Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the biggest argument against having a team in the second largest media market is that some of the people there are Chargers fans, there is no argument against it.
    oh noes they blacked out the chargers game in LA because it wasn't sold out

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the biggest argument against having a team in the second largest media market is that some of the people there are Chargers fans, there is no argument against it.
    The Chargers are the least favorite of the three teams able to relocate in 2015, while the Rams are the most popular from what I have read.

No, the reports are that Los Angelinos are fans of all the teams and thus no relocated team would ever have a home field advantage there.

Plus Los Angeles NFL fans are transplants from other cities and like and seem to prefer being able to see their home teams on TV there since there hasn't been a home team in 20 years.

So I'm not quite sure what your point is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still faked your own death. Nothing will ever change that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess the latest shtick is 'old snitching hypocrite'.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs’ Holt says there is room for Raiders in San Antonio
    Nov 12, 2014, 3:35pm CST W. Scott Bailey

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni....html?page=all

Spurs Sports & Entertainment has built a portfolio of pro teams around its cornerstone franchise, the five-time NBA champion Spurs.

Spurs Chairman Peter Holt says the parent company may look to expand its stable of teams.

"We believe we are the premier sports and entertainment group in San Antonio," Holt told me. "So now we are trying to determine what other opportunities there might be for us. It's a growth business, and we are in a growing market and a great location."

Might Holt or SS&E look to get into the pro football business?

Holt met with Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis in July, when he discussed with local leaders the possibility of relocating the team to San Antonio. The Raiders, which rank next to last in attendance this season and have an expiring lease at the venerable O.co Coliseum, may seek greener pastures. Holt has not ruled out the possibility of some involvement with the Raiders should they land in the Alamo City.

"I did talk to Mark, and I did indicate to him that if they came, we would like to be part of that," said Holt about a potential ownership stake in the NFL team.

Some critics have warned that San Antonio can't handle multiple big league teams. Former mayor Henry Cisneros, among others, discount that notion. Cisneros was responsible for setting up Davis' July visit and was part of the San Antonio delegation that traveled to Oakland last week for a follow-up meeting with Raiders officials.

Could two big league teams co-exist in San Antonio?

"As a citizen of the city of San Antonio, I would love to have more sports teams," Holt said. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that (an NFL franchise) would be a direct compe or (for the Spurs). But long-term, one more pro sports team would be a very positive thing for this community. We would certainly be able to adapt."

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Chargers are the least favorite of the three teams able to relocate in 2015, while the Rams are the most popular from what I have read.

No, the reports are that Los Angelinos are fans of all the teams and thus no relocated team would ever have a home field advantage there.

Plus Los Angeles NFL fans are transplants from other cities and like and seem to prefer being able to see their home teams on TV there since there hasn't been a home team in 20 years.

My point is any team that moves to LA will have LA fans, you can get enough of them out of the huge LA market. Enough for two teams tbh.

Your argument is the perfect argument against moving a team to SA since people here are Cowboys or Texans fans or moved from a place that had a team of which they are still fans.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This site will shut down before a winner is declared.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still faked your own death. Nothing will ever change that.
    ...and got caught having a serious conversation with a parody twitter account.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think you realize just how big the LA market is compared to SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you realize just how big the LA market is compared to SA.
    It's almost as big as Honolulu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sig bet would be fine.
    Why not money if you are so confident ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because everyone saw you welsh on a $50 bet ?

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't post in the other thread, but here's hoping that the admitted long-shot of an opportunity for SA to land a team comes to fruition.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point is any team that moves to LA will have LA fans, you can get enough of them out of the huge LA market. Enough for two teams tbh. Your argument is the perfect argument against moving a team to SA since people here are Cowboys or Texans fans or moved from a place that had a team of which they are still fans.
    It's almost as big as Honolulu.
    You have your opinions, I have mine.

After all the research I've done on this topic since July, I think I trust my opinion over yours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have your opinions, I have mine.

After all the research I've done on this topic since July, I think I trust my opinion over yours.
    OK, what -- in your opinion -- makes Honolulu a more attractive NFL market than LA?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, what -- in your opinion -- makes Honolulu a more attractive NFL market than LA?
    I never said it was.

What makes you think it is?

L.A. is #2 in the nation right now and is tops on their list.

And then comes London, if they can figure a way to resolve all the logistical problems involved, which to date they have not.

Then is followed by Toronto, Hawaii, and Mexico City in no particular order, and to a lesser extent Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, and Oklahoma City also in no particular order, from all the reports I've been reading.

Most of these reports deal with the idea of NFL expansion rather than relocation except in the cases of L.A. and London by the way.

I can post some more articles about the mindset in Los Angeles like I did in the other thread, but it is all moot since the NFL seems intent on moving there first anyway, but if you think L.A. is a shoo in for fan and corporate support, I am afraid you would be sadly mistaken, there are lots of reports saying the contrary.

But if you want some posted I can easily do it, or just the links if you prefer, or you can go and look for yourself, the internet is saturated with them, just google "NFL in L.A".

And everyone and their mother's sons have opinions on it.

Maybe, just maybe this is why the Rams and Raiders moved out of there in the first place and no one has ever moved back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I lose track of these far future bets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said it was.

What makes you think it is?

L.A. is #2 in the nation right now and is tops on their list.

And then comes London, if they can figure a way to resolve all the logistical problems involved, which to date they have not.

Then is followed by Toronto, Hawaii, and Mexico City in no particular order, and to a lesser extent Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, and Oklahoma City also in no particular order, from all the reports I've been reading.

Most of these reports deal with the idea of NFL expansion rather than relocation except in the cases of L.A. and London by the way.

I can post some more articles about the mindset in Los Angeles like I did in the other thread, but it is all moot since the NFL seems intent on moving there first anyway, but if you think L.A. is a shoo in for fan and corporate support, I am afraid you would be sadly mistaken, there are lots of reports saying the contrary.

But if you want some posted I can easily do it, or just the links if you prefer, or you can go and look for yourself, the internet is saturated with them, just google "NFL in L.A".

And everyone and their mother's sons have opinions on it.

Maybe, just maybe this is why the Rams and Raiders moved out of there in the first place and no one has ever moved back.
    They moved out because they couldn't get a new stadium built.

So why is Honolulu such a coveted NFL market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because everyone saw you welsh on a $50 bet ?
    Let me know if you wanna make some NBA bets this year tbh.

Because I lose track of these far future bets
    Didn't stop you from offering a bet about Davis Webb 2-3 years down the line. Real convenient how you only wanna do a sig bet now.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Los Angeles is better off without NFL team
    By Joe Mathews5:45 p.m.Oct. 30, 2014

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/30/la-nfl-team/

Mayor Eric Garcetti says Los Angeles shouldn’t give taxpayer dollars to the National Football League. I disagree. L.A. would be wise to pay the NFL — to stay out.

Unfortunately, 20 years after the Raiders and Rams left town, the very bad idea of luring the NFL back is gaining momentum. Los Angeles just extended a downtown stadium deal agreement that was expiring. The NFL is surveying rich Angelenos to see if they’d buy season tickets. Garcetti himself says it’s “highly likely” a team will relocate here soon.

So there’s no time to waste in organizing an all-out blitz to stop the drive for a new team. The arguments against bringing the NFL are so strong and numerous that I can’t list them all in a short column, but here are a few:

An NFL team would add to our deep bench of dubious celebrities.

L.A. already has enough athletes and other celebrities to distract TV stations and newspapers from covering things that actually matter; we don’t need to add a team of rambunctious football players to our Kardashian culture. And then there are our sports team owners. After the damage Frank McCourt and Donald Sterling did to our civic fabric, why risk bringing another rich and crazy person to town?

An NFL team in L.A. would cannibalize existing businesses.

Studies show that adding a pro sports franchise doesn’t add to a city’s wealth. Instead, it redistributes existing dollars away from other entertainment options to the new franchise. Since the three candidates likely to relocate to L.A. are the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers or St. Louis Rams, we’d be taking teams away from our fellow Californians, or from pitiable Midwesterners who don’t enjoy L.A.’s wide range of cultural offerings.

A new team would be wasteful.

The NFL requires cities to build a new football stadium in order to get a team, but we have plenty of stadiums. Pasadena has spent nearly $200 million modernizing the Rose Bowl, USC is refurbishing the Coliseum, and baseball’s Dodgers and Angels play in stadiums fully capable of hosting NFL games. If you want to see what can go wrong with a brand-new stadium, check out the parking, traffic and fan violence problems at the 49ers’ Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara.

A new team might be bad for Los Angeles’ own football fans.

Just as ocean life often thrives around collapsed oil rigs, the absence of the NFL has allowed a delicate football ecology to flourish in the City of Angels. L.A. TV stations air the best pro games from across the country. And on Sundays, Angelenos with roots across the nation gather together to watch their hometown teams in local bars and restaurants. And if they absolutely must see the NFL in person, the Chargers are just a train ride away in San Diego.

Despite all this, many of our leaders insist that a city of our grandeur should have an NFL team, and that it won’t cost us anything. But the city’s current deal for a downtown stadium, while providing for private financing, uses public land and requires the city to sell some $300 million in bonds to build new convention space.

The NFL is shopping for a better deal than that in other Southern California cities. The league could offer other lures to draw big public subsidies — giving L.A. two teams instead of just one, or committing to hosting multiple Super Bowls here. Ask yourself: Do you trust the L.A. political and business leaders who just lined up behind a $1.6 billion tax giveaway to Hollywood to stick to a hard line against public support for a pro football team? Me neither.

With the NFL determined to come here, L.A’s best hope may be to offer incentives to stay away. When you think of all the costs of having a team — stadium costs now and in the future, additional traffic, the dollars that football would divert away from other entertainment options, and all the time and public attention wasted on the NFL drama — paying off the NFL becomes a bargain.

Together, the county and city should offer the league $100 million in exchange for a guarantee never to put a team here. And if the league turns it down? That, at the very least, would make the reality undeniable: The NFL wants to take L.A. for all it’s worth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey look, another opinion.

What about Honolulu?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Los Angeles is better off without NFL team
    By Joe Mathews5:45 p.m.Oct. 30, 2014
    I live in LA. Nobody here gives a damn whether we have an NFL team.

By contrast, the NFL actually does care.

The NFL awarded LA an expansion team a few years ago. The league wired it for LA but nobody in LA bothered to pay the fee to start the team.

That team is now called the Houston Texans.

Nobody in LA cares about getting an NFL team.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Passionate N.F.L. City, if in Absentia
    Los Angeles Has 32 Home Teams in the N.F.L., but None to Watch in Person
    By BILLY WITZNOV. 8, 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/sp...in-person.html

LOS ANGELES — When ...

This is the 20th season that the N.F.L. has not had a team based in Los Angeles
    , since the Rams left for St. Louis and the Raiders for Oakland. Although the league has developed as an entertainment behemoth, Los Angeles has in many ways followed along, evolving into the archetype of the postmodern N.F.L. city, where the matter of a home team or a stadium is largely irrelevant.

As personal seat licenses and more suites and club seating have made tickets less accessible, high-definition television, smartphones and a DirecTV package showing virtually every game have transformed the viewing experience. A generation of fans has grown up in Los Angeles knowing no other way to watch football.

Consider Kevin Katz, ...

Although many options for diversion remain, particularly on warm fall days, watching the N.F.L. on television remains a popular one. From Sept. 1 through last Sunday, 18 of the 20 most-viewed programs in the Los Angeles market were N.F.L. games, according to Nielsen Company ratings provided by the N.F.L. The Los Angeles viewership for NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” is in line with national averages; the Los Angeles ratings for CBS and Fox are about one-third below the national average on those networks.

But the television audience has not prompted substantive movement toward the N.F.L.'s return.
    Houston won a bidding war with several Los Angeles sites for an expansion team in 1999. Five years later, the N.F.L. staff laid considerable groundwork to choose from four Southern California sites — a refurbished Coliseum or Rose Bowl, or empty parcels in Anaheim and Carson — but the owners lost interest amid more pressing labor and television negotiations.

More recently, the two developers who built Staples Center have squared off with competing proposals — Anschutz Entertainment Group for a downtown stadium and Ed Roski for one in the City of Industry, 20 miles to the east — but they have shortcomings. The Anschutz proposal has insufficient land nearby for parking and development, and the Roski location is far from the moneyed Westside. Each is seeking an ownership stake.

Sites in Carson, Inglewood and Chavez Ravine, the Dodger Stadium site long coveted by the N.F.L., are other possibilities, as is the league’s role as a co-developer, perhaps bringing other assets to bear, such as relocating the NFL Network studio to downtown from Culver City.

Eric Grubman, the N.F.L. executive in charge of developing the market for the league, lauded the opportunities that Los Angeles’s entertainment, business and celebrity culture present and said the league’s return was a matter of when rather than if. But he added that nothing was imminent.

“I honestly don’t know if we’ll get a proposal this year,” Grubman said. “It’s not ripe until it’s ripe.”

Los Angeles political leaders, including Mayor Eric Garcetti, have been as lukewarm toward the latest proposals as the N.F.L. has been.

“What’s the upside of the mayor saying this is the most important thing?” said Tom LaBonge, a longtime city councilman. “People care about three things: traffic, cleanliness and public safety.”

LaBonge, an enthusiastic civic booster, is a rare political bird: an unabashed N.F.L. supporter. His love of the game goes back to Marshall High, where he played alongside the future Hall of Fame cornerback Mike Haynes and later coached Andy Reid, now the Kansas City Chiefs’ coach. But LaBonge knows that his voice is a lonely one.

“As I challenge the owners to get off the bench, I’d probably have to challenge my own colleagues,” LaBonge said. “A lot of them would probably say they’ve already been to this dance. Somebody’s got to be brave and say, ‘I really, really want this.' ”

Some officials are skeptical about the intentions of the N.F.L., which has scheduled regular-season games in Toronto and Mexico City and regularly in London, but not in Los Angeles. A proposal to play the 50th Super Bowl next season at the Coliseum, the site of the first one, or the Rose Bowl in Pasadena fizzled quickly.

But having Los Angeles as a stalking horse has been extremely valuable to N.F.L. owners in recent years. Politicians have committed $670 million in public funds to the Indianapolis Colts’ new stadium; $498 million to the Minnesota Vikings’ new home; $471 million to the Superdome, home of the New Orleans Saints, since Hurricane Katrina; $226 million in renovations to the Buffalo Bills’ stadium; and $43 million in upgrades for the Jacksonville Jaguars — all amid whispers that the teams might move to Los Angeles.

“It is entirely possible that the L.A. football market has been more valuable to the N.F.L. empty than if it had been occupied since 1995,”
    John Vrooman, a Vanderbilt University sports economist, wrote in an email, adding that the N.F.L. operated as an unregulated cartel. “It is standard operating procedure for the N.F.L. commissioner and other concerned owners to drop the not-so-veiled threat of relocation to L.A.”

Vrooman said the latest rumblings with the Rams, the Raiders and the San Diego Chargers — each able to opt out of their leases after this season and looking for a new stadium deal — are more of the same. Stan Kroenke, the Rams’ owner, bought land in Inglewood, where Al Davis once thought he had a deal for a stadium.

To many N.F.L. fans in Los Angeles, the greatest benefit of being in a vacant market is not being forced to watch bad teams every week. (That sound you hear is Jets and Giants fans nodding vigorously.) A caveat is that the Chargers, under the N.F.L.'s byzantine television rules, can lay claim to Los Angeles as a secondary market, meaning that their road games must be shown here and their home games can be blacked out.

But mostly this allows for instances like last weekend, when the two games with the broadest national appeal — Broncos at Patriots and Cardinals at Cowboys — were shown in Los Angeles.

“It’s easier for an L.A. fan to get attached to good story lines,”
    said Matthew Rodriguez, who was watching the game at the 5 Line Tavern because his girlfriend’s father is a Bengals fan. “For me, it’s a no-brainer.”

The audience at St. Felix is not so tangentially attached. The bar, with its retro décor, turns into a Browns haven on game days. One of its owners is John Arakaki, a musician from Cleveland who has lent a taste of home with a game-day menu that includes pirogi and the Johnny Football burger, a chili cheeseburger on a pretzel bread bun that is an ode to Johnny Manziel.

The crowd reaches about 200 most N.F.L. Sundays, which does not surprise Arakaki; tens of thousands of Ohio State graduates alone live in Southern California. On Thursday, many of the fans who had arrived straight from work seemed happy to see familiar faces, holding the hope that the Browns’ fortunes might be starting to turn.

“For me, ...

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    L.A. talk should be concern for Bolts fans
    By Nick Canepa6:52 p.m.Nov. 10, 2014

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...rgers-stadium/

The Battle for L.A. has begun. In earnest.

Los Angeles doesn’t deserve an NFL franchise — and after losing the two it once had (three if you include the AFL Chargers), it’s highly debatable it cares — but one appears to be coming, welcome or not.

Despite its immense population, L.A. is not a great sports town and physically has been NFL-deprived for 20 years.
    But it’s a corporate city, a money tree tinseled with Hollywood glitter, and The League under Commissioner Roger Goodell has had nothing but $$$ in its eyes, degeneration of its product be damned.

The Chargers’ new stadium issue ...

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information