Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Fear Ebola Outbreak Could Make Nation Turn to Science

There is a deep-seated fear among some Americans that an Ebola outbreak could make the country turn to science.

In interviews conducted across the nation, leading anti-science activists expressed their concern that the American people, wracked with anxiety over the possible spread of the virus, might desperately look to science to save the day.

“It’s a very human reaction,” said Harland Dorrinson, a prominent anti-science activist from Springfield, Missouri. “If you put them under enough stress, perfectly rational people will panic and start believing in science.”

Additionally, he worries about a “slippery slope” situation, “in which a belief in science leads to a belief in math, which in turn fosters a dangerous dependence on facts.”

At the end of the day, though, Dorrinson hopes that such a doomsday scenario will not come to pass. “Time and time again through history, Americans have been exposed to science and refused to accept it,” he said. “I pray that this time will be no different.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...NTQxNzYxNzM2S0

Time and time again boo is exposed to satire and still doesn't understand it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obola appoints Ebola czar (naturally)

http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/17/...tic-operative/

Awesome choice.

Ron Klain has a lot of experience. Unfortunately, absolutely none of it is related to public health, epidemiology, or cross-agency administration.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time and time again boo is exposed to satire and still doesn't understand it.
    you read all the way through before you realized it was Borowitz joke

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Awesome choice.
    I'd prefer to have a surgeon general.

Why don't we have on now, Darrin?

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow what a ing decision by Obama.

crises? let's bring in our best lawyer to handle it!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow what a ing decision by Obama.

crises? let's bring in our best lawyer to handle it!
    He's also an accomplished spin doctor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's also an accomplished spin doctor.
    and a rat faced

Klain was born on August 8, 1961 in Indianapolis, Indiana to Jewish parents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Awesome choice.
    DarrinS found a new favorite website.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Bush Rejected A Travel Ban In Avian Flu Pandemic

the Bush administration confronted a similar quandary when avian flu threatened to become a deadly pandemic. After examining the arguments for and against restrictions on travel from affected countries, then-Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt — and presumably the president himself — became convinced that any travel ban would quickly become too difficult to enforce. As Leavitt explains:

It’s such an appealing idea, it sounds so easy. But it’s when you get to the second layer of activity and then the third and fourth it gets complicated. For example, imagine a Liberian citizen goes to Spain and in Spain he manifests symptoms and people in Spain get it. Do you now expand the travel ban to include Spain? Somebody from Spain goes to the U.K. and now it’s there, so do you include the U.K.? Now somebody who gets it there turns out to be a U.S. citizen and wants to come home to get treated. Do you let the citizen in?

Despite potentially high mortality rates (and much easier transmission than Ebola), Bush officials ultimately determined that any such rules would prove ineffective as well as unenforceable. Is it necessary to note that back then no Republican uttered a whisper of criticism against Bush or Leavitt — while they now vilify the president and CDC chief Dr. Tom Frieden?

http://www.nationalmemo.com/bush-rej...-flu-pandemic/

Repugs exposed AGAIN as blatantly hypocritical.

What's OK for them is NOT OK for the Dems.

iow, THEY'RE ASSHOLES

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the previous democrat surgeon general thinks he's unqualified. The dip also thinks gun violence stems from Saturday morning cartoons. He's nothing more than an Obama puppet.
    do you really think the govt-hating/govt-enfeebling Repugs give about competency in govt?

"You're doin a heckuva (FEMA) job, Brownie"

"Murthy’s nomination has been held up by Republicans and a few red state Democrats due to this surprisingly controversial stance: He believes that guns can impact your health.

Well, to be fair, this conservative coalition is not troubled by his stance, so much as they are fearful of the NRA, which decided to try to scuttle Murthy’s confirmation.

The NRA wrote a strongly worded letter, Rand Paul put a hold on the nomination, and Red State Democrats begged Harry Reid to not force them to vote.

It’s funny that the strongly worded letters of ordinary citizens don’t seem to have quite the same effect."

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/...iticus+USA+%29

Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-20-2014 at 05:17 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

do you really think the govt-hating/govt-enfeebling Repugs giva about competency?

"You're doin a heckuva (FEMA) job, Brownie"

"Murthy’s nomination has been held up by Republicans and a few red state Democrats due to this surprisingly controversial stance: He believes that guns can impact your health.

Well, to be fair, this conservative coalition is not troubled by his stance, so much as they are fearful of the NRA, which decided to try to scuttle Murthy’s confirmation.

The NRA wrote a strongly worded letter, Rand Paul put a hold on the nomination, and Red State Democrats begged Harry Reid to not force them to vote.

It’s funny that the strongly worded letters of ordinary citizens don’t seem to have quite the same effect."

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/...iticus+USA+%29

come and take it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier today, the World Health Organization announced that no new case of Ebola has emerged in Nigeria in 42 days. That's the standard length of time required for declaring the end to an outbreak, since it's twice the maximum 21-day incubation period for the virus. It's an incredible achievement — one that should assuage fears and show that Ebola can be contained. Moreover, it's proof that developing nations, with sufficient support from the international community, are fully capable of dealing with the epidemic.
    http://io9.com/how-nigeria-stopped-e...cks-1648390740

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so, what's our excuse?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good day Winehole23,

With warm heart I offer my friendship, and my greetings,and I hope this letter meets you in good time.

It will be surprising for you to receive this proposal from me since you do not know me personally.

However, I am sincerely seeking your confidence in this transaction,which I, propose with my free mind and as a person of integrity.

A) It is practically impossible for me to carry out this business alone.

B) You live in a foreign land far away from mine.

This should normally not be a requirement, but when you understand the transaction then you will understand why it is important that you live far away from me.

C) The amount of money involved in this transaction is Fifteen Million one hundred thousand united states dollars (US$15,100,000.00) which is too much for a man of modest means like myself to handle in my country.

I believe from my few points above, you can begin to get an idea why I need your participation.I am writing you in respect of a foreign customer who has a Domicillary account in my bank.

His name was Engineer Frank oliver. He was among those who died in a plane crash, Since the demise of this our customer, Engineer Frank oliver,who was an oil merchant and import/exporter, I have kept a close watch of the deposit records and accounts and since then nobody has come to claim the money in this a/c as next of kin to the late Engineer.

He had only Fifteen Million one hundred thousand united states dollars(US$15,100,000.00) in his account and the account is coded.

It is only an insider that could produce the code of the deposit particulars.

As it stands now, there is nobody in that position to produce the needed information other than my very self considering my position in the bank.

Based on the reason that nobody has come forward to claim the deposit as next of kin,I hereby ask for you to send an application to the bank as he next of kin to the deceased and get this fund transfered into your foreign bank a/c for mutual sharing between myself and you,%5 for charity, 5% for expences we will incure just in case, 35% for you and 55% for me.

All I need is for you to follow my instructions closely because I am experienced in inheritance matters here and i am on ground here to advice you on every step until you receive the money.

What is required of you is to send an application to the bank as next of kin to the late Engineer and I promise you that everything will go smoothly.

I also indulge you not to make undo use of the information given to you, I need also to trust that you will not tell people or your bank about this business.

You will collect the money first, then I get my share, then you can tell anybody what you chose thereafter.I shall need your help to invest in your country therefore, any experience you have in this area will be beneficial.

Please feel free to call me on my direct telephone number for any question or further explanations if required and upon the receipt of your favourable responses I shall send to you a text of application which you shall send to the Bank putting claim over the deceased fund.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so Nigeria did not close its borders or halt travel during this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so much for the common sense of US politicians

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so Nigeria did not close its borders or halt travel during this?
    How Nigeria successfully curbed its Ebola outbreak

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/21/how_...break_partner/

And Paul pere disagrees with Paul fils

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd prefer to have a surgeon general.

Why don't we have on now, Darrin?

Yes, why don't we have one now, Chump? Dems have enough votes to confirm Murthy all by themselves -- even if EVERY Republican votes against.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, why don't we have one now, Chump? Dems have enough votes to confirm Murthy all by themselves -- even if EVERY Republican votes against.
    So you don't know why.

lol try Google

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you don't know why.

lol try Google

You do the same. While you're at it, look into the actual nominee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do the same. While you're at it, look into the actual nominee.
    Let me know what you find.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me know what you find.
    You do the same.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so, what's our excuse?
    Our excuse for panic?

We have done a fairly poor job, and.... so how many deaths from people contracting overblownola here?

Thread Information