Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poll: Americans Broadly Back Obama’s Immigration Executive Action

The poll, which was conducted on behalf of the liberal 501(c)(4) “dark money” group Americans United for Change, described the president’s policy as follows:

The action would direct immigration enforcement officials to focus on threats to national security and public safety, and not on deporting otherwise law-abiding immigrants. Immigrants who are parents of children who are legal US residents could qualify to stay and work temporarily in the United States, without being deported, if they have lived in the United States for at least five years, pay taxes, and pass a criminal background check.

After hearing that description, voters overwhelmingly backed President Obama’s move: 67 percent viewed it favorably, while just 28 percent viewed it unfavorably.

The support was fairly bipartisan, with 91 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of Independents, and 41 percent of Republicans viewing the executive action favorably.

Among
    Tea Party Republicans, however, 64 percent opposed the policy while just 30 percent viewed it favorably.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/poll-ame...cutive-action/

and the Kock Bros' corporate subsidiary, aka tea baggers, aka marans!, is the racist, xenophobic, nativist, Confederate tail that wags Repug dog.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    More fake lies just like when they said 90% of Americans wanted more gun control and then every single gun control candidate got BTFO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has even ONE Repug politician / media moron made a suggestion how they would fix the situation?
    Barry even said, you don't like this, then pass a bill.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    yeah deport them? actually enforce immigration law? groundbreaking stuff i know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be great...I dare the GOP to pass an immigration bill that automatically deports 10's of millions of illegals....that would be priceless...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    what's wrong with it?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    10's of millions of illegals
    at least you admit they're lying here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apartheid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry if already posted

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Fox Propaganda said no amnesty was given.

you right-wingers are such duped dumb s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama making those Repugs twist and turn

'But but but he must be breaking some rules surely '

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently, this ruling won't really matter, but nevertheless it's the first shoe to drop...

Obama's immigration actions ruled uncons utional
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-...al-200043.html

The other two direct challenges are apparently making their ways through court...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when you have an issue this big, its very unlikely that it will be settled at the district level

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when you have an issue this big, its very unlikely that it will be settled at the district level
    yeah, plus it's a criminal case... as much as the court would like to weigh on it, the EO only deals with civil enforcement... plus, nobody challenged the cons utionality of the EO in the case.

Apparently, a hearing on the federal case is due next week, but ultimately, this will probably go all the way up to the SCOTUS, and by the time it gets there, Barry might not be prez anymore anyways.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's Repug judge, its right-wing political-hack opinion is typically wrong. the immigrant in question IS not even covered by Obama's Exec action, anyway.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, plus it's a criminal case... as much as the court would like to weigh on it, the EO only deals with civil enforcement... plus, nobody challenged the cons utionality of the EO in the case.

Apparently, a hearing on the federal case is due next week, but ultimately, this will probably go all the way up to the SCOTUS, and by the time it gets there, Barry might not be prez anymore anyways.
    If I'm not mistaken, the cons utional issue was introduced when the defendant attempted to claim protections afforded by the President's executive action.

Also, it is my understanding the President never issued an actual Executive Order but just a memorandum ordering deportation cease on 5 million people. It is his action (which he claimed in a public forum "changed the law") that is being declared uncons utional and that is being challenged in the courts by, now, 24 states.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm not mistaken, the cons utional issue was introduced when the defendant attempted to claim protections afforded by the President's executive action.
    The defendant made no such claim, the court requested filings on the matter unsolicited, as the order explains. Ultimately, you can't disassociate the fact that this is a criminal proceeding, whereas the executive guidelines apply only to administrative civil cases (a different venue), which is why this opinion carries no weight and won't stop the implementation of the new DHS directives.

Also, it is my understanding the President never issued an actual Executive Order but just a memorandum ordering deportation cease on 5 million people. It is his action (which he claimed in a public forum "changed the law") that is being declared uncons utional and that is being challenged in the courts by, now, 24 states.
    Some refer to it as Executive Action instead, but it boils down to the same thing, executing laws and the amount of leeway the president has in that realm. The two other federal lawsuits that attack this directly (one of which you mention) have much better standing challenging that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defendant made no such claim, the court requested filings on the matter unsolicited, as the order explains. Ultimately, you can't disassociate the fact that this is a criminal proceeding, whereas the executive guidelines apply only to administrative civil cases (a different venue), which is why this opinion carries no weight and won't stop the implementation of the new DHS directives.
    You're right, I was wrong.

Some refer to it as Executive Action instead, but it boils down to the same thing, executing laws and the amount of leeway the president has in that realm. The two other federal lawsuits that attack this directly (one of which you mention) have much better standing challenging that.
    No, there's a big difference between executive actions and executive orders; the biggest being that actions are an informal proposal by the executive that carry absolutely no legal authority while the order is an executive interpretation on existing law, published in the Federal Register, that, unless overturned by the courts or legislature, carries the weight of law.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, there's a big difference between executive actions and executive orders; the biggest being that actions are an informal proposal by the executive that carry absolutely no legal authority while the order is an executive interpretation on existing law, published in the Federal Register, that, unless overturned by the courts or legislature, carries the weight of law.
    They're both based on existing law. The president obviously can't create new law, that's why I said it boils down to the same thing: executing laws and the amount of leeway the president has in that realm.

Personally, I don't think interpreting law should be on the realm of the executive, that's what the judicial is for. Unfortunately, the unchecked expansion of executive power, largely abetted by Congress, it's been the norm for a few decades now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "don't think interpreting law should be on the realm of the executive"

when a"law" gets to the rule-making stage, lobbyists interpret the law, eg CFPB, etc, to their paymasters' profits.

Obama's EO doesn't change the law. He sets priorities, a triage, in applying the law: bad guys deported first, good guys get 3 years grace (unless they become bad guys).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're both based on existing law. The president obviously can't create new law, that's why I said it boils down to the same thing: executing laws and the amount of leeway the president has in that realm.

Personally, I don't think interpreting law should be on the realm of the executive, that's what the judicial is for. Unfortunately, the unchecked expansion of executive power, largely abetted by Congress, it's been the norm for a few decades now.
    Except the informality of the action allows the President to "freestyle" his decision whereas a published order kind of binds him to what he says in the order, unless he wants to issue another order.

I think it's an important distinction but, not one I think is worth quibbling over. Either way, he's headed to court in 24 states over his action. Telling that crowd he "...took action to change the law," probably won't help him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supreme Court says Arizona must issue driver's licenses to immigrants

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...215-story.html

Thread Information