Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put yourself in his shoes. It would suck. Getting approached every time you go out into public. I can see where you're coming from and you can just as well put yourself in her shoes. Some players go out of their way (eg David Robinson) with fans and that's awesome. But not everyone is built that way. These players are just people at the end of the day. Some are going to be nicer than others. Not everyone you encounter throughout the day is going to bend over backwards for you. No hard feelings should be lost on that .

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if the Latina chick was his side b**** and he don't want any evidence? We all know what happened the last time a Spurs player broke up with a latina... The Messi fanboys keep ing about him every chance they get
    Last edited by TheGreatYacht; 10-16-2014 at 10:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a scheduled autograph signing man, be real here. I wouldn't give a if you're in a wheelchair with a bag, it's a job, and if I was "off the clock" there wouldn't be any posing for pictures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP is going to be a Mavs fan now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol "I would have had words with him!!!"

Don't be afraid to speak up bro. When you give me bad service at the car wash, I'm gonna let you know.

Whoa bro. You're just having words with everybody today!

He could have told her to off too. I get protecting your daughter assuming that this is even true but it sounds to me that she was politely declined. Perhaps you should teach your kid to handle that type of situation rather than this bull of carrying on like she should get everything her heart desires.

She was not wronged and he doesn't owe you or her anything.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here we have a classic example of 40+ year old guy who started lifting weights at his local gym (about a month ago) and has that irrational confidence sky high.

It's the only way to explain someone casually tossing out phrases like "I would have had words" [with a 6'7" black man in peak physical condition], and "bet you wouldn't say that to my face."

He's going to be in line at HEB one day and get salty with the wrong Mexican. After the dude goes open-hand on his face, in front of his daughter, he'll stop coming to ST and saying re ed stuff like "bet you wouldn't say that to my face."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the name on the front of the jersey is much more important than on the back. i have had some run ins with the spurs and these are just my two cents.
    ICE=not enough pens or paper in the room when i met him. Loved signing autographs. Met him as a kid and saw him later as an adult. Nicest guy on the planet. Seemed very genuine.

Willie Anderson and Rod Strickland=very laid backed and very cool. Weren't full of themselves and actually seemed interested in what you had to say (could have been act but who knows)

Mad Max=this was a trip, me and family at Lubys during the week, Max rolls in with at least 4 other guys (no idea who they where) anyways dude and his friends help older people out with their trays to sit down. When we where leaving and checking out, was told by one of the bus boys he took care of all the elderly patrons food tab. dont know if the tab part is true but did see him help alot of those peoples with their trays.

Duncan couldn't be bothered at a Mexican restaurant that me and family where at, but i could care less. dude gave us 5 rings.

Bowen was a and that's all i am gonna say. really disappointing oh well, like i said, name on front much more important than name on back. i forgot one more, met Chuck person, dude is either great actor or real thing. nothing but nice to the people around him.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My wife and daughter were there, but if I was there I would have asked him what's the deal? No picture for the kid? He would have said I have an eye infection and I wold have apologized. If he was a about it and would have been a back and walked away. Don't want to go to jail or get my ass kicked on a Wednesday afternoon.
    Just saying, the guy owes you no explanation.

Like you said, its HEB. Kawhi is out shopping. That is his personal time. He owes you nothing. If he stopped to give an autograph to everyone who ask, he would never have any personal time to himself.

He just got back from Europe where I am sure he signed a load of autographs. The guy just wants to a have a normal time shopping at a grocery store. Its must be nice going places with your family and strangers not harassing you for petty things.
    Last edited by Cowboys_Wear_Spurs; 10-16-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I'd have been disappointed if that happened to my kid too. But that being said, some guys just don't like attention and Kawhi doesn't come off as very approachable. Meh, he's a kid himself with little social skills.
    I wouldn't be disappointed.

My daughters have met their share of celebrities and pretty much all have taken pictures with them without me or them asking. I tell my daughters, if you let people know what you appreciate about them first, they will be incline to do more for you.

But, these people are just PEOPLE, who happen to get some camera time on TV. I have been to my share of camps and such and never asked or received an Autograph from one Spurs or Cowboys players. My cousin was infatuated with that stuff and kinda of still is. Has a whole room filled with signed Spurs and Cowboys paraphernalia.

But even as a kid, I was always like, why the do I need these guys scribbling down their name for me. 5 years ago, you didn't give a who Kawhi Leonard was. All he is, is a guy who is very good at dribbling a BB, putting into a hoop, shooting the corner 3 and stopping other people from doing it as well.

This thread just shows you how brainwash people are in idolizing other people. What the have these guys ever done for me personally that I would go out of my way and asked them for their signature.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget all the people using their dumb smartphones taking pictures and videos of them anytime they are out in public. Basketball players have it the hardest being so frigging tall. They stand out in a crowd. It's a tough time to be a public figure in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be disappointed.
    It's different for kids. Asking for an autograph is their way of showing respect and appreciation. So when an athlete says "No" to their request, it feels like rejection. So, if I saw my kid getting rejected, I'd feel awful for them - regardless of the cir stances.

I agree with you about autographs though. I've never understood the fascination with getting or having them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a tough time to be a public figure in the world.

tough time... cry me a freaking river

dudes get MUSD contracts to play a game, they can deal with pictures and autograph

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh at the posters conflating autism with just being an introvert

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like you said, its HEB. Kawhi is out shopping. That is his personal time. He owes you nothing. If he stopped to give an autograph to everyone who ask, he would never have any personal time to himself.
    Don't forget all the people using their dumb smartphones taking pictures and videos of them anytime they are out in public. Basketball players have it the hardest being so frigging tall. They stand out in a crowd. It's a tough time to be a public figure in the world.
    )

Steak n' Shake, Panera, Chipotle, (HEB OP)...

Sadly people don't know/respect the dividing line between public job and private life.

If he doesn't want to give an autograph/take photos in his personal time, if he wasn't rude or inappropriate, if he's a simple guy who just wants people respect his private life...how can someone blame him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, we all know Leonard hates kids, just look the pic he strangles kids to death, obviously he's a child killer ...

I would never let my daughter to approach him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've met Kawhi before and got an autograph. Never had any problems, so probably the eye issue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's different for kids. Asking for an autograph is their way of showing respect and appreciation. So when an athlete says "No" to their request, it feels like rejection. So, if I saw my kid getting rejected, I'd feel awful for them - regardless of the cir stances.

I agree with you about autographs though. I've never understood the fascination with getting or having them.
    Same for me. I have had only one autograph in my life and I don't even know where it is (somewhere in the basement probably). But in he same situation I would feel bad for my kids. Mad at Kawhi? I don't think so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put yourself in his shoes. It would suck. Getting approached every time you go out into public. I can see where you're coming from and you can just as well put yourself in her shoes. Some players go out of their way (eg David Robinson) with fans and that's awesome. But not everyone is built that way. These players are just people at the end of the day. Some are going to be nicer than others. Not everyone you encounter throughout the day is going to bend over backwards for you. No hard feelings should be lost on that .
    I do think it's lame to refuse a child asking for a photo, and I also think that if you choose to play in the NBA, you also choose the public lifestyle. That said, we live in a different world where photographs can be e-mailed and altered and get people in all kinds of problems. Maybe there is some kind of Spurs policy on photos? I don't know, but if not, they should make one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here we have a classic example of 40+ year old guy who started lifting weights at his local gym (about a month ago) and has that irrational confidence sky high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP, FWIW, Kawhi did turn her on

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    "Kawhi turns down my daughter"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't blame Kawhi if that's his thing, as long as he isn't rude about it. One of my buddies that goes to Clemson and I saw Brian Dawkins and another player in the NFL at a bar in Clemson. We waited until they were finished eating and asked if they would take a picture with us and they were cool with it. We figured if they were at a busy bar in Clemson (where former players like Dawkins are considered heroes) then he would most likely not mind the attention. It'd be different if he was out in public just trying to get groceries or something. You've got to realize that some of these guys get recognized every time they leave their house.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My cousin got a picture with Tim Duncan at a Walgreens about 10 years ago simply because they both happen to like Dungeons and Dragons... My cousin sheepishly approached him with a question about the video game and they proceeded to chat away for the next 5 minutes... to this day, I have no clue about what they were talking about even though I was standing right there... I couldn't even get a basketball related comment in, other than a "Go Spurs, Go!" as we walked away (the off-season after 0.4 )...

No autograph, or picture for me... just an awesome memory at this point. So while I was very elated about the luck opportunity of meeting and talking with Tim Duncan, I was more content with the fact that he saw us as more than just fans... I recently brought up this anecdotal moment at a family quasi-reunion-of-sorts and apparently my cousin and Duncan have met on a couple of occasions in the online world of D&D as well... (of course her husband gets far more excited than she does about the fact that they are helping Tim's D&D alter ego)...
    Last edited by Phenomanul; 10-16-2014 at 02:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the "would it be ok to have pictures taken outside of your work?!!" argument. These aren't normal guys. They know what they signed up for and get paid an obscene amount for playing a sport due to fans. While that doesn't mean they deserve to be on display all the time, those expecting to have their cake and eat it too are dumb.

As long as they do plenty of team events and are gracious most of the time in the right settings, I don't mind. But to always say no outside of the "Spurs" arena is just wrong IMO.
    I agree. I am a huge spurs fan but i pick my spots when i decide to buy tickets to games. Fans pay a good amount of these guys salaries and are treated like unibombers for admiring a player from there favorite team smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crofl, not sure if serious tbh.
    chuckled a little bit visualizing someone just walked past kawhi doing the hand symbol lol

Thread Information