My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm 38. My first real Spurs related memory was the Mychal Thompson trade to the Lakers. I had been to a couple games before that but I remember reading about the trade in the Light and thinking we were just giving the Lakers a player.

I used to have a lowered hoop in my backyard that I could dunk on when I was a kid. One day my Gramma was in the backyard with me and I was like, "check out my Spurs dunk" and I went hard at the rim and rim-checked it on purpose. I was expecting her to laugh but she got pissed and gave me a tongue lashing about making fun of my own team. Sometimes I wish my Gramma could have gotten on you people's asses on this board. The amount of Spurs bashing on here is ridiculous.

When we went from that Alvin Robertson-Greg Anderson team to TC, Maurice Cheeks, Sean Elliott and David Robinson in one year, it was too good to be true. I remember going to Josephine Street and riding the bus to the games that year. Of course Sean should have cut on the baseline against Portland, but Rocket Rod should have never thrown that pass. I watched that game on tape about a year ago, Rod had tried the same pass earlier in the same game and missed it that time too.

My high school years were the "Fast Breakin' Fiesta"/"We Want it Now" years. Lila rell - "I LOVE THE FAST BREAKS!" Fullcourt Pets, Taco Cabana commercials with Sean Elliott dressed as a mariachi, getting blasted by the water cannons against Golden State at the season opener. Not the best. We were like the pre-2011 Mavs during that time. We had a really good team with a great but soft player that had a ceiling of the 2nd or 3rd round. Like the Mavs, we felt like we deserved a le but we had NO IDEA what it would take to win one.

The Rodman trade was great, for the very first time we had cache. Madonna went to a playoff game in Salt Lake I think. When we traded Bill Curley to get Sean back I remember telling my family that we would win the le that year, that we didn't have any holes on the roster. Of course that was the year the Rockets debacle happened, Hakeem destroyed David, Rodman took his shoes off and wouldn't guard anyone, etc.

Almost everyone here knows all the stuff that happened after that, so I'll spare you the details, other to say that when they won in '99, we popped champagne bottles at my buddy's house and sprayed each other like WE had won the le lol. Drove downtown to cruise Commerce. What a great night.

Tonight I'm going to the AT&T Center to watch the Spurs raise their FIFTH banner, with a friend of 25 years who has lived and died with this team with me the whole way. Back in the day, I never thought we would win one! The culture that David started, Pop built upon and Tim/Tony/Manu cemented with this team is unbelievable. No matter what happens this season, San Antonio and the Spurs are playing with house money, a lot of house money. We are a long way from little fat kids rim-checking dunks in the backyards and laughing at the Spurs.

Thanks for letting me reminisce on the board for a minute. Now let's go get one more .

Go Spurs Go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Respect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real fans don't hate on their own players (except for the terrible Jeffs) and the real fans appreciate wins without turning them into moral losses. Period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome thoughts man! thanks for sharing!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The arena days.....cool flashback

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The arena days.....cool flashback
    I still have a ticket stub somewhere that is marked "OBSTRUCTED VIEW" lol. If you never went there that means a ing pole was directly between you and the court, so you had to look around the pole to see the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your grandma is a badass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have a ticket stub somewhere that is marked "OBSTRUCTED VIEW" lol. If you never went there that means a ing pole was directly between you and the court, so you had to look around the pole to see the game.

oh yah I remember those....a pole or a stair railing blocking your view I never cared as long as I was there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm 38 also and can relate to all those memories! House money indeed! And yes your grandma is a bad ass....

Thread Information