Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You are really going to say that? You spam the political forum about two topics every day and try to drown out people that disagree with you.

But I need to evaluate how I spend my time? Introspection is important.

comeattheKINGbestnotmiss rogues's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    The got posts character after character not saying about anything..same old recycled googled retort by Spurstalk's number one psuedo-intellectual, tbh..

"But but I know hydraulics and topology!"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No offense meant, but your arguments would carry more credibility and competence if you steered clear of the cussing, accusations, and invectives.
    They do nothing to support your contention except make you look childish.
    To you. I don't really care about what you think though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The got posts character after character not saying about anything..same old recycled googled retort by Spurstalk's number one psuedo-intellectual, tbh..

"But but I know hydraulics and topology!"
    You are going to complain about someone else posting useless drivel? Nice.

All I see when I get the "he is trying to be smart" are people's inferiority complex's responding. You keep on with the being dumb.

comeattheKINGbestnotmiss rogues's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    You are going to complain about someone else posting useless drivel? Nice.

All I see when I get the "he is trying to be smart" are people's inferiority complex's responding. You keep on with the being dumb.
    BD's posts are much acclaimed, tbh..I'm the truest mother er on this forum..I don't front being tough or intellectual..it just flows naturally..as for my posts compared to yours..my posts are actually on point..meaning, they say something directly..you're posts are full of just like your pseudo intellectual schtick..the only other poster(s) who dare quote you in praise are lib cuck pieces of ..

Truth is you're a googling try-hard who has 10,000 posts of useless gotry..you still think, after all these years, that you come off as impressive with your paragraph long responses about how someone has conceded an argument with a given take..your kind are garden variety, tbh..now go log back into your alt Th'Pusher to tell board conservatives how butthurt they are, it's the truest you'll ever be on here..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    You are really going to say that?
    Yes, get a ing life.

I have actually been prepared for him to put out the arguments formally. I looked up Russell's proofs against them and was going to shove him in his face but I think he knew that and has been dissembling ever since.
    Only a loser takes the time out of their day to prepare for an internet argument.

He is a coward and I mean that very truly. He is a small man that thinks that winning every small battle is more important than winning the war and is unaware of the futility.
    Only a loser sees the internet as a place where war is waged.

You spam the political forum about two topics every day and try to drown out people that disagree with you.
    I post in the political forum to counter the spread of misinformation by white guilt people such as yourself. You've been strangely absent from the two St. Louis shooting threads, wonder why.

But I need to evaluate how I spend my time? Introspection is important.
    I'm sure you could find more productive things to do with your time than preparing for an internet battle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    oh $hit a TSA sighting nice!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes, get a ing life.

Only a loser takes the time out of their day to prepare for an internet argument.

I post in the political forum to counter the spread of misinformation by white guilt people such as yourself. You've been strangely absent from the two St. Louis shooting threads, wonder why.

I'm sure you could find more productive things to do with your time than preparing for an internet battle.
    I have been absent from the political forum just like many others because it had devolved into you, boutons, and the nazi spamming every thread. You have done your job of driving people away. I have no desire to come to talk to you or them. I don't like anything about you. I think you are contemptible, frankly. There is no point in going there in stupid vindictive circles though. That is what is a waste of my time.

You post against white guilt people like myself? Calling me the loser after that is delicious.

To demonstrate the savory delectables let's compare and contrast to what I did. I reread sections of Bert Russell's A History of Western Philosophy and Fred Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

We clearly value things differently. Have fun winning your race war.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    But being a Christian doesn't entail chasing percentages. If that's your goal, you've already lost in Christianity. It's not even about self preservation, even if it's been morphed into that. So you spend your life thinking you're saved, going to church every Sunday, singing bull songs and all that, only to learn you're not and you end up in anyhow, vs the person who parties his ass off and ends up in the same place.
    I think you hit on what I was saying, but you were so keen to disagree that you didn't realize it. Essentially, assuming both that exactly one religion is right and that we don't know which one that is, it essentially becomes an Bizarro version of Russian Roulette. If you don't play, you're definitely going to (in this hypothetical), but if you play, there's a chance you'll go to heaven. Any chance is better than no chance, all things being equal.

What does "all other things equal" mean? Is that your "I'm right" card? What other things?
    Thanks for the segue. If there were no difference in utility for picking a belief system (or picking atheism), then it is simple game theory, and any religion is better than none. However, I would argue that there's quite a difference in utility between being pious and self-denying and being hedonistic, between being closed-minded and scientific. I don't think the slight increase in chance at salvation is worth giving up all those things, so I wouldn't feel the need to play the wager. However, some people might, especially if they rationalize in their minds ways to give themselves extra utility through their religion.

Pascal's Wager has been destroyed. Get over it.
    It's alive and well for anyone who knows game theory. The Argument of Inconsistent Revelations changes the game to where it becomes much more subjective, but it does not break it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    If it's been refuted and you have no response to the refutation then there is no reason to give it merit. You can characterize the disposition how you like but it is categorically unsubstantiated. There is a nice box for you to understand, box boy.
    Looks like you're showing promise if you're using 'categorically' correctly. What have you learned of the imperative and the other assignments in your homework?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    He has given up the pima causa and natural law arguments. It's why I quit responding to him. He doesn't even defend them on merit.
    You do realize RG isn't talking about me, right? He's literally quoting someone else. No way you can be this terrible at reading.

I have actually been prepared for him to put out the arguments formally. I looked up Russell's proofs against them and was going to shove him in his face but I think he knew that and has been dissembling ever since.
    1) I put out the constructive again about a page back. You were even quoted in it. Not surprised you didn't see it.

2) "Russell's proofs" are no more evidence to than the bible is. His arguments may be solid, but they have no power if you just quote them without understanding what they mean. It's a logical fallacy to appeal to him instead of your own reason.

3) Nice to hear you are doing homework. Maybe you won't be held back after all.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I have been absent from the political forum just like many others because it had devolved into you, boutons, and the nazi spamming every thread.
    I average 4 posts a day, I think you need to look up the definition of spamming.

You have done your job of driving people away.
    Name one

I have no desire to come to talk to you or them.
    You don't like talking to me because I mock you and call out your bull for what it is.

I don't like anything about you. I think you are contemptible, frankly.
    Here you are again taking the a message board seriously, get a ing life.

There is no point in going there in stupid vindictive circles though. That is what is a waste of my time.
    And studying up for an internet battle isn't?

You post against white guilt people like myself? Calling me the loser after that is delicious.

To demonstrate the savory delectables let's compare and contrast to what I did. I reread sections of Bert Russell's A History of Western Philosophy and Fred Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

We clearly value things differently. Have fun winning your race war.
    Race war?

There is a huge difference between someone being tired of listening to the never ending liberal white guilt crowd and someone who is a racist. Make good use of your time and provide any proof of me saying anything racist on here or anywhere else on the internet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Looks like you're showing promise if you're using 'categorically' correctly. What have you learned of the imperative and the other assignments in your homework?
    No. Your response was ad homenim. Your criticism of my point was based on your criticism of me, which is what the ad hom fallacy addresses.
    So you understand the uselessness of your approach. Yup you are a coward but you started this patronizing bluster after I said what? That is what must've gotten your ass chapped. Let's go see.

We? off, hippy, you only get to speak for yourself. What we call something is independent of what something actually is. There is not a shred of evidence of platonic forms or ideals although you like to pretend that your rational constructs.

I have been talking about the whole of reality that are governed by natural laws as that was what your theistic argument is about. I haven't allowed myself to get mired in your ty categories and semantics. I mock you for them repeatedly but you seem oblivious to the point I am making.

You are describing the imperative and you are not addressing the categorical process by which the imperative is derived.

It is right there in the phrase itself. An imperative based on categorization. He uses dualistic coupling of categories and draws conclusions based on them. Kant and other 19th century germans had a field day using the same logic you are using here making categorical imperatives of all manner of virtue. And again Nietzsche ridicules quite extensively such methodology in thus spakt and directly in beyond good and evil. Rawls rejected the dualistic construct formally as did Russell.

You are using the same baseless self assuming nonsense. You think that because you call everyone one of two things that it somehow becomes inherently true. It's hubris of the tallest order, frankly. No wonder you are dropping 'we.' Your arguments were refuted thoroughly 150 years ago.

And you can sit there and say that I don't understand logic but you continue to dodge my argument about logical proofs of a negation and open ended sets. You keep on claiming that I am misusing terms but outside of finally defining categorical imperative on an entry level basis, you have done nothing whatsoever to prove that. Well excuse me you have also made dubious claims as to SAT scores and Ivy League education.

And on a final note. Your position of god not being able to be proven empirically -assertion of a negation again- is one of the more cowardly positions I have ever seen.
    Enjoy the point where my argument which made you quit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    So you understand the uselessness of your approach. Yup you are a coward but you started this patronizing bluster after I said what? That is what must've gotten your ass chapped. Let's go see.

Enjoy the point where my argument which made you quit.
    I'm borderline concerned for you and the people around you. No way you can function correctly in society with your level of reading comprehension.

However, you did demonstrate that you have not yet gotten to the 'ad homenim' section of your homework, since you still don't actually know what that fallacy is.

What the were you doing when you were 'preparing' for my arguments?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I average 4 posts a day, I think you need to look up the definition of spamming.

Name one

You don't like talking to me because I mock you and call out your bull for what it is.

Here you are again taking the a message board seriously, get a ing life.

And studying up for an internet battle isn't?

Race war?

There is a huge difference between someone being tired of listening to the never ending liberal white guilt crowd and someone who is a racist. Make good use of your time and provide any proof of me saying anything racist on here or anywhere else on the internet.
    Like I said, what we value is clearly different. You can try to throw barbs to hurt me but the conversation really isn't moving forward. You don't seem to have very good self control.

You think I am a loser because I read Nietzsche and Russell and I think you are a loser because you go out of your way to respond to white guilt repe ively. It is what it is and I can live with it.

I will also say that you are pretty dumb for not picking up on the 'loser' and 'war' play on words regarding your racism I was going for and instead taking the literal.

Now go drink some antifreeze.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Like I said, what we value is clearly different. You can try to throw barbs to hurt me but the conversation really isn't moving forward. You don't seem to have very good self control.

You think I am a loser because I read Nietzsche and Russell and I think you are a loser because you go out of your way to respond to white guilt repe ively. It is what it is and I can live with it.

I will also say that you are pretty dumb for not picking up on the 'loser' and 'war' play on words regarding your racism I was going for and instead taking the literal.

Now go drink some antifreeze.
    More hand waving I see.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The bible teaches nothing about morality that we can't discover for ourselves.

The fact that religions all attempt to teach morality, does not mean that morality can only be had from religious thinking.
    I didn't say that it can ONLY be had from religious thinking. I am saying that it can be had from religious thinking. I don't see why that is so bad.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "
    Yes, get a ing life.

Wow, truth bomb after truth bomb!

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ah, but there is a difference between saying "I believe there is no God" and "I don't believe YOUR claims about God". ("your" in this case isn't you personally, just a general reference to people who make claims)

I don't ever claim one doesn't exist, as the amount of proof required to make that statement is far beyond what we might have.

The only thing that makes one an atheist is simply the rejection of claims about god. It is NOT explicitly "there is no God".

Difference is subtle, but there.
    You see. This really confuses the out of me. So an atheist rejects evidence of God, but doesn't reject the idea of God? Does this mean that an atheist can believe in God?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think you hit on what I was saying, but you were so keen to disagree that you didn't realize it. Essentially, assuming both that exactly one religion is right and that we don't know which one that is, it essentially becomes an Bizarro version of Russian Roulette. If you don't play, you're definitely going to (in this hypothetical), but if you play, there's a chance you'll go to heaven. Any chance is better than no chance, all things being equal.
    You obviously don't understand the grace aspect of Christianity. You cannot play yourself into heaven in Christianity. You don't "participate" in a religion.You either believe it and follow it or you follow it and don't believe it, or you do neither. So it's like this:

1. Believe and follow: Heaven through grace
    2. Don't believe but follow out of "safer bet": no heaven
    3. Don't believe and don't follow: no heaven

That's only for Christianity. Since 1 isn't something you can control through safer betting practices, you are left with 2 and 3 (you cannot simply believe something because you feel it might be the most profitable thing to do, and supposedly the Christian god knows your heart). So then for 2 and 3 you are in .

There's no safer bet there. The 1st one is a mirage, not real, cannot be faked.
    Thanks for the segue. If there were no difference in utility for picking a belief system (or picking atheism), then it is simple game theory, and any religion is better than none. However, I would argue that there's quite a difference in utility between being pious and self-denying and being hedonistic, between being closed-minded and scientific. I don't think the slight increase in chance at salvation is worth giving up all those things, so I wouldn't feel the need to play the wager. However, some people might, especially if they rationalize in their minds ways to give themselves extra utility through their religion.
    If we take the position that heaven and exist, then Pascal's Wager still doesn't work unless simply being exposed to the religion could lead to genuine belief and adherence to teachings. Even the Christian god might well favor the non-believer who was honest in his thoughts and claims, knowing the price of being wrong over the person who feigned belief in order to save his ass. You have to factor that into the equation.

What if there is a reward after life and it's based on not following any religion? You have to add that one as well as any other you could possibly concoct.
    It's alive and well for anyone who knows game theory. The Argument of Inconsistent Revelations changes the game to where it becomes much more subjective, but it does not break it.
    Consider that Pascal wasn't referring to all and any possible religions, but Christianity. Don't you feel "what if you're wrong" is a false dichotomy? What if there is a god and Christians are wrong as well? Sure you can morph Pascal's Wager into whatever "all possible other outcomes besides what atheists think will happen" but that's dishonest and you know it. If an atheist lives as his mind and conscience tells him to live, without fear of eternal damnation for doing so, he's certainly not better off to feign a god belief in the hopes of fooling one of them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You see. This really confuses the out of me. So an atheist rejects evidence of God, but doesn't reject the idea of God? Does this mean that an atheist can believe in God?
    What you call evidence might not pass the falsifiability test that atheists insist upon. "My sister was healed by God". Your sister was ill and recovered, that much is not in dispute. The only thing in dispute is that a god did it. So where you see the healing as evidence, it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny. Sometimes it doesn't need to. You cannot prove you love someone nor they you but you believe it enough that you live your life as if it's true. Most often it is.

There's an honesty about what you believe to be true. It's a difference between how two people define "belief". One considers it a notion while the other considers it just short of knowledge. It's the difference between "I believe someone's creeping around in my garage because my garage door is open" and "I believe there's someone creeping around my garage because I see the bas in there". Even if you see the bas in there, there's a slight chance you see something you mistook for a person and it's not a person at all. However, the open garage door led the other person to believe someone is in the garage through a series of "connect the dots" and often those draw preconceived notions pretty well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    another problem is how different people will define atheism differently. some people define atheism as a claim that god does not exist, while theism is the claim that god does exist. while the theism definition is rarely really disputed, i consider atheism to be the lack of a claim altogether. to me its foolish for somebody to make a claim that "god does not exist." that's like saying "aliens don't exist." you can't really know that, and its almost never considered to be scientific to claim a negative.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You obviously don't understand the grace aspect of Christianity. You cannot play yourself into heaven in Christianity. You don't "participate" in a religion.You either believe it and follow it or you follow it and don't believe it, or you do neither. So it's like this:

1. Believe and follow: Heaven through grace
    2. Don't believe but follow out of "safer bet": no heaven
    3. Don't believe and don't follow: no heaven

That's only for Christianity. Since 1 isn't something you can control through safer betting practices, you are left with 2 and 3 (you cannot simply believe something because you feel it might be the most profitable thing to do, and supposedly the Christian god knows your heart). So then for 2 and 3 you are in .

There's no safer bet there. The 1st one is a mirage, not real, cannot be faked.
    Yes, that's the other common criticism of the wager (the Argument from Inconsistent Revelations being the first). It's definitely the more powerful one. But many religions seem fine "scaring" people into believing them. This isn't very different. As I said before, if left to its own devices, people will believe whatever they do independent of profit or ruin. But since beliefs come from a thought process, I do think that certain motivations can affect what beliefs are formed through discouraging certain intellectual pursuits. If people think science will make them go to , then they won't read about the research which would make them turn away from their religion.

I dunno if you or I could become persuaded by the wager and change our courses now. But a person like Avante well could use it as his justification to keep on ignoring science and reason.

If we take the position that heaven and exist, then Pascal's Wager still doesn't work unless simply being exposed to the religion could lead to genuine belief and adherence to teachings. Even the Christian god might well favor the non-believer who was honest in his thoughts and claims, knowing the price of being wrong over the person who feigned belief in order to save his ass. You have to factor that into the equation.

What if there is a reward after life and it's based on not following any religion? You have to add that one as well as any other you could possibly concoct.
    I don't really take issue with this outside the objection I made in the last section. On a personal level, I can't see a heaven that values a specific religious group, since I don't think any religion is correct enough to be in a privileged position.

Consider that Pascal wasn't referring to all and any possible religions, but Christianity. Don't you feel "what if you're wrong" is a false dichotomy? What if there is a god and Christians are wrong as well? Sure you can morph Pascal's Wager into whatever "all possible other outcomes besides what atheists think will happen" but that's dishonest and you know it. If an atheist lives as his mind and conscience tells him to live, without fear of eternal damnation for doing so, he's certainly not better off to feign a god belief in the hopes of fooling one of them.
    I think it's a true dichotomy, only instead of thinking about as christian and atheist, it should thought of as atheist and some type of religion. However, I do think that Pascal over-represented the odds of taking the christian side of the bet. You're right when you say that the slim chances of picking the right religion really shrinks the risk atheists and non-religious theists are taking. But it doesn't make all options equal. Because we don't know which religion would be right (if any) then the possible benefit of the right one would get distributed among the entire set, except for atheism.

So rather than thinking about the wager in terms of actual values (atheism-0, false religions-0, true religion-1), it should be thought of in game-theoretic terms (atheism-0, each religion-some fraction). And the wager holds. It's weaker, but it also gains the benefit of being generalizable. Or if we include the idea of non-religious heaven in the math, atheism gets a slight increase, but it has to share it with every religion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes, that's the other common criticism of the wager (the Argument from Inconsistent Revelations being the first). It's definitely the more powerful one. But many religions seem fine "scaring" people into believing them. This isn't very different. As I said before, if left to its own devices, people will believe whatever they do independent of profit or ruin. But since beliefs come from a thought process, I do think that certain motivations can affect what beliefs are formed through discouraging certain intellectual pursuits. If people think science will make them go to , then they won't read about the research which would make them turn away from their religion.

I dunno if you or I could become persuaded by the wager and change our courses now. But a person like Avante well could use it as his justification to keep on ignoring science and reason.
    You're saying it works. I've not argued that it doesn't. I've argued that it's not a winning proposition. I think you moved the goal posts here.
    I don't really take issue with this outside the objection I made in the last section. On a personal level, I can't see a heaven that values a specific religious group, since I don't think any religion is correct enough to be in a privileged position.
    So the wager isn't profitable, not even by a small percentage.
    I think it's a true dichotomy, only instead of thinking about as christian and atheist, it should thought of as atheist and some type of religion. However, I do think that Pascal over-represented the odds of taking the christian side of the bet. You're right when you say that the slim chances of picking the right religion really shrinks the risk atheists and non-religious theists are taking. But it doesn't make all options equal. Because we don't know which religion would be right (if any) then the possible benefit of the right one would get distributed among the entire set, except for atheism.
    All options don't need to be equal for the bet to be non-profitable. Atheism could be as right as any of them, as I illustrated, unless you exclude it to bias your example.
    So rather than thinking about the wager in terms of actual values (atheism-0, false religions-0, true religion-1), it should be thought of in game-theoretic terms (atheism-0, each religion-some fraction). And the wager holds, is weaker, but also gains the benefit of being generalizable. Or if we include the idea of non-religious heaven in the math, atheism gets a slight increase, but it has to share it with every religion.
    Not really. Atheism would only equal 0 if it was certain someone was right and there was no benefit to atheism. There could be an instance were atheism that represents truth is rewarded. In that case atheism doesn't equal 0, so there's no reason to artificially assign it zero value except, as I said, to bias your example. You can always construct an argument in your favor, but Pascal's Wager dealt with Christianity vs atheism and was a false dichotomy, and it's not a beneficial wager at all. If anything, it's condescending to atheists. It supposes their belief is just a whim they can change for profit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You're saying it works. I've not argued that it doesn't. I've argued that it's not a winning proposition. I think you moved the goal posts here.
    I've never argued that I was a proposition I'd take. I argued that the wager was a reasonable argument.

So the wager isn't profitable, not even by a small percentage.
    No. I don't feel so. Some do, though.

All options don't need to be equal for the bet to be non-profitable. Atheism could be as right as any of them, as I illustrated, unless you exclude it to bias your example.
    No, I didn't exclude athesim. In that case, no one wins. But that wager is set up when you don't know who's right, so you get contingent benefits. Atheism will have a benefit of zero no matter what's true (unless it's the non-religious heaven that welcomes atheism like we talked about). All things equal, there's never a benefit to being atheist (as far as the wager goes specifically).

Not really. Atheism would only equal 0 if the outcome was known. There could be an instance were atheism that represents truth is rewarded. In that case atheism doesn't equal 0, so there's no reason to artificially assign it zero value except, as I said, to bias your example.
    That would be weird. I guess it could be like some alien race has been watching humans and saves the brainwaves of those who were atheistic? Even so, such a scenario is just as plausible for every belief system, so as I said the benefit would distribute across the whole board. Atheists would no longer be at zero, but they would still be behind each religion.

You can always construct an argument in your favor, but Pascal's Wager dealt with Christianity vs atheism and was a false dichotomy, and it's not a beneficial wager at all. If anything, it's condescending to atheists. It supposes their belief is just a whim they can change for profit
    We can agree to disagree on the dichotomy thing. As far as the benefit, that is and always has been subjective. I don't think it's beneficial, and you don't seem to. But others can if they place so much potential utility in being religious that it overrides their projected utility of being non-religious.

As far as the whole condescending thing, I don't think that was Pascal's intention. He seemed to have been fine with atheists who were critical thinkers and didn't like anyone who made blanket statements about metaphysics with no room for change. It seems like the wager is meant to be an element that an individual considers when deciding their belief system or lack of one; it doesn't have to try to stand as the determining factor.
    Last edited by Chinook; 10-22-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Thread Information