Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i like TP... he has his enrique moments, but it also seems to go unnoticed when he gets his easy buckets a few times a game. he's also gotten good at drawing bull fouls this year

but man, i'm really not looking forward to seeing him 2-3 years from now when he's going to be getting paid 14/15 mil. hopefully the new cap es like its supposed to
    Zach Lowe mentioned that several GMs expect it to be around $70 million as early as this off season. That would be a $12 million bump in 2 years.

Spurs International Expert gilmor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually this is the best I have seen Parker played. There is no hero-ball. He is part of the system. He passed the ball until the open man is found. In the past, Parker used to go 1-on-1 and it disrupts the Spurs team ball format. The Spurs team ball is a rhythmic flow, it will get better and better once the players blend to each other peculiarity. Parker is playing exactly that. He no longer attacks the basket and passes out the ball, which is one-dimensional and adds on to his wear-and-tear. The fact that he is developing the 3-point is also part of the reason.

And to add on to what I have said, the defense Parker is playing right now is top-notch. The double-team on Lebron causes Lebron to lose the ball, the positioning/spacing on defense, how he reads Irwing is miles ahead of Cory.
    Last edited by gilmor; 11-20-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually this is the best I have seen Parker played. There is no hero-ball. He is part of the system. He passed the ball until the open man is found. In the past, Parker used to go 1-on-1 and it disrupts the Spurs team ball format. The Spurs team ball is a rhythmic flow, it will get better and better once the players blend to each other peculiarity. Parker is playing exactly that. He no longer attacks the basket and passes out the ball, which is one-dimensional and adds on to his wear-and-tear. The fact that he is developing the 3-point is also part of the reason.
    Nice to know the Spurs are paying $13 million for a spot-up three-point shooter.

And to add on to what I have said, the defense Parker is playing right now is top-notch. The double-team on Lebron causes Lebron to lose the ball, the positioning/spacing on defense, how he reads Irwing is miles ahead of Cory.
    You must have missed the Kings game when career scrub Darren Collison took a dump all over Tony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all honesty, with the emergence of Joseph as a decent option, should the Spurs explore a trade for Parker before the rest of the league realizes he's just an above average player now, tbh?..

They could probably get a nice 4th big and backup SF out of it..
    I dont think Enrique is worth that much

At best, we could get a bench cheerleader/ mopper type of player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man Parker doesn't even want to shoot...Just sad....
    Proof that the reads Spurstalk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last couple of years has been the most horrid defense TP has played in his career, IMO. Last season I thought it was coasting/tired legs, but looking at this season, it's difficult to come up with an excuse, tbh... the effort is there, but it's clear neither his speed or lateral movement are anywhere near what they used to be. Luckily he earned some respect from other players, and they don't go at him as much as Kyrie was going at Cojo last night. The other saving grace is that we can get away with hiding Tony and let Danny guard his guy on most matchups...

Spurs International Expert gilmor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are not watching the game I am watching, obviously. The defense Parker played on Irving was top-notch. Irving went off whenever Cory was on him.

That's no point bashing Parker getting paid too much or that he will be traded. Because it's not going to happen.

Tbh, I thought Manu played a rather poor game last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony's defense last night was quite good, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought it was poor. Pop had to put Danny on Kyrie at some point and hide Tony on Harris, it was getting ugly, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^revisionist history

parker played good defense on Irving, the fact green guarded him at times is to get different looks imo and to not get Irving figuring out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker's defense down the stretch was nice, prior to that it wasn't flash. This is a pretty common thing with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker had a net dfg% of -32 against the cavs ... So whether nba/stat is smoking grass which is possible or he had a very good defensive night

he is +0,7 on the season so far which is bad but -15 last three games progressing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the fact green guarded him at times is to get different looks imo and to not get Irving figuring out.
    sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker had a net dfg% of -32 against the cavs ... So whether nba/stat is smoking grass which is possible or he had a very good defensive night

he is +0,7 on the season so far which is bad but -15 last three games progressing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listen, we'll just disagree. Unfortunately, it's difficult to enter into any kind of long-winded argument in here without coming across (or being labeled) a hater.

I love Tony Parker (and all my Spurs), I appreciate his effort every night, nothing could be further from the truth. As I said earlier, I don't even think it's an effort issue, which would be a real problem.

It is what it is, Pop certainly seems to be aware of the issue, he apparently does have a plan B, and that's all you can ask for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nono.. u need to do up one of TIMVP's all time +/- spreadsheet where any player benefit any other player. You remember those analysis from TIMVP?

If you done up that sheet, you will see that Parker wasn't playing that badly after all. And you can hear what he says here..

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2014/...nymov-3439691/

He doesn't really care about stats.. it's all about the TEAM.

You know one day.. Parker might just own part of the Spurs.. He is that tightly tied up with the Spurs..

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last couple of years has been the most horrid defense TP has played in his career, IMO. Last season I thought it was coasting/tired legs, but looking at this season, it's difficult to come up with an excuse, tbh... the effort is there, but it's clear neither his speed or lateral movement are anywhere near what they used to be. Luckily he earned some respect from other players, and they don't go at him as much as Kyrie was going at Cojo last night. The other saving grace is that we can get away with hiding Tony and let Danny guard his guy on most matchups...
    You must be trolling lol

Parker held Curry in check and broke his 3PT a game streak... CP3 was guarded for 3 quarters by Parker and he ended up with 12 points lol... Dragic shot 4/10 against TP... Teague shot 2/8... Wroten was killing it the whole season and then shot 4/14 against Tony... Kyrie never torched Parker, he torched Joseph though, BAD.

Wanna talk bad defense? Manu on Casspi
    Last edited by TheGreatYacht; 11-21-2014 at 02:32 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nono.. u need to do up one of TIMVP's all time +/- spreadsheet where any player benefit any other player. You remember those analysis from TIMVP?

If you done up that sheet, you will see that Parker wasn't playing that badly after all. And you can hear what he says here..

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2014/...nymov-3439691/

He doesn't really care about stats.. it's all about the TEAM.

You know one day.. Parker might just own part of the Spurs.. He is that tightly tied up with the Spurs..
    I don't think Tony is playing "bad". Never said that. I merely pointed out that my impression is that he's having trouble staying in front of his man. It's not effort, he's fighting through screens, etc.

I have all the games recorded, I'll go back and check them out again. That has been my impression with him lately, but it could be wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You must be trolling lol

Parker held Curry in check and broke his 3PT a game streak... CP3 was guarded for 3 quarters by Parker and he ended up with 12 points lol... Dragic shot 4/10 against TP... Teague shot 2/8... Wroten was killing it the whole season and then shot 4/14 against Tony... Kyrie never torched Parker, he torched Joseph though, BAD.

Wanna talk bad defense? Manu on Casspi
    Manu isn't considered a star anymore. We're lucky to have him giving us great production at 37 years old. You kind of expect players like that to lose a step, lack some mobility, etc. It's like I can't fault Tim for the horrible pick and roll defense. At his age, you take what they can give you, and it's amazing they can still deliver an overall impressive game.

Unfortunately, Tony has been unable to reverse the trend from last season so far. It's obviously a small sample, so nothing to make a big fuzz about. Here's the on/off numbers for the big 3 this season so far:

Parker: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1/on-off/2015/
    Manu: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1/on-off/2015/
    Tim: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1/on-off/2015/

Now Brazil brings a good point too, which I think it's worth repeating. His last few games have been seen an improvement. Hopefully it's a turnaround point for him.

EDIT: BTW, don't want to derail this thread, but Gino has not been playing that great either so far, IMO.
    Last edited by ElNono; 11-21-2014 at 05:27 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony remains one of the most underrated stars in the league, even by Spurs fans. The team is not 100% and figuring it out. Looking forward to the TWolves game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony remains one of the most underrated stars in the league, even by Spurs fans. The team is not 100% and figuring it out. Looking forward to the TWolves game.
    What does rightfully pointing out Parker's below average Defense has anything to do with him being underrated?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the notion of Parker playing good defense this year. People keep saying this(only thinking of the GS game most likely) while ignoring all the scrub guards like Collison murdering him all year. Numbers don't lie:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does rightfully pointing out Parker's below average Defense has anything to do with him being underrated?
    It's not below average at all, not for a short point guard. People love to complain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't particularly think he's underrated... he's been an All Star for the past 3 years, IIRC, even when the West has better marketed PGs like CP3 or Westbrook...

This whole defense thing isn't a big deal right now, IMO. Small sample, coasting... there's a bit of everything there... but something to keep an eye on as the season goes along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn fans roasting tp at the stake this season

Thread Information