Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they relocate to San Antonio, See Below:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/p...to-5654812.php

San Antonio Raiders?

SAN ANTONIO — Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis ...

San Antonio has often been used as a bargaining chip ...

Cisneros, who led the charge to build the Alamodome when he was mayor, has been described by sources as the architect of the meeting.

Davis and his associates ...

With some upgrades, the Alamodome could be ready for a 2015-16 NFL season, though it would be a temporary home at best. The city has set aside funds to add suites to the 21-year-old dome
    , now home to the University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners football team and the San Antonio Talons arena football team.

If the Raiders moved here, though, Davis is expected to seek a new stadium within a few years, after the team had proved itself in the Alamo City.[/B]

Davis told San Antonio civic and business leaders he isn't seeking a “Jerry Jones-type facility” and prefers “a small, intimate” stadium that he can place “a statue of his father in front of,” a source said.

But even if San Antonio ...

Any team desiring to relocate would need the blessing of 24 of the league's 32 owners. Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications, had little to say on a potential Raiders relocation.

“We don't have ...

Though San Antonio ranks 37th in the country's top television markets, the Raiders have a significant Hispanic fan base and Davis apparently believes his team would do well in South Texas.

It appears that his meeting here has been in the works for at least a couple months. A source ...

Though Holt is apparently interested in NFL in San Antonio, others ...
    Last edited by xmas1997; 11-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't there already a thread for this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess we needed another one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't there already a thread for this?
    Clean slate.

Nostalgia.

All those insults will seem like the first time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did you start another thread for this Glen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clean slate.

Nostalgia.

All those insults will seem like the first time.
    Apparently.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did you start another thread for this Glen?
    Because the other one was deleted due to so many ST Rules violations.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the other one was deleted due to so many ST Rules violations.
    Snitch.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    City officials term meeting with Raiders a success
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/p...ss-5884274.php

For a more in depth article about this, follow this other link above, otherwise the gist of it (damage control?) can be seen in the article below:

San Antonio officials say meeting with Raiders went well
    By Tom Orsborn and Josh Baugh Published 9:18 pm, Monday, November 10, 2014

http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/articl...rs-5884613.php

San Antonio officials said ...

“We just wanted to put San Antonio in the best light, and that’s what we did,” assistant city manager Ed Belmares said.

Shortly after Friday’s meeting between Davis and the San Antonio delegation, the Raiders’ owner termed the session “great.” He also was quick to add that his top priority remains keeping the franchise in the Bay Area. That goal probably will be fulfilled only if the team gets a new stadium.

[B]
    In the wake of the meeting, an Alameda County official poked fun at the Texans for traveling to California on what he suggested was a hopeless mission.

“If they are visiting Oakland for the secret to Everett and Jones BBQ sauce, awesome, but if they are here to woo the Raiders, they are wasting their time,” Alameda County Supervisor Scott Haggerty told the San Jose Mercury News. “Hope they visit Children’s Fairyland or the Oakland Zoo so their trip is not a total waste — because the Raiders are staying.”

Although none of the Alamo City contingent made it to those attractions, some did see the Broncos-Raiders game in Oakland on Sunday.
    Last edited by xmas1997; 11-16-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please let me start over so people won't know how much of an airhead I am

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like these updates though even in the main forums. Keep them coming.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you just repost an article from July as if it was still news?

That was the only connection between this NFL story and the spurs.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is an amusing article that smacks of truth in a very ironic way:

Is SA too eager in flirting with NFL?
    Updated: Tuesday, November 11 2014, 06:22 AM CST by Randy Beamer News 4 San Antonio

http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...fl-17413.shtml

SAN ANTONIO - I have a few questions for you, San Antonio and South Texas. Are we a little too - for lack of a better word - easy? Do you think we might be too eager in all of our flirting, hoping some nice NFL team will finally come along and put a ring on it?

I bring it up after a San Antonio delegation met with Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis last week in California. That's despite all the warnings that we should forget him, that he's just using us so that his city/spouse Oakland will pay him more attention and maybe build him a new stadium where they can live happily ever after.

Or maybe while he's flirting with us, he'll get some attention from his ex-city/spouse, Los Angeles and he'll move back in there. Who knows?

But in the meantime are we just a cheap plaything? I know this metaphor is a little weird, but in so many ways sports franchises are pretty much married to their cities.

They have honeymoons. They go through rocky times and disappoint each other.

Sometimes the teams feel taken for granted and stray. Or get kicked out. Some teams have been married to several different cities.

And to get one, San Antonio may just have to go out and steal some other city's team, or catch one on the rebound. So maybe we just need to go out and show them all we have and how willing we are.

I'm not being sexist here. The metaphor works if you think of San Antonio as a man or woman, gay or straight.

So I'm not being politically incorrect to say that whatever we are, San Antonio has been speed-dating with franchises for years and always willing to pay for it. And with the promise of a big dowry or maybe a new/newer stadium... someday. Not to mention tax breaks and great Mexican restaurants.

Now there's even talk that we could just live with the Raiders for a few years while they try to work things out with Oakland and they build a bigger stadium.

We've let the Vikings use us, when they were trying to get a better stadium. And it felt wrong when we were hitting on the Saints who were only staying with us - as friends - while their beloved New Orleans was recovering from Hurricane Katrina.

But we were so close!

Over the years, we've stoked rumors that the Rams or the Cardinals might enjoy our company. Way back in the '90's, we were thrilled to even have it whispered that the Browns or the Patriots might be willing to spend some time with us.

San Antonio has also played the cougar, having brief flings with semi-pro teams like the young Gunslingers and the Riders.

We told ourselves it was mainly for fun, but it was also to prove to ourselves and the world that we're attractive enough to get attention from major leaguers - like Jerry Jones!

That's even though his Dallas Cowboys just keep using us every few summers for training camp and then killing our dreams of getting our own team someday.

But in the end, I actually think this flirting/courtship kind of obsession San Antonio has with teams is a good thing.

Because eventually we may just get lucky and meet some nice stable team who will respect us for what we are. AND put a ring on it!

Because we're good enough! And smart enough! And doggone it, people like us!

But for now... stay insecure and easy, San Antonio!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what Mark Davis has to say on this subject. Someone should tweet him, tbh.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what Mark Davis has to say on this subject. Someone should tweet him, tbh.
    There are articles of his response, I'll find one just for you.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here you go manufan10, just for you :

Mark Davis says San Antonio meeting “went great”
    Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2014, 3:42 PM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-went-great/

San Antonio wants an NFL team. Or the Raiders.

Via Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com, Raiders owner Mark Davis said that a recent meeting with San Antonio officials “went great.”

“They let us know what assets San Antonio has to offer,” Davis said.

But he quickly added, "My prime focus is to keep the Raiders in the Bay area."

The most important asset could be ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The key to this article is in the le i.e. "Former Raiders Executive ..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The key to this article is in the le i.e. "Former Raiders Executive ..."
    Exactly. Someone without a stake in the process who can provide a frank and honest assessment of San Antonio's infinitesimal chances of landing the Raiders.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Someone without a stake in the process who can provide a frank and honest assessment of San Antonio's infinitesimal chances of landing the Raiders.
    If you think they are giving you a frank and honest assessment, you're wrong. Everyone has interests even if they don't look like it. You don't think he still has contacts or relationships with any current raider personnel?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think they are giving you a frank and honest assessment, you're wrong. Everyone has interests even if they don't look like it. You don't think he still has contacts or relationships with any current raider personnel?
    You should actually read the article.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should actually read the article.
    I read it previously. Didn't read it again today. Point still stands regardless of gender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read it previously. Didn't read it again today. Point still stands whether regardless of gender.
    Ok. I disagree.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok. I disagree.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May as well have asked the former Raiders coach his opinion for all it counts.

Everyone has an opinion, but they are only opinions.

Only Mark Davis' is the one that counts.

Thread Information