Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Regarding http://catalog.utsa.edu/undergraduat...criptions/ant/

Yes there are fossil records, but still, too many gaps and missing links. Not convinced.
    See above. Ditto for the age of the earth.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

A chicken embryo with a dinosaur-like snout instead of a beak has been developed by scientists

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150512-bird-grows-face-of-dinosaur

Developed?

Some chickens are born with teeth without any manipulation.
    They still retain a "teeth" gene even though it is rarely turned on.
    This is where Gould got the name for one of his books of essays, Hens Teeth and Horses Toes"
    Some horses are born with two toed hooves like the fossil little guys we find.

To me this stuff is so cool and very revealing.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    See above. Ditto for the age of the earth.
    So the poster you quoted believes that because there are gaps everything is specially created?

See, I don't get how people think species arise or change if they don't choose evolution because if they don't, they must fall back on created specially. And besides the fact that this is a magic explaination, we have so much evidence to suggest the unity and diversity of life it's just crazy to fall back on "poof there it is"

That just not suitable for subjects that have so much evidence.

Occasionally I have had things fall off a shelf in my house. So the obvious explanation is a ghost pushed instead of its center of gravity slowly shifted as its mass was redistributed slowly? , I have put bean bags on the shelf and watched this occur. So I conclude ghost did it every time?

Its isimply ludicrous.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    This photo is misleading and has many flaws.

First it's only in a small area for it to be actual layers of earth it would continue for miles it doesn't
    Its obvious its sediment rock layers from flooding.

Second there are no fossils of any living creatures between the layers.

If the layers were millions of years this tree could not survive long enough to be fossilized.

or this tree

Also the layers on the bottom when dated are only a few years older than the top layer when rock samples are sent to independent laboratories.

Using Rock layers to prove Evolution is a very weak and misguided way to date the earth, that is why the "Geologic Column" is a joke and is not used anymore by "real" Science years after it was exposed as a lie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Hey, mouse posted a YouTube he didn't watch.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The archaeoraptor fraud is well known, and national geographic retracted the story soon after.

In the face of new evidence, science has shown the flexibility to accept mistakes and move forward. There are plenty other viable dinosaur-bird transitional fossils

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    LOL.............. evolution is straight up gahbage.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

A chicken embryo with a dinosaur-like snout instead of a beak has been developed by scientists

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150512-bird-grows-face-of-dinosaur

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    archaeoraptor was bogus, archaeopteryx is legit

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This photo is misleading and has many flaws.

First it's only in a small area for it to be actual layers of earth it would continue for miles it doesn't

Second there are no fossils of any living creatures between the layers.

If the layers were millions of years this tree could not survive long enough to be fossilized.

or this tree

Also the layers on the bottom when dated are only a few years older than the top layer when rock samples are sent to independent laboratories.

Using Rock layers to prove Evolution is a very weak and misguided way to date the earth, that is why the "Geologic Column" is a joke and is not used anymore by "real" Science years after it was exposed as a lie.
    Old claim, long ago actively disproven.

Polystrate fossil trees show tree trunks passing through many layers and several meters of sediments. Obviously, the sediments must have been laid down suddenly, not at the gradual rates proposed by uniformitarian geology.
    Response:
    Sudden deposition is not a problem for uniformitarian geology. Single floods can deposit sediments up to several feet thick. Furthermore, trees buried in such sediments do not die and decay immediately; the trunks can remain there for years or even decades.
    Links:

MacRae, Andrew, 1994. "Polystrate" tree fossils. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/polystrate/trees.html

Birkeland, Bill, 2004, 27 Jan. Fossil soils (paleosols) at Joggins. http://www.evcforum.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000116.html#7

Matson, Dave E., 1994. How good are those young-earth arguments? http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovi...od-gc.html#G4a
    Further Reading:

Frey, Robert W., 1982. Sedimentology photo. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology 52(2): 614.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CC/CC331.html

Addressed here, as elsewhere.

Secondly, you claimed:

Second there are no fossils of any living creatures between the layers [of rock shown in your picture].

For you to make that claim, requires evidence.

I assume for you to claim there are no fossils in between the layers of rock in that picture, means you have extensively dug in that area, and have recorded the results of your work, yes?

Can I please see those records?

Lastly, I note that what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    But, since this is a thread about evidence, I will give some.

As previously noted the process of fossilization is fairly well-do ented.

Here is a good summary:

The heat and pressure from being buried in sediment can sometimes cause the tissues of organisms — including plant leaves and the soft body parts of fish, reptiles and marine invertebrates — to release hydrogen and oxygen, leaving behind a residue of carbon.

This process — which is called carbonization, or distillation — yields a detailed carbon impression of the dead organism in sedimentary rock.

The most common method of fossilization is called permineralization, or petrification. After an organism's soft tissues decay in sediment, the hard parts — particularly the bones — are left behind.

Water seeps into the remains, and minerals dissolved in the water seep into the spaces within the remains, where they form crystals. These crystallized minerals cause the remains to harden along with the encasing sedimentary rock.

In another fossilization process, called replacement, the minerals in groundwater replace the minerals that make up the bodily remains after the water completely dissolves the original hard parts of the organism.
    http://www.livescience.com/37781-how...orm-rocks.html

The heat and pressure come from simple compression. This draws on basic physics and chemistry. All things being equal, if you take a given amount of matter, and compress it, you get extra heat. Without this property, air conditioners would not function.

I will assume that mouse is not going to try to disprove air conditioning, although I wouldn't put it past "creation liberty university".

Such heat and pressure though, lead to a process called "permineralization"

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/paleo/fossils/permin.html

There are three subgroups of permineralizations: silicification, pyritization, and carbonate mineralizations.

As with almost all fossilization processes, silicification (because of its conditions for fossilization) tells us much about what type of environment the organism was likely to live in. Specific fossil types occur in environments with certain features. Silicification is a fossilization process whereby the organism is penetrated by minerals that form on the cells and cell structures. In this case, the mineral is silica, and because the mineral "follows" the internal structures of the organism during mineralization. This accounts for the amazing amount of detail found in permineralizations. For example, (for silicification) fluids in volcanic terrain often contain silica that could be absorbed by the plants themselves. This would indicate that a volcano was near the plant in the past. An interesting point that this example presents is that the plant was already beginning its fossilization process when it was still living. The silica that is taken up by the plants become embedded within them and when they die, the material (silica) is already present within them to quickly mineralize the organism and fossilize it. In this way, the silicification process can often show very fine detail.

Pyritization involves the mineral sulfur. Many of the plants are thus pyritized when they are in marine sediments since they often contain a large amount of sulfur. This could have been their natural habitat in the past or they could have been near enough to a marine environment to end up there to be pyritized (after being carried down by a river, flood, or some other method). Some plants are also pyritized when they are in a clay terrain, but to a lesser extent than in a marine environment.

Carbonate mineralizations occur both in marine and nonmarine environments. The most popular forms of carbonate mineralizations that are cited in biology are what are called "coal balls." Coal balls (which are often found in a round ball shape, which gives them their name) are often a fossilization of many different plants and their tissues. Often, they occur in the presence of seawater or acidic peat. Acetate peels can also usually be made to study the various organic material trapped within a coal ball. These peels may sometimes be fairly revealing of cellular detail.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hey, mouse posted a YouTube he didn't watch.
    NO WAY?!?!?

That's ok. This thread is about evidence for evolution. I will address his copy pasta accordingly. Youtubes will be pretty much ignored, other than offering a chance to offer more evidence in response.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL.............. evolution is straight up gahbage.
    What do you think evolution is?

Define "evolution".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People who don't understand things often dismiss them as being fraudulent.

What is true though, is not subjective. You cannot believe 2 plus 2 into being 5, just because you want to.

What do you think that video says? What evidence does it present, and why do you find it compelling?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

What is true though, is not subjective. You cannot believe 2 plus 2 into being 5,
    If one of the two is pregnant you will have your 5 remeber with enough time anything is possible.

your theory not mine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If one of the two is pregnant you will have your 5 remeber with enough time anything is possible.

your theory not mine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I think having gills would be cool.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Kevin Kosner may not agree with you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Keep this going. Thoughts?

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I don't plow with an Ox anymore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Evidence of man's evolution is everywhere. All you have to do is, oh never mind.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    IMHO, denying the facts of evolution is simply ridiculous.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I would be willing to bet Avante hasn't read any of the evidence, as Blake would attest.

Thread Information