Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Political and religious behaviors may be reflections of intelligence, a new study finds.

Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.

The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say. But they show how certain patterns of identifying with particular ideologies develop, and how some people's behaviors come to be.

The reasoning is that liberalism and atheism both go against what would be expected given humans' evolutionary past. In other words, none of these traits would have benefited our early human ancestors, but higher intelligence may be associated with them.

"The adoption of some evolutionarily novel ideas makes some sense in terms of moving the species forward," said George Washington University leadership professor James Bailey, who was not involved in the study. "It also makes perfect sense that more intelligent people -- people with, sort of, more intellectual firepower -- are likely to be the ones to do that."

Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said.

The study looked at a large sample from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health), which began with adolescents in grades 7-12 in the United States during the 1994-95 school year. The participants were interviewed as 18- to 28-year-olds from 2001 to 2002. The study also looked at the General Social Survey, another cross-national data collection source.

Religion, the current theory goes, did not help people survive or reproduce necessarily, but goes along the lines of helping people to be paranoid, Kanazawa said. Assuming that, for example, a noise in the distance is a signal of a threat helped early humans to prepare in case of danger.

"It helps life to be paranoid, and because humans are paranoid, they become more religious, and they see the hands of God everywhere," Kanazawa said.

Participants who said they were atheists had an average IQ of 103 in adolescence, while adults who said they were religious averaged 97, the study found. Atheism "allows someone to move forward and speculate on life without any concern for the dogmatic structure of a religion," Bailey said.

"Historically, anything that's new and different can be seen as a threat in terms of the religious beliefs; almost all religious systems are about permanence," he noted.

The study takes the American view of liberal vs. conservative. It defines "liberal" in terms of concern for genetically nonrelated people and support for private resources that help those people. It does not look at other factors that play into American political beliefs, such as abortion, gun control and gay rights.

"Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with," he said.

Given that human ancestors had a keen interest in the survival of their offspring and nearest kin, the conservative approach -- looking out for the people around you first -- fits with the evolutionary picture more than liberalism, Kanazawa said. "It's unnatural for humans to be concerned about total strangers." he said.

The study found that young adults who said they were "very conservative" had an average adolescent IQ of 95, whereas those who said they were "very liberal" averaged 106.

It also makes sense that "conservatism" as a worldview of keeping things stable would be a safer approach than venturing toward the unfamiliar, Bailey said.

Neither Bailey nor Kanazawa identify themselves as liberal; Bailey is conservative and Kanazawa is "a strong libertarian."

Vegetarianism, while not strongly associated with IQ in this study, has been shown to be related to intelligence in previous research, Kanazawa said. This also fits into Bailey's idea that unconventional preferences appeal to people with higher intelligence, and can also be a means of showing superiority.

None of this means that the human species is evolving toward a future where these traits are the default, Kanazawa said.

"More intelligent people don't have more children, so moving away from the trajectory is not going to happen," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/0....intelligence/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    what's with your fascination with IQ?

im guessing you took an IQ test at some point in the near past, scored well, and are basking in your glory. or i'm just a presumptive ass. probably that one

while im not necessarily rejecting the findings, i think there is some experimenter bias. a european (likely liberal) evolutionary psychologist (likely atheist) has put forth a study that says liberals and atheists are smarter. while they dont identify as liberal, that's by european standards, where the entire spectrum is shifted a few units to the left

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Another study from a liberal source a couple years ago found the exact opposite results.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Another study from a liberal source a couple years ago found the exact opposite results.
    Link?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    what's with your fascination with IQ?

im guessing you took an IQ test at some point in the near past, scored well, and are basking in your glory. or i'm just a presumptive ass. probably that one
    Both.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This study was conducted by academics from the London School of Economics and Political Science. And their findings were published in Social Psychology Quarterly. This is as high quality a study as you're going to find.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    nailed it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Not surprising. Atheism appeals to intellectuals, not because it's more rational or whatever, but because it makes them feel better about themselves. I think it was Freud who said that a strong disbelief in god was the best way to balance out the warring impulses in the mind (by taking out the super ego or whatever). Marx said religion made lower-class folk complacent and that throwing off the yolk of faith would help end subjugation. Neither or those arguments are based on the inherent rightness of atheism. They're both just humanistic arguments, which appeal more to intellectuals than faith-based arguments (the "healing the soul" kind, not the epistemological kind).

As far as the liberal/conservative split, I don't think that needs a ton of explanation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not surprising. Atheism appeals to intellectuals, not because it's more rational or whatever, but because it makes them feel better about themselves.
    Au contraire, atheism appeals to intellectuals precisely because it's regarded as the more rational position to hold. Religious beliefs, by virtue of their being untestable, unverifiable, and not being anchored in science, are unappealing to more intelligent people who "know better."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll look when I get a chance later.
    As far as the liberal/conservative split, I don't think that needs a ton of explanation.
    If you are twenty and not a liberal you don't have a heart. If you are forty and not a conservative, you don't have a brain.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you are twenty and not a liberal you don't have a heart. If you are forty and not a conservative, you don't have a brain.
    This is a common myth that's been bandied around incessantly. In reality, studies have shown that, although it is true that an individual generally becomes more conservative as he or she ages, the difference is not by much, and people who generally identify as liberal in their youth will do so for life.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I don't put much faith in IQ tests considering Albert Einstein often needed help tying his own shoes.

There are many worthless bags with high IQs

Ted Bundy

Why people who boast about their IQ are (generally) losers

http://www.thepolemicalmedic.com/201...erally-losers/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Sometimes I use big words to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I don't put much faith in IQ tests considering Albert Einstein often needed help tying his own shoes.

There are many worthless bags with high IQs

Ted Bundy

Why people who boast about their IQ are (generally) losers

http://www.thepolemicalmedic.com/201...erally-losers/
    Whatever helps you cope with your low IQ

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Au contraire, atheism appeals to intellectuals precisely because it's regarded as the more rational position to hold. Religious beliefs, by virtue of their being untestable, unverifiable, and not being anchored in science, are unappealing to more intelligent people who "know better."
    fancy way of saying that it makes intellectuals feel better about themselves.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sometimes I use big words to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Whatever helps you cope with your low IQ
    Knowing you read my postings is much more important to me than any IQ grade.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    My iq has been professionally tested around 140, right on par for most of the senior nazi leadership.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It is provably a more rational position to hold.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My iq has been professionally tested around 140, right on par for most of the senior nazi leadership.
    As has mine.

Yet you appear to be hobbled by some really flawed thinking when it comes to a lot of subjects, as well as devotion to some bizarre nazi meme.

It is possible to be intelligent, and have no critical thinking skills.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So this is going to be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly? Can't wait.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Actually, Einstein's IQ is estimated to be at around 160, which would put him in the genius category--which isn't really all that surprising, considering he's one of the most accomplished physicists who's ever lived. And you can ridicule him for his inability to tie his shoes all you want, but the fact of the matter is, IQ tests measure higher order thinking skills like "the ability to reason, plan, think abstractly, solve problems, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience." Not motor skills like tying one's shoes.

Also, Einstein was, unsurprisingly, an atheist. He said, "I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    another no ? sherlock study tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    fancy way of saying that it makes intellectuals feel better about themselves.
    There are plenty of strong philosophical arguments from the atheist camp. The Problem of Evil, the Argument from Inconsistent Revelations, and the Argument from Nonbelief are but a few examples of this.

More importantly, a recent survey of the most well-renowned philosophers in their field showed that an overwhelming majority, 72.8%, identify as atheist, and only 14.6% identify as theist (12.6% identify as Other, which presumably means agnostic).

http://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It is possible to be intelligent, and have no critical thinking skills.
    Exactly. This is the crucial distinction many people miss. There are many high IQ people who hold irrational beliefs precisely because of their lack of critical thinking. The only thing their heightened intelligence does is make them more eloquent at defending these irrational beliefs.

Thread Information