particular objection to a suspension of any length for such players, the public focus on NFL policy seems strange and misplaced to me. Despite my general preference for reducing the prison population, an extremely strong person rendering a much smaller, weaker person unconscious with his fists, as Rice did, is a situation where prison is particularly appropriate. More generally, clear evidence of domestic abuse is something that ought to result in legal sanction. Employers aren't a good stand in for prosecutors, juries, and judges.

Should ex-convicts who abused their partners be denied employment forever? I think not. Our notion should be that they've paid their debt to society in prison. Pressure on the NFL to take a harder line against domestic abuse comes in the context of a society where the crime isn't adequately punished, so I totally understand it. Observing anti-NFL rhetoric, you'd nevertheless get the impression that other employers monitor and sanction domestic abuse incidents by employees. While I have nothing against pressuring the NFL to go beyond what the typical employer does, I fear that vilifying the league has the effect of misleading the public into a belief that it is out of step with general norms on this issue. Domestic violence is less common among NFL players than the general population.

And there is another American profession that has a significantly more alarming problem with domestic abuse. I'd urge everyone who believes in zero tolerance for NFL employees caught beating their wives or girlfriends to direct as much attention—or ideally, even more attention—at police officers who assault their partners. Several studies have found that the romantic partners of police officers suffer domestic abuse at rates significantly higher than the general population. And while all partner abuse is unacceptable, it is especially problematic when domestic abusers are literally the people that battered and abused women are supposed to call for help.

If there's any job that domestic abuse should disqualify a person from holding, isn't it the one job that gives you a lethal weapon, trains you to stalk people without their noticing, and relies on your judgment and discretion to protect the abused against domestic abusers?

The opprobrium heaped on the NFL for failing to suspend or terminate domestic abusers, and the virtual absence of similar pressure directed at police departments, leads me to believe that many people don't know the extent of domestic abuse among officers. This is somewhat surprising, since a country shocked by Ray Rice's actions ought to be even more horrified by the most egregious examples of domestic abuse among police officers. Their stories end in death.

Read the rest of the story:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...wives-or-girlfriends/380329/?single_page=true

Not surprising at all -

human beings do what is practiced on them...

If children are abused or have violence in the household - it is no surprise that they become abusers, criminals, etc...
    some don't repeat the behavior - but most do.

Cops are in the middle of violence day in and day out and it is not surprising that they turn this violence they receive and practice violence on the people in their lives. Where else would all the hatred & violence disappear to? If the cop does not know how to deal with this?

Most are not violent but it is never surprising when -you get what you pay for.

Practice violence on someone and they are likely to repeat this behavior towards others.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Last edited by The Reckoning; 09-22-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not surprising at all -

human beings do what is practiced on them...

If children are abused or have violence in the household - it is no surprise that they become abusers, criminals, etc...
    some don't repeat the behavior - but most do.

Cops are in the middle of violence day in and day out and it is not surprising that they turn this violence they receive and practice violence on the people in their lives. Where else would all the hatred & violence disappear to? If the cop does not know how to deal with this?

Most are not violent but it is never surprising when -you get what you pay for.

Practice violence on someone and they are likely to repeat this behavior towards others.
    Not that you qualify as a true Police officer or anything, but how many times a week do you beat your wife?

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When you get filthy rich at the whims of the media and the public, prepare to be burned down by them also. The general public probably has a higher rate of domestic violence than the NFL too but what's the fun in tearing down an average joe with an unrecognizable name?

Thread Information