Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teties you say never forget this or that but the Spurs are champs now so past mistakes here or there is just what it is. Some need to enjoy the le, those are very hard to come by.

Bonner/Blair can't do dat capek's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hindsight confirms what some of us have said from the time Splitter was drafted. He makes the team better on both ends, particularly on defense, and particularly because of the pressure he takes off Duncan. He would have been better to have on the floor from the day he arrived in town. Period. There's no way to distort that. People talking about space seem to think that offensive spacing matters when you have two bigs that play the pick and roll as well as they do. It doesn't. They aren't competing for post space or both standing 15 feet away shooting jumpers. I predicted the Spurs' pick and rolls would become unlike anything we'd ever seen when Splitter was on the floor with Duncan and Manu and Parker. That's what happened. Instead we had a year that he sat on the bench and they decided to mess with his shooting form, which wrecked his free throw shooting for over a year. Wasn't well handled. I'm just grateful that they finally figured it out.

Scola was a power forward When Scola was traded, Duncan had played his entire career at power forward next to true centers. There was a case to be made, since he and Duncan played the same position, though Scola's jumper was far more reliable than anyone was saying at the time, and he would have been a quality addition to any team.

Splitter is a center. Always has been. It's why they play well together.
    They're also, the three of them, just tall men who play basketball.

Anyways, the great thing about your approach is that there's not a thing that can be done to confirm or refute it. Of course, that also works to its detriment, making it rather trivial, at the end of the day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, Dallas forced a game seven because Pop was outcoached by Carlisle's game plan, particularly his defensive schemes and switches.
    No. Green held Ellis down for the first 40 minutes of Game Six. Then Pop took him out and Monta went on a run to put Dallas up for good.

[QUOTE]It took six games to put Danny on Monta [/QUOTE]

It didn't take six games. Pop put Green on Ellis at times before then. It was at the end of Game Six that Pop made the big mistake of taking Danny out.

Pop lost his patience with Green's offense -his shot wasn't falling in the first games- and Beli played more/Danny played less minutes than advisable.
    Sort of agree, but Green shot well the last three games of the series, I believe. Danny was perfect from the floor in Game Six.

But Leonard on Ellis wasn't the reason for the long series, Carlisle's game plan was.
    Carlisle had a great game-plan. But it would have been a short series anyway had Carter missed that shot in Game Three. It would have ended in six had Pop made the right move and kept Green on the floor instead of Leonard in crunchtime. Green and Splitter were destroying Ellis and Dirk as a duo. They just didn't get enough time. I think it was Game Five that Pop inexplicably benched Splitter at the end and almost lost because of it.
    Last edited by Chinook; 10-20-2014 at 02:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter was really instrumental in helping the Spurs sweep Memphis in 2013. He held down Z-Bo and played defense better than any big I've seen alongside Duncan since Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter was really instrumental in helping the Spurs sweep Memphis in 2013. He held down Z-Bo and played defense better than any big I've seen alongside Duncan since Robinson.
    That wasn't the the same ZBo. He was never really the same after his knee surgery. 2011 ZBo was essentially Dirk with premium rebounding.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol spurfan can't go a day without wallowing in a loss one way or another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That wasn't the the same ZBo. He was never really the same after his knee surgery. 2011 ZBo was essentially Dirk with premium rebounding.
    lol no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol yes. He couldn't ing miss with that jumper. Ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It didn't take six games. Pop put Green on Ellis at times before then.
    I referred to most part of the game.

Sort of agree, but Green shot well the last three games of the series, I believe. Danny was perfect from the floor in Game Six.
    I know, but even in games when Danny has trouble being effective from a 3-point line, I still want he's out there on the floor.
    I have been saying this for a long time
    Green's returns and give him more minutes (to come back in the starting lineup) will help, too.
    Some people don't realize how good on-ball defender is Danny Green and the impact he makes on Spurs defense.
    IMO it's not a big deal if Danny's 3's aren't falling if the other team can't score
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=228044&page=2

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're also, the three of them, just tall men who play basketball.

Anyways, the great thing about your approach is that there's not a thing that can be done to confirm or refute it. Of course, that also works to its detriment, making it rather trivial, at the end of the day.
    The great thing about your ignorance is that no amount of evidence will change your mind. At the end of the day, the facts remain: Splitter is a great defender. Splitter didn't learn how to be a defender by sitting on the bench for two years. Splitter is also great in the pick and roll, as is Duncan. The Spurs went to the finals two years in a row after Splitter became the full-time starting center alongside Duncan, and their defense and offense both improved dramatically. Nothing trivial about any of those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny how letting guys score at will in the paint makes the basket look a lot bigger. Everyone on the Grizzlies had a hard time missing in 2011.

It was very lucky that Zach Randolph apparently had knee surgery between the second and third round of the playoffs, because he went from 20 points per game knocking out Griffin/Jordan and Ibaka/Perkins to 12 ppg against Splitter and Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny how letting guys score at will in the paint makes the basket look a lot bigger. Everyone on the Grizzlies had a hard time missing in 2011.

It was very lucky that Zach Randolph apparently had knee surgery between the second and third round of the playoffs, because he went from 20 points per game knocking out Griffin/Jordan and Ibaka/Perkins to 12 ppg against Splitter and Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is very similar to how Wade was being talked about as having one of his best playoff runs this year. Until the Finals, when suddenly he's bordering on retirement. Weird how that works and always seems to happen against the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I like Splitter and what he has done the past few years. Especially vs LMA this year
    But the big difference between the 20 ppg vs Ibaka/Perkins and the 12 ppg against Splitter and Duncan in 2013 is that the spurs used constant double team on him while leaving Tony Allen and Prince wiiiide open

ZBO couldn't have the ball more than one sec without double team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Splitter and what he has done the past few years. Especially vs LMA this year
    But the big difference between the 20 ppg vs Ibaka/Perkins and the 12 ppg against Splitter and Duncan in 2013 is that the spurs used constant double team on him while leaving Tony Allen and Prince wiiiide open

Is the argument you're making that double-teaming was the difference between Randolph's performance against the Clippers and against the Spurs? What makes you think that the Clippers didn't employ that tactic?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus christ. Get the off Tiago splitter 's nuts. The guy has a terrible offensive game. And you Homers on here greatly over estimate his defensive game. Blair outplayed him in the Dallas series, and if Blairs dumb ass didn't kick him in the head Dallas would have won. Too inconsistent and let's be real he's a 8 and 6 career player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus christ. Get the off Tiago splitter 's nuts. The guy has a terrible offensive game. And you Homers on here greatly over estimate his defensive game. Blair outplayed him in the Dallas series, and if Blairs dumb ass didn't kick him in the head Dallas would have won. Too inconsistent and let's be real he's a 8 and 6 career player
    hurr durr

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The tremendous hindsight view of Grizz fans and others.
    Why is it that things seem so much easier to predict after they have occurred?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't forget that they were fronting him everytime. He couldn't get good position, and Conley or whoever couldn't feed it to him well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grizzlies who the fu#$ are they, the new nfl team coming to sa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Z-Bo was being defended either by the short Dejuan Blair or the worst version of Tim Duncan. So, NO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter wasn't the reason we struggled against Dallas. In fact, he was one of our best players that series. It was Parker, Leonard, Mills, and Belli that laid an egg against Dallas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The great thing about your ignorance is that no amount of evidence will change your mind. At the end of the day, the facts remain: Splitter is a great defender. Splitter didn't learn how to be a defender by sitting on the bench for two years. Splitter is also great in the pick and roll, as is Duncan. The Spurs went to the finals two years in a row after Splitter became the full-time starting center alongside Duncan, and their defense and offense both improved dramatically. Nothing trivial about any of those.
    Trumped by your ignorance as to what conversation is even being had?

Look, a lot of what you say goes without saying. But still, none of it works as evidence for the claim that we would have done anything that year if Tiago had gotten consistent burn that season. That was a very flawed team. Also, it's in the past, so who gives a ?

As an aside, you really think that Tiago is the explanation for why we made the WFC three years in a row, the Finals twice? Really? ing . He certainly contributed, something else that goes without saying, but if you're going to name one cause, and expect not to be laughed out of the room, that one cause better be the trade for the current FMVP.

Man, a lot of stupid in that post...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, a lot of stupid in that post...
    From the guy who blamed Zbo's surgery on his poor performance...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the guy who blamed Zbo's surgery on his poor performance...
    That never happened. Check again.

Thread Information