Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From SAS perspective not enough value for a first round pick.

From PHI they don't do it, because it leaves them with potentially 5 guys (3, 16, 19, 23 and Saric) asking for 1st round contracts guaranteed contracts next year, out of a 15 man roster! Not to mention the young kids they already have! They don't have room.

I would suggest something the other way
    SAS's 2016 first (lottery protected) to PHI
    for
    2015 16th pick (MIA via PHI).

They get to delay a pick by a year, and hope we fall off (which could happen anytime if Duncan and Gino retire); we get a mid first pick in a deep draft, which we can hopefully pull a Kawhi with...
    Saric is apparently staying put. They only have 7 guaranteed deals next season for $28 million (only 42% of the projected cap for next season). That figure includes McGee's contract. Even if they were to hold on to all 4 picks, draft, and sign them, they would still have 4 roster spots open. They have been open to trading Embidd, maybe if they are high on another player in the top 10 they could package him with a pick and jump up.

They have the draft rights to 5 players (all taken last season in the draft).

From Phily's perspective:

-The Thunder are 50/50 on making the playoffs ahead of the Pelicans. The 76ers may not receive that Thunder pick this season.

- The 76ers would have 5 second picks for the second year in a row. Moving several of those 2nd rounders for a 1st rounder makes plenty of sense. Any time a team hordes picks, they tend to deal them to move up in a draft.

If they can move two or three second rounders for the 23rd pick, that's a good deal for a rebuilding team, who move most of its solid to good players for picks to be in a position of building through the draft. Having another stab at finding a starting caliber player or even a star is better than 3 ,top half, 2nd rounders where maybe one of them has potential for an NBA career (though, I think this draft is pretty deep so there is probably a higher success rate for 2nd rounders this year)

Having so many 1st rounders, they could package two of those 1st rounders for a higher pick. For example the Heat pick (assuming they miss the PS, making it the 11th pick) and the 19th pick for a higher lottery pick.

On the Spurs side, they could wind up stashing this pick anyway. If they use the pick that adds $1.1 million to the cap. It doesn't sound like much, but even if the cap jumps to $68.5 million and the Spurs dump Mills contract, renounce everyone except for Green and Leonard that would still put them just short of a max deal.

The Spurs may opt to stash that pick and the salary to pursue free agents and probably bring over LJC later in the off season.

An alternate version to my trade would be:

Moving the 23rd pick for the 35th, 37th and 44th pick, while holding on to the 46th pick. Maybe that's a possibility if OKC makes the PS (I'm pretty sure NOP will). That would give the Spurs 4 second rounders
    from 35-46.

or the 23rd for the 35th, 37th and the draft rights to Vasilije Micic, who people were high on a an international prospect last year. He's a 6'5 PG with terrific court vision and just turned 21 a couple of months ago.

Thats a pretty good idea. That would put the Spurs in the area of getting Frank Kaminsky or they could package the 23rd to trade up in the draft.

Spurs potentially getting the 15th pick for a future pick. We'd probably would have to decrease the protection for it to make sense for Philly. Maybe top 14 next season and top 12 the year after.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know about "surely get better offers". I'm not sure that many GM's around the league like what Hinkie is doing, and as you say, it's pretty obvious the 76'ers need to make some sort of a deal with all those picks. That's a recipe for a lot of not very strong offers IMO.
    Yeah, but no. The Spurs' first in 2016 doesn't have any value in relation to the 16th pick this year. The Sixers could easily trade for a similar pick with their seconds. I agree they need to consolidate, but they should do that by either drafting all those guys and moving them for assets later or by simply collecting their lower firsts and going after a mid-lottery selection/young player.

If the Sixers end up with 3 and let's say 8, then I could see them looking into moving into the bottom of the first in a deal like cd021 suggested. But if they're just looking to sell 16, they'll be able to get more than what you suggest. They can just stash someone with the pick if they don't want to pay that player. Also, Saric will probably stay overseas another year or even two, so I wouldn't count on him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From SAS perspective not enough value for a first round pick.

From PHI they don't do it, because it leaves them with potentially 5 guys (3, 16, 19, 23 and Saric) asking for 1st round contracts guaranteed contracts next year, out of a 15 man roster! Not to mention the young kids they already have! They don't have room.

I would suggest something the other way
    SAS's 2016 first (lottery protected) to PHI
    for
    2015 16th pick (MIA via PHI).

They get to delay a pick by a year, and hope we fall off (which could happen anytime if Duncan and Gino retire); we get a mid first pick in a deep draft, which we can hopefully pull a Kawhi with...
    Of course Philly would do that deal, 5 first rounders isn't a bad problem to have. They could easily package two or three of those later picks to move up a few spots like Chicago did last year for McDermott.

There's no way they do a pick swap for that Miami pick, we are likely to win another 50 games next year and with lottery protection they'd never get a better return than what that Miami pick is worth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the draft, the player I'm liking right now if we get in the low-mid 20s is Kevon Looney as a long PF who can shoot the 3 at a high level. The rest of the players I like at this spot have question marks.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Has all the physical tools, but only shoots the 3 at 21%. Can Chip improve him or is his shooting a lost cause?

Caris LeVert - Lottery talent, has great size, length, defensive potential and shooting as well as being a high character kid with good work ethic, but he's broken the same foot twice in a year. Feet can be a career ender, is he done before he got started?

Justin Anderson - Stats and measurements look a lot like Danny Green, a 6'6" shooting guard with near 6'11" wingspan who can light it up from 3 and is known for his defence. A 3&D player who is limited in other areas, is that enough to warrant a first round pick? Could we trade down and still get him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    R.HollisJefferson @RondaeHJ23
    Thank you to everyone that has been apart of my 2 years at Arizona.. #BearAllTheWayDown #NeverForget #APlayersProgram #FAMILY4EVER

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Has all the physical tools, but only shoots the 3 at 21%. Can Chip improve him or is his shooting a lost cause?
    no. The first R. Jefferson from Arizona did enough damage to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Declarations have started rolling in....

Myles Turner, F/C from UT
    Montrezl Harrell, F from Louiseville
    RJ Hunter, SG from Georgia St.
    Jarrell Martin, PF from LSU

All expected to go in the first round, with Turner likely in the lottery.
    Personally love the first two names there. I would add Lyles too, but he's probably going in the teens. Hunter is interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    List of Kentucky players going pro...

Karl-Anthony Towns, F/C, Top-3 pick
    Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Lottery pick
    Devin Booker, G/F, Lottery pick
    Trey Lyles, F, Lottery to Mid-First Round pick
    Dakari Johnson, C, Late First to Early Second Round pick
    Andrew Harrison, G, Late First to Early Second Round pick
    Aaron Harrison, SG, Second Round pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been impressed with Sam Dekker from Wisconsin.
    Reportedly entering the draft, which isn't a big surprise after his Tourney run...championship game aside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No question in my mind that George Lucas should be the pick. Dude has everything he needs to be a great combo-guard. He just needs to acclimatize to the NBA and US. Just draft him and send him (and LJC) down to Austin for the rest of Manu's career. Think he could become a Gobert-like steal in a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, submit threads for players you like. It's getting to be that time (well, it's a little past that time) where we start paying heavy attention to prospects. So don't be afraid to pimp your guy out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I will start with the draft and stash:

-George Lucas (Brazil) - PG - 6'5 - 195pds - 18yrs - Lots of potential but probably at least two years away to come to the NBA.

- Tomothe Luwawu (France) - SG - 6'7 - 205pds - 19ys - Again lots of potential can play the 2 and 3 and is a very good defender.

For players who can stash in the D-League and who might be called up.

- RJ Hunter - 6'5 SG - 21yrs - A Green type of player just not as good on defense
    - Christian Wood - 6'11 PF -19yrs- Has potential just needs to show up and work on strength and weight
    - Cliff Alexander - 6'9 PF/C - 254pds - Big dude who plays tough great rebounder a Big Dog with a Big Heart and has 7'3 wingspan
    Last edited by BackHome; 04-11-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hoop Summit game is today at 3 pm ET featuring George Lucas and a bunch of other prospects. I hope I can find a stream for that (WatchESPN unfortunately doesn't work outside of the US).

Invisible first half for Lucas. He made a three pointer early and didn't do anything else. He wasn't even handling the ball much as Ben Simmons was the main playmaker for the World team. I guess it's better if keeps flying under the radar.

First half boxscore:

Nothing in the second half outside of an airballed three. Just a wasted opportunity for Lucas.
    Last edited by jyra; 04-11-2015 at 04:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hoop Summit game is today at 3 pm ET featuring George Lucas and a bunch of other prospects. I hope I can find a stream for that (WatchESPN unfortunately doesn't work outside of the US).

Invisible first half for Lucas. He made a three pointer early and didn't do anything else. He wasn't even handling the ball much as Ben Simmons was the main playmaker for the World team. I guess it's better if keeps flying under the radar.

First half boxscore:

Nothing in the second half outside of an airballed three. Just a wasted opportunity for Lucas.
    Mahinmi and LJC ruled the NHS, and didn't really do much else to distinguish themselves going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you thoughts on "Thon Maker" the kid is 7'0 - wingspan 7-3' - standing reach - 9-3' 18 yrs old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hoops Rumors @HoopsRumors
    D’Angelo Russell To Declare For Draft wp.me/p49ISN-6Kb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I will start with the draft and stash:

-George Lucas (Brazil) - PG - 6'5 - 195pds - 18yrs - Lots of potential but probably at least two years away to come to the NBA.

- Tomothe Luwawu (France) - SG - 6'7 - 205pds - 19ys - Again lots of potential can play the 2 and 3 and is a very good defender.

For players who can stash in the D-League and who might be called up.

- RJ Hunter - 6'5 SG - 21yrs - A Green type of player just not as good on defense
    - Christian Wood - 6'11 PF -19yrs- Has potential just needs to show up and work on strength and weight
    - Cliff Alexander - 6'9 PF/C - 254pds - Big dude who plays tough great rebounder a Big Dog with a Big Heart and has 7'3 wingspan
    Yes to any of these guys. As late first rounders they'd be good value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mahinmi and LJC ruled the NHS, and didn't really do much else to distinguish themselves going forward.
    Dangubic was also the MVP of the adidas EuroCamp, so we know the Spurs place a lot of stock on events like these.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dangubic was also the MVP of the adidas EuroCamp, so we know the Spurs place a lot of stock on events like these.
    I wonder if he dogged it in the workouts because he already has a promise from someone. I could see the Spurs telling him to put up a bad showing, because with his measureables, there's no way he'd fall to the bottom of the first if he put up a good NHS.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure who I will really want when draft time comes, but this is a list of my early interests. I know they are everywhere across the board at the moment (ie. Gary Payton II is projected undrafted in 2016).

George Lucas - 6'6" PG w/ 7' wingspan
    Gary Payton II - 6'3" PG - late bloomer... great defense but needs to work on his shot
    Cameron Payne - 6'3" PG, plays the Pick n' roll great but has a hard time defending it.
    Kevin Looney - 6'9" PF w/ 7'1" wingspan
    Chris McCullough - 6'9" PF w/ 7'3" wingspan
    Moussa Diagne - 6'11" C w/ 7'4" wingspan - great rebounder / defense... terrific speed, very active

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Justin Anderson, one of the favorite targets of many ST draft hawks, is reportedly declaring for the draft. He profiles as a 3&D role player in the league...a good complimentary piece that should be available in the late first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you thoughts on "Thon Maker" the kid is 7'0 - wingspan 7-3' - standing reach - 9-3' 18 yrs old?
    Think he will be eligible for the '16 draft. From that mixtape i saw, he has the skills of a guard. Probably a top 10 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Justin Anderson, one of the favorite targets of many ST draft hawks, is reportedly declaring for the draft. He profiles as a 3&D role player in the league...a good complimentary piece that should be available in the late first.
    That would be a good pick. Athletic and pretty long, very good defender. Watched him play this past season, looked good. He seems like he will be an early 2nd rounder. Was projected to go in the early 20's but injuries made him miss like a month of the season.

Green, Kawhi, K. Anderson, & J. Anderson. Thats a big wing rotation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyus Jones, PG of the national champions, declared for the draft today. He's probably a late first round pick because of his lack of elite size or athleticism...but the kid is a gamer that came up big in the biggest game of his career. Interesting sleeper pick for the Spurs IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyus Jones, PG of the national champions, declared for the draft today. He's probably a late first round pick because of his lack of elite size or athleticism...but the kid is a gamer that came up big in the biggest game of his career. Interesting sleeper pick for the Spurs IMO.
    i feel the same way about him. if the spurs would rather trade Joseph than pay him, Jones would be a nice pick.

Thread Information