Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Good Can Kyle Anderson Be?

by George Middleton 1w ago

http://airalamo.com/2014/09/16/good-can-kyle-anderson/

Lets get one thing straight, Kyle Anderson will not be used the way most first round rookies are in their first season. Anderson’s role on the defending champs will be minuscule, if that. The 6”9 do it all point-forward has the potential to be a special player in a few years. The UCLA product was seen as a potential lottery pick, but somehow slipped to the 30th pick. When I was watching the draft and saw Anderson was still on the board with the draft already late in the first round, I felt the Spurs were going to take him and I was right.

Watching him since he arrived to Westwood as a freshman, I thought to myself what can’t Anderson do? The answer is simple, he can nearly do it all. Anderson might not pass the “eye test”, in terms of jumping “40” inches or running the floor like superstar Kevin Durant, but he is an old school player. What I mean by that, is he truly relies on his feel for the game and his skill set, not needing to jump over or run by anyone. Anderson is an elite passer with a high IQ and a terrific rebounder. As a shooter Anderson is improving, as he shot 48% from three as a sop re at UCLA, after shooting 21% as a freshman.

Anderson averaged 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 6.5 assists last year. While Anderson is certainly heavy footed and lacks the physical tools that many forwards in the NBA possess, he finds a way to make plays on defense. Anderson averaged 1.8 steals and 0.8 blocks, not bad for a person who isn’t labeled as an “athlete”.

What is Anderson’s ceiling as an NBA player?

If given opportunity I see him being similar to teammate Boris Diaw. The two players are remarkably similar in terms of skill. When I say Diaw I am talking about the Diaw that took the NBA by storm in Phoenix. Diaw was lighter on his feet, but their playing styles are identical. Diaw was a terrific passer that was able to play multiple positions with ease and certainly wasn’t a confident shooter until the latter stages of his career. Like Anderson, Diaw didn’t necessarily rely on being athlete, but being a skilled player. Anderson going 30th can end up paying off immensely, but it will take a few years before he produces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! Welcome back from the dead!

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! Welcome back from the dead!
    Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's always going to be a lot of atheletes in the NBA draft, but for some reason a majority of them never make it in the NBA.

With a team like the Spurs, it's just unacceptable for a player to not know what to do and where to be on both offense and defense.

Players like Anderson seem to have a high enough IQ that they probably aren't a liability on the court. The question though for Anderson is will he be efficient enough on the court to be able to stay on the court.

He's definitely not atheletic, but I don't think he's any less athletic than Bonner. I would say this though, he's probably as athletic as Tim Duncan.

You just never know how this will pan out, but for a #30 pick, it probably is worth the gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    faking your own death online
    threats of legal action
    no one believed you
    returning with some lame troll god shtick
    took you two weeks to come up with it
    flaky, awkward, attention hungry old man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes got good taste in cars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's too slow and will be a defensive liability. His shooting mechanics are awful as well. Not just bad, but awful. Going up against NBA compe ion is going to humble him. No longer will his height be such a huge advantage when seeing the floor and getting his shot off. He's a smart player and a good passer but I doubt he gets to see the floor much. It will take a while to see what the Spurs have in him and in the meantime he will be Pop's new whipping boy.

All that and his head his too big. That's his ceiling in year one.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's too slow and will be a defensive liability. His shooting mechanics are awful as well. Not just bad, but awful. Going up against NBA compe ion is going to humble him. No longer will his height be such a huge advantage when seeing the floor and getting his shot off. He's a smart player and a good passer but I doubt he gets to see the floor much. It will take a while to see what the Spurs have in him and in the meantime he will be Pop's new whipping boy.

All that and his head his too big. That's his ceiling in year one.
    Hm, interesting take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I see him playing more minutes with the Toros than with the spurs this season..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Daye?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson is already better than Diaw by at least one measure:

http://instagram.com/p/r5ZDXIjqAO/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's always going to be a lot of atheletes in the NBA draft, but for some reason a majority of them never make it in the NBA.

With a team like the Spurs, it's just unacceptable for a player to not know what to do and where to be on both offense and defense.

Players like Anderson seem to have a high enough IQ that they probably aren't a liability on the court. The question though for Anderson is will he be efficient enough on the court to be able to stay on the court.

He's definitely not atheletic, but I don't think he's any less athletic than Bonner. I would say this though, he's probably as athletic as Tim Duncan.

You just never know how this will pan out, but for a #30 pick, it probably is worth the gamble.
    Ironically Bonner has the same vert as Kawhi does (34 inches) he just never uses it because he's a spot up shooter.

I think he will primarily check SFs and some PFs. Thats probably the best way to hide him defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not identical to Diaw, who was effective without the ball in Phoenix. Anderson has to learn to contribute on the wings and post and without having it in his hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A scrub.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix Diaw? What is this mother er smoking? Phoenix Diaw was an athlete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't have the quickness to defend on the wings or the bulk to defend in the post. One of those things will have to change if he wants to make it in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson is already better than Diaw by at least one measure:

http://instagram.com/p/r5ZDXIjqAO/
    he made the steal, but man he is so weak...

He needs more leg muscles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fear he'll be a non-factor this season, maybe for a few years until he can build his body up. His lack of athleticism will really be exposed in the playoffs, just like Marco who looked like the least athletic guy on the court all for rounds and was a non factor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he gets some minutes while Mills is out.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notes on a practice: Kyle Anderson’s first day of school
    Posted on September 27, 2014 | By Dan McCarney

http://http://blog.mysanantonio.com/...day-of-school/

Spurs rookie Kyle Anderson, who should have one of the best seats in the house as the Spurs embark on their championship.

The Spurs were happy to pounce on Anderson, a multi-skilled forward from UCLA who has drawn comparisons to Boris Diaw, with the 30th pick after he was projected to go in the middle of the first round.

Given coach Gregg Popovich’s emphasis on keeping his players fresh, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Anderson get doses of minutes here and there. But, with 14 players back from last year’s squad, including the main nine-man rotation and 11 with at least four seasons of experience, a more sizable role will almost certainly have to wait.

Until then, Anderson said he’s ready to listen, watch and learn after participating in his first official practice with the senior roster.

“First day went really well, getting accustomed to a lot of things, learning new plays,” he said, citing Green as a particular influence. “It’s a whole different game from anything I’ve learned about basketball previously. I’m learning a lot of new things and getting accustomed.”

“(My teammates) have been very welcoming. They help me in every aspect you can think of, with being a good professional. Those guys have pitched in and helped me out. Being on the court with them, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing they want the best for me. That goes for the rest of the team.

“They always tell me they’re not used to having rookies. It’s new to them and it’s new to me. I’m sure it’s hard for any rookie to come to a championship team. It’s a new experience for everybody.”

Big opportunity: Popovich said Joseph, the Spurs’ third-team point guard last season, ran with the starters on Saturday with Parker still overseas. Even after Parker returns, Joseph will serve as his understudy until Patty Mills recovers from offseason shoulder surgery, roughly projected to be sometime in January.

“He’ll be Tony’s backup to start the season, so he’s got a real important role for us,” Popovich said. “He’s done well in that role in the past, so I look forward to him doing that again.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rich man's hybrid of Magic/Manu

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs: Where Does Kyle Anderson Fit As A Rookie?
    by Cody Daniel

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/09/28/san...on-fit-rookie/

If there were ever a franchise that has become notorious for molding practically any average role player into a crucial piece of basketball’s most well oiled winning machine, it’s Gregg Popovich and his San Antonio Spurs. Eventually, the same will be true for their first round pick from the 2014 draft, Kyle Anderson, but as of now, he doesn’t exactly have a solid NBA niche heading into his rookie season.

That said, where exactly does Anderson fit on a roster led by future Hall of Famers looking to repeat as NBA champions?

Although he’s listed as a shooting guard, it’s highly unlikely to say the least that Anderson will ever see any real minutes outside of closing duties. Anderson would have to fight for minutes over Danny Green, Manu Ginobili off the bench, Marco Belinelli and even Patrick Mills.

That’s four guys who have all established themselves as scoring threats and have proven their worth to Popovich. With so many other viable options for the Spurs, don’t expect Anderson to gain from experience on the wing as a shooter in 2014-15 unless it’s during cleanup minutes, but even then, he would fit better elsewhere on the court.

As for his original position at UCLA as a point guard, sometime down the road if he were to remain with the Spurs, minutes might become available.
    Unfortunately for Anderson, there’s also some congestion at point guard. It’s a given that Tony Parker is going to see his 28-30 minutes per game. Then you have to factor in the minutes split betweenMills and Cory Joseph, who both can come in and make plays off the bench.

As I mentioned, somewhere down the road, Anderson could eventually see worthwhile minutes as a backup point guard with his well-do ented ability to run the show as a floor genera
    l, but until he can prove he’s able to have the athleticism to survive as a professional, it’s unlikely Popovich will thrown him some unearned minutes with such a deep roster.

But there is a place for Anderson and his unorthodox play style in a role that will allow him to adapt to the NBA game with little pressure to perform right out of the gates
    .. Anderson adapted to the point forward role during his time at UCLA and flourished as a facilitator with 6.5 assists per game to compliment his 14.6 points per contest. At times, he was doing so by playing out of the high-post or off the ball.

Outside of Kawhi Leonard, the Spurs don’t exactly have a backup small forward who has etched his name into the metaphorical stone rotation.

This leaves a world of opportunity for Anderson to come in at a position that won’t expose his un-athletic nature as much as a point guard and shooting guard would offensively, although he will get eaten alive defensively by practically anybody with a decent offensive arsenal.

But as for what he can do, much like Boris Diaw flourishes on fluidity and smoothness, so will Anderson as he can come in and knock down some open threes and throw a few assists around in hopes of not allowing Popovich’s stare to get much meaner.

Anderson has the ability to attack the basket and score from the wing, in addition to shooting over smaller defenders. Where the problem occurs is with the size and skill of NBA forwards being much greater than anything Anderson has experienced. A majority of his looks in college will have a sealed door on them in the NBA.

For Anderson, this means he will have to accept a very minute roll entering the league and being with what he can do as a three-point shooter and solid facilitator.

But could you imagine the things Popovich will be able to do with Anderson long-term due to his overall well roundedness? Although he doesn’t excel at any one thing, Anderson is skilled in a large variety of ways that will surely be developed during his time under one of the greatest coaches in history. But for Anderson, it’s all about baby steps and that’s what his first season with a limited roll on the perimeter will be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs: Where Does Kyle Anderson Fit As A Rookie?
    by Cody Daniel

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/09/28/san...on-fit-rookie/

If there were ever a franchise that has become notorious for molding practically any average role player into a crucial piece of basketball’s most well oiled winning machine, it’s Gregg Popovich and his San Antonio Spurs. Eventually, the same will be true for their first round pick from the 2014 draft, Kyle Anderson, but as of now, he doesn’t exactly have a solid NBA niche heading into his rookie season.

That said, where exactly does Anderson fit on a roster led by future Hall of Famers looking to repeat as NBA champions?

Although he’s listed as a shooting guard, it’s highly unlikely to say the least that Anderson will ever see any real minutes outside of closing duties. Anderson would have to fight for minutes over Danny Green, Manu Ginobili off the bench, Marco Belinelli and even Patrick Mills.

That’s four guys who have all established themselves as scoring threats and have proven their worth to Popovich. With so many other viable options for the Spurs, don’t expect Anderson to gain from experience on the wing as a shooter in 2014-15 unless it’s during cleanup minutes, but even then, he would fit better elsewhere on the court.

As for his original position at UCLA as a point guard, sometime down the road if he were to remain with the Spurs, minutes might become available.
    Unfortunately for Anderson, there’s also some congestion at point guard. It’s a given that Tony Parker is going to see his 28-30 minutes per game. Then you have to factor in the minutes split betweenMills and Cory Joseph, who both can come in and make plays off the bench.

As I mentioned, somewhere down the road, Anderson could eventually see worthwhile minutes as a backup point guard with his well-do ented ability to run the show as a floor genera
    l, but until he can prove he’s able to have the athleticism to survive as a professional, it’s unlikely Popovich will thrown him some unearned minutes with such a deep roster.

But there is a place for Anderson and his unorthodox play style in a role that will allow him to adapt to the NBA game with little pressure to perform right out of the gates
    .. Anderson adapted to the point forward role during his time at UCLA and flourished as a facilitator with 6.5 assists per game to compliment his 14.6 points per contest. At times, he was doing so by playing out of the high-post or off the ball.

Outside of Kawhi Leonard, the Spurs don’t exactly have a backup small forward who has etched his name into the metaphorical stone rotation.

This leaves a world of opportunity for Anderson to come in at a position that won’t expose his un-athletic nature as much as a point guard and shooting guard would offensively, although he will get eaten alive defensively by practically anybody with a decent offensive arsenal.

But as for what he can do, much like Boris Diaw flourishes on fluidity and smoothness, so will Anderson as he can come in and knock down some open threes and throw a few assists around in hopes of not allowing Popovich’s stare to get much meaner.

Anderson has the ability to attack the basket and score from the wing, in addition to shooting over smaller defenders. Where the problem occurs is with the size and skill of NBA forwards being much greater than anything Anderson has experienced. A majority of his looks in college will have a sealed door on them in the NBA.

For Anderson, this means he will have to accept a very minute roll entering the league and being with what he can do as a three-point shooter and solid facilitator.

But could you imagine the things Popovich will be able to do with Anderson long-term due to his overall well roundedness? Although he doesn’t excel at any one thing, Anderson is skilled in a large variety of ways that will surely be developed during his time under one of the greatest coaches in history. But for Anderson, it’s all about baby steps and that’s what his first season with a limited roll on the perimeter will be.
    role not roll. Typo twice.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    role not roll. Typo twice.
    Role is a noun, and roll is a verb, usually. Reporters are not perfect.

Thread Information