Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/video/games/suns/...phx-play4.nba/

Lol, I remember a few years back when he made a chicken flapping gesture at the Spurs bench for sitting Duncan and Manu.

*This was prob discussed in the game thread but dont really want to read through it...

Last edited by manu2timdynasty; 10-17-2014 at 02:15 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once a clown always a clown.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    In all fairness I don't blame him, the Spurs are the defending NBA champs and forget Duncan, Manu, Parker, not even Pop showed up. The saying goes you get what you paid for and those fans expected to at least have Pop, Parker there. It's like ordering a cheeseburger and just getting the bun only, no meat, pickles, cheese, ketchup, you would feel jipped. It was a classy move to show a little heart for people paying their hard earned money for the bun only but it's not what they paid for.
    Last edited by Chillen; 10-17-2014 at 03:47 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all fairness I don't blame him, the Spurs are the defending NBA champs and forget Duncan, Manu, Parker, not even Pop showed up. The saying goes you get what you paid for and those fans expected to at least have Pop, Parker there. It's like ordering a cheeseburger and just getting the bun only, no meat, pickles, cheese, ketchup, you would feel jipped. It was a classy move to show a little heart for people paying their hard earned money for the bun only but it's not what they paid for.
    I think Pop was trolling him tbh.

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL pre-season game rage

LOL people paying hard earned money for pre-season game

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I love the Spurs. They simply don't give a . They use the pre-season games to its purpose, to discover who can help the main core in the main season and who can't.

They don't care about a cheap owner trying to show off his lottery team.

The same guy that gives pre-season money back refuses to give Joe Johnson a 6y/50m extension because of a 5m difference. The same JJ that would spend his whole prime in Atlanta as an all-star.

No wonder one team has 5 rings and the other one has 0.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if serious.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the Spurs just did a European tour and played major minutes to promote the NBA brand, I'm sure Silver and Co. didn't mind at all. This buffoon just need to get over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should have used the money to buy gifts and put it in their roster during the SSOL, they may have won a championship then if he didn't skim on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol. Sarver trying to create some animosity/rivalry where there is none.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can only imagine Pops reaction to the reporter who first asks him about this during the next practice interview ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would fans of other teams pay to go see Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I love the Spurs. They simply don't give a . They use the pre-season games to its purpose, to discover who can help the main core in the main season and who can't.

They don't care about a cheap owner trying to show off his lottery team.

The same guy that gives pre-season money back refuses to give Joe Johnson a 6y/50m extension because of a 5m difference. The same JJ that would spend his whole prime in Atlanta as an all-star.

No wonder one team has 5 rings and the other one has 0.
    Agree 100 percent with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think in a roundabout way this is really about the cost of preseason tickets. They are absurdly high. If I paid $50 a head to go see a game, I'd be pissed if one team didn't really show up. If I were Sarver, I'd be sure to do the same thing to SA if/when they have a preseason game there.

Of course I understand why Pop did it, and it's fine with me, but to me its just one more chapter in the story of the league's greed. I.e., the lockouts, the excessive number of reg season games, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those fans who go to pre season games must be dumb if they expect to see a full roster to play! o, it's in pre season!!!

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans go to watch the spurs play in San Antonio. PHX fans go to watch the team that is playing the suns. Seems like he needs to mend his own fences, and not worry about us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least they could have played Parker. I mean, he is younger than Manu and Timmy and rested all summer. Why did they leave him in S.A?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least they could have played Parker. I mean, he is younger than Manu and Timmy and rested all summer. Why did they leave him in S.A?
    Because Pop's job is to build a compe ive basketball team, not to entertain the people of Phoenix, Arizona.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm baffled by this. The Spurs basically left two healthy guys home from a preseason game. In the next game, they'll likely not play Parker and another rotation player or two. It's the preseason. That's what happens.

I'm also amused by the idea that anyone was mad that Pop wasn't there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least they could have played Parker.
    The box score says that Tony Parker started and played 22 minutes:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400583978

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm also amused by the idea that anyone was mad that Pop wasn't there.
    There are people on Reddit legitimately arguing this point with me.

" Even Popovich didn't show up tho. That's a little ridiculous. He's a character and he's got a fistful of rings. People who like the NBA enough to see a preseason game would probably be a little disappointed".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Sarver thinks the Spurs should have forced Duncan/Ginobili since Leonard and league wide fan favorite Tiago Splitter were injured. Or perhaps he thinks that if the Spurs wanted to rest Duncan and Ginobili, they need to compel Leonard and Splitter to play.

It's amazing: a few years ago, everyone wanted the boring Spurs to just go away; now, everyone gets pissed when they can't see the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are people on Reddit legitimately arguing this point with me.

" Even Popovich didn't show up tho. That's a little ridiculous. He's a character and he's got a fistful of rings. People who like the NBA enough to see a preseason game would probably be a little disappointed".
    Pop has his own motivations on this one, but given that he left Ettore in charge, my guess is that he wanted him and the staff to have to deal with this situation on their own (particularly since Ettore and Becky don't have a lot of NBA experience) and to sink or swim in that environment without being able to look over to him for guidance.

That's particularly important, one would think, after Boylen "forgot" to get Kawhi off the bench in the second half of a game where Pop was ejected last year. Let the assistants get some work in during the preseason, too, so that they aren't panicked when they have to do it alone after an ejection sometime during the season. The margin for error at the top of the West is small, so being prepared for everything seems sensible.

Pop has, by the way, done this for years, too. He used to just stay away from preseason games (and even late season regular season games when cir stances allowed) to let Budenholzer gain some first chair experience, which ended up paying off in 2012-13 during a Popovich illness as Bud guided the team to 3 wins.

Thread Information