Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Washington Wizards
    Twice in the last month I've been driving out that way and seen F-22 Raptors taking off or landing. It was awesome. Just as it lifted off the pilot pulled the stick back and pointed it straight up...it was almost suspended for a moment it seemed ..then BOOM...straight up and gone. I was so excited when I saw it....my son was driving and I almost yelled, 'That's an F-22 !!' .

Are they now training F-22 pilots at Randolph ? Does anyone know ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sounds like you answered your own question. That vertical lift is the vector thrusting, it makes it much more agile than anything out there dog fighting.

I haven't seen one yet, I'm closer to Lackland. It's about damn time they used the F-22's.. started development in like 93', and barely sees it's first combat 2 weeks ago in Syria. No plane is gonna match the F-22, not the F-35, nothing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Probably test flights but they do not train on F-22's at Randolph.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Probably test flights but they do not train on F-22's at Randolph.
    Yeah, they're based out of Virginia.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so how many country currently has f22?

yet u clowns pushin countries to buy the thats jsf?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't think anyone has the F-22 other than the US. Why wouldn't we sell the F-35 to NATO countries? The F-35 or JSF as you referred to it as is a cut below the F-22 in air superiority, but offers vertical liftoff and hovering, and is a fraction of the cost of the F-22. The US would be fools to sell the F-22 to NATO countries, with the way the US operates with or without the support of the UN, those same planes that were sold may be matched up with the US Air Force one day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sounds like you answered your own question. That vertical lift is the vector thrusting, it makes it much more agile than anything out there dog fighting.

I haven't seen one yet, I'm closer to Lackland. It's about damn time they used the F-22's.. started development in like 93', and barely sees it's first combat 2 weeks ago in Syria. No plane is gonna match the F-22, not the F-35, nothing.
    Do you mean thrust vectoring?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Do you mean thrust vectoring?
    Yeah, same .

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

F-22 holds it's own in a dog fight but certainly couldn't be called unmatched in dog fighting ability. It was designed to see all and kill all before it ever got into a dog fight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    F-22 holds it's own in a dog fight but certainly couldn't be called unmatched in dog fighting ability. It was designed to see all and kill all before it ever got into a dog fight.
    Name a plane that can match it.

The F-22 can cut corners and loops shorter than any other fighter in the world. Let's just say it doesn't take out the enemy before they are aware of it's presence, it will be able to get behind the enemy for the lock much easier than anything in the skies. That includes the Typhoon, SU-27, Rafale, you name it. It's currently unmatched. the Super Hornet is more capable than anything else anyone has too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The F-22 can cut corners and loops shorter than any other fighter in the world. Let's just say it doesn't take out the enemy before they are aware of it's presence, it will be able to get behind the enemy for the lock much easier than anything in the skies. That includes the Typhoon, SU-27, Rafale, you name it. It's currently unmatched. the Super Hornet is more capable than anything else anyone has too.
    It was supposed to dominate the Typhoon in wargames and didn't. It is 'better' but can get caught with its pants down trying to dogfight as the TV chews up kinetic energy as it is very inefficient.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cincinnati Bearcats
    In fairness, there would have been a massive up somewhere if the F-22 lets an actual opponent get into dogfighting range. The radar and stealth advantages the Raptor has were meant to dictate air combat way before things get up close and personal.

The type of maneuvering needed in dogfighting favors the delta+canards design the Typhoon has though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It was supposed to dominate the Typhoon in wargames and didn't. It is 'better' but can get caught with its pants down trying to dogfight as the TV chews up kinetic energy as it is very inefficient.
    Source/link?

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    fuzzy tends to be full of from time to...well all of the time

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    fuzzy tends to be full of from time to...well all of the time
    Well surely what I've missed about the Typhoon being such an even match for the F-22 has to be on a reputable website somewhere.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

not really pertinent to compare a 5th generation plane with a guy like Rafale that has been developped in the eighties even if Rafale can hold his ground against later generation planes and is arguably the most capable one of the 4th generation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cincinnati Bearcats
    By what metrics would the Super Hornet be considered superior to the Typhoon?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    By what metrics would the Super Hornet be considered superior to the Typhoon?
    Ok, maybe I'm being a little too patriotic here. The Super Hornet has better avionics (completely rebuilt vs the original hornet, with excellent radar) it's larger while remaining fast, and according to what I've read has better armor, better cost efficiency, but the Typhoon is slightly faster, has a little better range as it's more fuel efficient, and has a better armament other than the cannon IMO.

They are pretty evenly matched which is crazy considering the Super Hornet was made in 1990. The Super Hornet doesn't really apply to my original conversation about the top exclusive jet fighters, as the Super Hornet is used by other NATO countries, as Australia for a fact is using them.

not really pertinent to compare a 5th generation plane with a guy like Rafale that has been developped in the eighties even if Rafale can hold his ground against later generation planes and is arguably the most capable one of the 4th generation.
    My comparison is the best each country's air force has to offer. Also, the F-22 started development not far after, it started in the early 90's.
    Last edited by DJR210; 10-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Also, the F-22 started development not far after, it started in the early 90's.
    now you are reaching, Rafale started in 1976 tbh but I got the best fighter available

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Typhoon has held it's own against the F-22 in joint dog fighting excercises
    http://theaviationist.com/2012/07/13...yphoon-raptor/

Even the F-15 has been able to hold it's own against the F-22 when it comes to dog fighting.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the F-22, it will reign supreme for a long time, but not because of it's dog fighting ability. Comparing fighters based on dog fighting ability is really missing the point of where technology is heading. First eliminate the need for dog fighting, then eliminate the need for a pilot.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.businessinsider.com/f-22-...fighter-2013-2

I am not a pilot but I know about energy fighters and turn fighters.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well surely what I've missed about the Typhoon being such an even match for the F-22 has to be on a reputable website somewhere.
    Youre pretty ing dumb to equate "was supposed to dominate and didn't" and "even match."

Typhoons were supposed to not be able to score any kills at all and they did. Other US planes have been able to do the same.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Typhoon has held it's own against the F-22 in joint dog fighting excercises
    http://theaviationist.com/2012/07/13...yphoon-raptor/

Even the F-15 has been able to hold it's own against the F-22 when it comes to dog fighting.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the F-22, it will reign supreme for a long time, but not because of it's dog fighting ability. Comparing fighters based on dog fighting ability is really missing the point of where technology is heading. First eliminate the need for dog fighting, then eliminate the need for a pilot.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/f-22-...fighter-2013-2

I am not a pilot but I know about energy fighters and turn fighters.
    Good read on both

But, it's a headline grabbing claim made by a Typhoon pilot . I wouldn't expect him to come out and make he and his country's plane sound inferior. Need independent, unbiased sources.

Thread Information