Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never thought I'd say this. I hated the Yankees when they were winning. I hated the way they outspent everyone. I hated the constant hype and the en lement of Yankee fans. I hated the now seemingly unhateable Derek Jeter.

But in hindsight, I miss consistently dominant teams like the Yankees. I felt a lot better when the World Series was won by a team at or near the top of the standings after a long season. The Yankees were always in the conversation about who the best team in the league was. From 1996-2012, they averaged 97 wins per season.

The Giants have now won 3 of the last 5 World Series, yet at no point in any of those seasons were they considered by most observers to be the best team in baseball. They certainly deserve credit for performing when it matters most (and that was an undeniably historic series for Bumgarner), but why even HAVE a 162 game season if you can win a little more than half of them and still play for the Championship?

I generally don't like the number of teams that make the Playoffs in the NBA or NFL either, but mediocre teams are usually eliminated pretty early on in the NBA thanks to 7-game series, and the NFL has so few games in the season that you could argue regular season record is not a great indicator of where a team truly ranks.

Baseball, on the other hand, continues to give us ho-hum champions. The worst example was when the 2006 Cardinals won the World Series after going 83-79, good for the 13th best record in the league. But I've usually been able to tolerate one-off flukes. (Unfortunately, they also won in 2011 after winning 90 games and boasting the 8th best record in the league.) And now the Giants, on the strength of 88 wins and the 9th best record in the league, have completed what will appear in the Baseball history books to be a dominant 5-year run. They are truly the most unmemorable, unremarkable dynasties in sports history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are mad that Royals and Cards and Giants win les

Dont be a hater

(and lol Nyquillball)

thank you
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseball
    yankees
    i hate them
    i miss them
    gots
    make up your mind

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giants pitching is just too dominant. Somewhere in there Hall of Fame manager Bochy gets credit for making ballsy (sometimes backfiring) decisions

IMO, this is how the Braves Pitching would be doing if they weren't right smack in the middle of the Steroid Era

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseball
    yankees
    i hate them
    i miss them
    gots
    make up your mind

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    the Yankees. Them winning is by no means preferable to the annoying-ass Red Sox, Giants, or Cardinals winning.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CN I know you miss the Sox

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    CN I know you miss the Sox

Tianna Ta is pretty foine for an Asian chick. The Sox, on the other hand, can feel free to enjoy the basement for 86 more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't miss them. I will enjoy watching them burn for many years to come

Thread Information