Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What really is intelligence? I was blessed with a fantastic memory, I see anything once and if the interest is there it's locked away forever, I can't change my own oil.

One of my grandpa's couldn't read, what he could do was fix any and everything, grow the best garden in the county and cook better than any woman I've ever known.

I wonder what Ray Charles IQ was?

I know people with that college degree who have the great $$$$ job who don't have a lick of common sense.

What really is intelligence?
    Intelligence, in this sense, is defined as higher order thinking skills--the ability to plan, reason, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, and learn from experience. Not "street smarts" or "common sense."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Skeptics tend to learn about things before they form opinions about them. You mischaracterizing my viewpoint so badly is absolutely not how a true skeptic goes about making evaluations.
    I stand by my description of your proofs on god. You can claim foul all you like but prima causa and natural law arguments are what they are. Your word play to try and force a finite universe is what it is as well.

If you are not a Jesus worshiper then I was mistaken. I assumed since you used the arguments of christian philosophers that you were a christian yourself.

Helps to point out how I mischaracterized. There is no rational basis for a diety, Jesus or otherwise.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I stand by my description of your proofs on god. You can claim foul all you like but prima causa and natural law arguments are what they are. Your word play to try and force a finite universe is what it is as well.

If you are not a Jesus worshiper then I was mistaken. I assumed since you used the arguments of christian philosophers that you were a christian yourself.

Helps to point out how I mischaracterized. There is no rational basis for a diety, Jesus or otherwise.
    We've had threads of debate already (not you and me but in general) to talk about my view. I'll continue to think atheists are irrational, and you're free to continue thinking that of me. It's not a big deal.
    Last edited by Chinook; 10-16-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Atheism appeals to intellectuals, that we can agree on. But it appeals to them because it lines up with their views, not because it is inherently more reasonable.
    I do understand what you're saying. You're saying that, on the subject of the nature and origin of the universe, you occupy the same philosophical position as the less intelligent people in the world population.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I do understand what you're saying. You're saying that, on the subject of the nature and origin of the universe, you occupy the same philosophical position as the less intelligent people in the world population.
    I'm saying that I don't have nearly as much at stake as the average intellectual. So I don't feel a need to force atheism in my life. Obviously, that isn't to insult atheists. But atheism/theism may as well be a sports team or a brand of coffee. I'm sure there would be some trends about those types of preferences as they relate to IQ scores, though I doubt anyone would be toting those around as validation of their choice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Exactly. This is the crucial distinction many people miss. There are many high IQ people who hold irrational beliefs precisely because of their lack of critical thinking. The only thing their heightened intelligence does is make them more eloquent at defending these irrational beliefs.
    Eyup. It also allows them to be particularly adept at rationalization and the very human tendency towards confirmation bias.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm saying that I don't have nearly as much at stake as the average intellectual. So I don't feel a need to force atheism in my life. Obviously, that isn't to insult atheists. But atheism/theism may as well be a sports team or a brand of coffee. I'm sure there would be some trends about those types of preferences as they relate to IQ scores, though I doubt anyone would be toting those around as validation of their choice.
    I sort of muddled around in the same place you are for most of my life actually. Eventually I took the time to put some thought to it, and realized I was already pretty much an atheist, and just decided to be completely honest with myself about that. It was liberating to finally shed the last vestiges of the indoctrination.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sometimes I use big words to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

props.

silverblk mystix
    excellent way to avoid the question

except i was kidding about the excellent part

You revealed so much about your IQ by not being able to understand or grasp my short paragraph and furthermore you distorted and twisted and misinterpreted the treasure of truth I gave you.

Not surprised tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ... the treasure of truth I gave you.
    lololololol

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My Vitamin I allowance was exceeded by this post.

You'd better stock up!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I sort of muddled around in the same place you are for most of my life actually. Eventually I took the time to put some thought to it, and realized I was already pretty much an atheist, and just decided to be completely honest with myself about that. It was liberating to finally shed the last vestiges of the indoctrination.
    Nifty. I'll put that right up next to Xmas' professed transformation from atheism to theism in my file of why humans are different. I am not going to compare myself with you as far as my level of critical reasoning goes, since I probably don't know you in real life. And I am not going to act like I will never have a change of heart on this issue one way or the other. Life's the longest thing we do, after all.

But I got to where I was by thinking critically. I think that most atheists are where they are from a lack of reasoning -- rather, they recite lazy empiricist conventions and hide behind their conceptions of science. It's just a difference of opinion on our parts between who's irrational and whose view is the null a rational mind will eventually slip into. I'm okay with that.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    the treasure of truth I gave you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I am a deist, which in all practical applications, equates to an atheist who hopes he is wrong and there's an afterlife.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only a dummy would gamble spending an eternity burning.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Only a dummy would gamble spending an eternity burning.
    you are gambling with too... by believing in magic jesus you are violating one of the 10 commandments of judaism and are gambling spending an eternity in jewish

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you are gambling with too... by believing in magic jesus you are violating one of the 10 commandments of judaism and are gambling spending an eternity in jewish
    I take the...

Hey You, I have no idea what's going on here but I do believe in You. I know this didn't just happen. Sorry but that's the best I can do. Hopefully that will work. I sure in don't take the idiot approach like you do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I take the...

Hey You, I have no idea what's going on here but I do believe in You. I know this didn't just happen. Sorry but that's the best I can do. Hopefully that will work. I sure in don't take the idiot approach like you do.
    lol if i die and actually experience an afterlife that would surely alter my beliefs too. then i can just say im sorry and i'm in

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol if i die and actually experience an afterlife that would surely alter my beliefs too. then i can just say im sorry and i'm in
    So you've never noticed...

A player gets seriously hurt and there he lays. The next thing we see is all his teammates on a knee in prayer. Dude, only dummies play this stupid...."there is no God". I bet there are those in your family who believe in God, right? Where you work, right? How far can you drive without seeing a church?

Who wants a life with no hope or faith in anything? Yep, dummies like you.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You revealed so much about your IQ by not being able to understand or grasp my short paragraph and furthermore you distorted and twisted and misinterpreted the treasure of truth I gave you.
    Not surprised tbh.
    Too many here such as anaghka, bene gor, ohmwracked, and clumpy dumpy prefer to live their lies, sociopaths are like that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cincinnati Bearcats
    sad old man still butthurt
    trying to bury the fact that he faked his death because Avante hurt his feelings

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cincinnati Bearcats
    I mean, lying about graduating from an Ivy League school is one thing. , people applying for jobs make up worse things everyday.

Even getting duped by Twitter parody accounts is relatively tame compared to NBA players getting catfished.

Getting so upset by being put on blast by a poster whose figurative you guzzled on this board that you faked your own death and threatened lawsuits? That's going beyond 'socially awkward person on the Internet' and into 'potential psycho'. No wonder nobody wants to see you at GTGs anymore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    But I got to where I was by thinking critically. I think that most atheists are where they are from a lack of reasoning -- rather, they recite lazy empiricist conventions and hide behind their conceptions of science.
    I can't speak for "most atheists", I can only speak for myself. I spent quite a bit of time on it, and am far from lazy about it.

I haven't found any arguments for the existence of some supreme being that have stood up to even a modest amount of scrutiny or critical thinking. It always seems to boil down to fallacious thinking of one sort or another.

That said, there are fully some atheists who believe other stupid , like magic crystals and so forth. It isn't some shield against flawed thinking, and people can be rational in some areas, and irrational in others. I would put most religious people in the latter category, of course.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So you've never noticed...

A player gets seriously hurt and there he lays. The next thing we see is all his teammates on a knee in prayer. Dude, only dummies play this stupid...."there is no God". I bet there are those in your family who believe in God, right? Where you work, right? How far can you drive without seeing a church?

Who wants a life with no hope or faith in anything? Yep, dummies like you.

So many logical fallacies, so little time. I skipped the strawman/appeal to ridicule.

9 sentences, three logical fallacies.

An idea's ultimate truth is not determined by how many people believe it.

Atheists have a lot of hope actually, and I think faith is, well, stupid. Humans are better off without it, IMO.

Thread Information