Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, when Lebron makes it an utmost requirement to have a dream team built around him each year, you'd expect his teams to be impressive.
    lol. Good take.

I kind of wanted him to go back to Cleveland, but as soon as he did, I realized that they had stockpiled young talent and had the assets to build a very good team around him. So Lebron going back to Cleveland put him in an even better situation than he was in with Miami. I just don't like how he keeps jumping to the better situation as if it's some sort of requirement for him to play with a loaded team.

People say that the haters don't like him because he's the best and the best usually get hated on, but I don't agree with that being the reason at all in Lebron's situation. It's the fact that he seems to always want to be on a loaded team or he won't play for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol. Good take.

I kind of wanted him to go back to Cleveland, but as soon as he did, I realized that they had stockpiled young talent and had the assets to build a very good team around him. So Lebron going back to Cleveland put him in an even better situation than he was in with Miami. I just don't like how he keeps jumping to the better situation as if it's some sort of requirement for him to play with a loaded team.

People say that the haters don't like him because he's the best and the best usually get hated on, but I don't agree with that being the reason at all in Lebron's situation. It's the fact that he seems to always want to be on a loaded team or he won't play for you.
    this.

i always said he would return to Cleveland though it happened sooner than expected. I figured he would at least stick around Miami a few more years. It shows he's the first guy off the anic since he's left two teams now that were still contenders. I never hated Lebron (not like Kobe) but there are y things about him I don't like.
    Funny how the Spurs were the feel good story for a brief moment than the media couldn't wait to jump back on the Lebron myth and prodigal son angle, but the truth is he once again wants to play GM and demand a loaded team. So I don't hate him for it but certainly don't respect it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find this quote in SB Nation interesting:

Many coaches in the NBA don't understand the concept of diminishing returns but it's one that Pop figured out long ago. The best way to develop a team full of good players is to treat them all like they are.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you blocks, but not steals as an indicator of good defense. I think you really need to watch the games and see how those stats are ac ulated because looking at a piece of paper with steal and block stats don't always tell the story of it being good defense.

Steals for example, a player can be an average defender and still rack up steals if they're constantly leaving their man to try and get a steal in the passing lane. Similar thing with blocks. The downside of both these types of defensive play is that you can get burned and your primary defensive assignment can get an easy bucket out of it if your gamble doesn't pay off.

For blocks, someone like Serge Ibaka is a good example. This guy gets a lot of blocks (especially weakside blocks), but he's not the best one on one defender in the NBA. You can still score on him if you're a good offensive player. He's on the extreme end of the scale though as his blocks and shot alterations can/do make a difference is games defensively. Kyle Anderson is nowhere near that level with a few steals and a couple of blocks.
    You can't get 3 steals in a game and not conclude that the player is doing something right. Maybe it's not obvious to you that despite his slow foots speed his 7'2" wingspan is creating lots of steals and is altering shots.

Anderson is more than adequate in defense already. He's going to improve over time as he gets more disciplined.

It's still pre-season, but if you see Pop play the rookie in the regular season, then he's good as gold.

This will prove once and for all that your ranting about his "poor defense" is due to your biases that ignores any real data. 3 steals, 1 block, 5 defensive rebounds is pretty good defense in any body's book. I think you need to go back to the game and show me some advanced stats that prove otherwise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't get 3 steals in a game and not conclude that the player is doing something right. Maybe it's not obvious to you that despite his slow foots speed his 7'2" wingspan is creating lots of steals and is altering shots.

Anderson is more than adequate in defense already. He's going to improve over time as he gets more disciplined.

It's still pre-season, but if you see Pop play the rookie in the regular season, then he's good as gold.

This will prove once and for all that your ranting about his "poor defense" is due to your biases that ignores any real data. 3 steals, 1 block, 5 defensive rebounds is pretty good defense in any body's book. I think you need to go back to the game and show me some advanced stats that prove otherwise.
    We'll have to wait and see how he performs defensively in the regular season against scorers that are going to attack him. If he can play average defense against NBA rotational players in the regular season, I'll be happy. If he can't, he won't get much court time IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daye has hit 8-18 three pointers in the preseason, good for 44%. If he can keep that up he can actually make use of that roster spot
    He did pretty well in this game against the Kings.

Of course, most of ST is silent about this. Too many detractors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did pretty well in this game against the Kings.

Of course, most of ST is silent about this. Too many detractors.
    We've been moaning for years about the lack of the fabled 'long 3' on the Spurs. Well, we finally have one. Daye is a long 3 who can shoot and rebound. His defense can improve, but he's also a shot blocker because of his length.

I think his problem has always been that his physical abilities always made things easy for him and he lacked the motivation. If he can get his mind right about what the Spurs concept of earning your minutes is all about, he may make the transition from a bench player to a good rotation player. Let's not expect too much and hope we are pleasantly surprised.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Leonard has solved the quest for a long 3. Could be longer, maybe, but he'll do.

If Daye rounds into a player, I'd be satisfied, impressed, and thrilled. Not saying he won't, just saying it's gravy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many useless years as a Spur.
    Bonner has not had many useless years as a Spur, you must be thinking of someone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner has not had many useless years as a Spur, you must be thinking of someone else.
    Agreed! Bonner has been fine when not asked to do too much. He is a threat from outside and spreads the floor. Remember OKC and the WCF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this.

i always said he would return to Cleveland though it happened sooner than expected. I figured he would at least stick around Miami a few more years. It shows he's the first guy off the anic since he's left two teams now that were still contenders. I never hated Lebron (not like Kobe) but there are y things about him I don't like.
    Funny how the Spurs were the feel good story for a brief moment than the media couldn't wait to jump back on the Lebron myth and prodigal son angle, but the truth is he once again wants to play GM and demand a loaded team. So I don't hate him for it but certainly don't respect it.
    Yep, me too. I know it's not much, but when you hear him speak to his teammates before the game and he says something like "on offense and defense fly around...follow my lead" I don't know exactly why, but the last part irks me for some reason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a pretty fun game, especially for a preseason game. Even though only a preseason game, surprised it's getting so little buzz. I am not entertained.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you sir, may I have another.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "...follow my lead" I don't know exactly why, but the last part irks me for some reason.
    It's a stupid thing to say to team mates. Basically he is telling Wade, Bosh and the others that they are followers. I would not be motivated by that.

Thread Information