Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what Buck is saying is that with the way Spurs is playing nowadays, it takes years to build up that kind of chemistry/execution. if we get an older player, the up-side of him fitting into Duncan's role is extremely difficult, because he may not necessary open to the adaptations and changes. If we get a younger player, chances is that we can more flexibly adapt and the up-side of him morphing into Spurs system is easier..
    I C Wut U Did

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is much like the Spurs had to transition from David to Tim - Then with with Tim, transitioning from defensive to offensive, the Spurs will have to adapt greatly (IMO) post-Duncan in order to compete. Just trying to sign guys like Gasol/LA to reload if Tim/Manu retire is probably faulty logic and not a great idea.

Would I be upset? No. Spurs would still be a very good playoff team in the West, but it would be a very short-term solution with very limited upside. Spurs should adapt, evolve and do what they have always done (build through the draft) as much as possible. But more than anything, be flexible and adapt to what suits them best.

This is uncharted territory. Spurs, while having FA money before, haven't really had to deal with the possiblity of not having a franchise anchor that makes them a contender if they made the right moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zero chance. Give me 1 good reason why Gasol would leave Memphis for SA?

When did I say they should sign him?
    The Spurs are a proven commodity. They've won in the past, made the finals recently, and won the big one this past year. Gasol's 10 years younger than Duncan so that leaves little to no drop off at that position bc he can produce at the level of a 38 year Duncan or better. What have the Grizzlies done to keep him? Show that they can get past a big team but not make it to the Finals. That's all that matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monroe would be a horrible fit and would not allow Kawhi the freedom on offense he has when playing with spacing and passing bigs. Pretty sure people that suggest him have watched very little of the Pistons in the past couple of years, apart from boxscores possibly.

Gasol would be better obviously, but the Spurs will not be contenders in the immediate years after Tim and Manu retire, so whatever.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smokescreen for the Aldridge signing, we dont sign guys that are reported on

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jimmy butler and kawhi on the same team would be sick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butler is too raw yet. High on him too but not sold yet either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm not interested in Greg Monroe given his expected price tag tbh
    Franchise bigs make a lot of money. Expecting a Tim duncan level contract from All star is naive.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anthony davis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way I can see Gasol leaving Memphis is if they hold on to the top spot of the WC, but the exit the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round ... chances are very slim though, Marc seems to be a one franchise player type like Nowitzki, Duncan and Wade ...

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even AD is not as good a fit as tim duncan is now. Even though there may be a gulf b/w him and the other bigs, he is even further (downward) from Tim.
    Do not talk about basketball with anyone ever again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would absolutely love getting Marc, and he's probably the best candidate out there to replace Tim once he retires...but I'm not getting my hopes up for a second. He's played in Memphis for his entire career and by all accounts he loves it there. While they might not be as good as the Spurs, they have established a winning culture there and they're a solid team. They can offer him the most money. I just don't see him leaving there.

Kawhiiii
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc and Tiago would make a nice combo. But they still won't be a real contender if Tim/Manu aren't on the team. TOSB Tony is only going to get worse with every passing year.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs sign a major free agent like AD or MG, it will be the first time, they never want to come here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do not talk about basketball with anyone ever again.
    his outlet passes aren't good enough.

do not want

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, this team needs a willing big man scorer..I like Gasol, but he's in his late twenties and he still plays like a 22-23 year old kawhi in terms of wanting to score.

By next year Parker would even be worse..kawhi will be better, but that leaves us with two great defensive players that have a tendency to not care much about scoring and a 33 year old PG as a second option.

Meh, I'd say...We already have a great defender in Splitter...Just find another scoring option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A more accurate le for the article in the OP would be:

Report: Guy on the internet guesses that the Spurs will be interested in Marc Gasol

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A more accurate le for the article in the OP would be:

Report: Guy on the internet guesses that the Spurs will be interested in Marc Gasol
    Pretty much. But it's at least plausible, unlike most articles you see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much. But it's at least plausible, unlike most articles you see.
    Plausible as conjecture, yes. The article, however, presents the Spurs interest as a fact.

We see this every summer with agents planting stories with lazy, but compliant, reporters. In this case, it appears the reporters are making the stuff up themselves and then citing those conjectures as 'reports'. As soon as enough outlets pick up the story, we'll get Broussard citing 'multiple sources' for his own 'report'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not coming here and I bet this thread still gets like 10+ pages

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plausible as conjecture, yes. The article, however, presents the Spurs interest as a fact.

We see this every summer with agents planting stories with lazy, but compliant, reporters. In this case, it appears the reporters are making the stuff up themselves and then citing those conjectures as 'reports'. As soon as enough outlets pick up the story, we'll get Broussard citing 'multiple sources' for his own 'report'.
    Tspence26 cited as primary source due to his unerring accuracy and mulitple GM contacts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not coming here and I bet this thread still gets like 10+ pages
    If TD retires this goes 200 pages

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the Spurs have the chance to draft him last 2011 and they chose Cory Joseph.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even AD is not as good a fit as tim duncan is now. Even though there may be a gulf b/w him and the other bigs, he is even further (downward) from Tim.
    Davis had 43/14 tonight. Still think he's not as good of a fit?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep Tim imvho

Thread Information