Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs need to draft a big. Big rotation of the future: Timmy gets a lot of rest, if he doesn't retire. Tiago is often injured. Baynes is better than Ayers... but i don't think either is young or talented enough to even fill the void of a Tiago injury, forget the void of Timmy's retirement. If the Spurs don't draft a big, their head is even farther up their Ayers than i thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can't move up enough to draft Kaminsky. i think they should go with a young foreigner. One with the big hands, wide wingspan, and deep/post season clutch performance on the resume.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Agree on Kaminsky. On top of that I think Olynyk 2.0 is going to go higher than he probably should.

Silver lining about being the 6 seed is that we're picking at 22 this year (as opposed to 28). I like Justin Anderson there as a Danny Green leaving/Manu retirement insurance plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Agree on Kaminsky. On top of that I think Olynyk 2.0 is going to go higher than he probably should.

Silver lining about being the 6 seed is that we're picking at 22 this year (as opposed to 28). I like Justin Anderson there as a Danny Green leaving/Manu retirement insurance plan.
    We well be picking 25 or 26...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We well be picking 25 or 26...
    They lost the tie-breaker with Memphis and will officially be picking #26.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well drafting at 26 I would go towards taking someone with a lot of upside so my picks would go to:

- Tomothe Luwawu (France) - SG - 6'7 - 205pds - 19ys - Again lots of potential can play the 2 and 3 and is a very good defender.
    - Christian Wood - 6'11 PF -19yrs- Has potential just needs to show up and work on strength and weight a shot blocker "yeah"

Would like to trade up with Philly they have like 5 second round pick:

-Cedi Osman - 6'8 SG -Turkey - Great size can play 2 and 3 has good handles and a good baller
    -Amida Brimah - 7'0 - C - UConn - Great motor and lots of potential watched vids not that far off -One to watch..Shot Blocker "Yeah"
    - J.P. Tokoto - 6'5 - SF - Love watching this kid get to he rim and dunk...Call me Old School but I Like..
    -

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They lost the tie-breaker with Memphis and will officially be picking #26.
    Thanks for clarifying. Seems wrong that Portland gets to double dip the chip by not only getting the higher seed due to winning the division AND the better pick by having a tier record. I know it's only a matter of a few picks in the 20s, but still...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of me thinks Green will be gone next year. And even though you can't easily replace him, I think the Spurs will go for a more ready prospect. Guys like Anderson and Hunter would seem to be surer bets than Luwawu or Wood. I trust the Spurs with either approach, but my gut tells me they'll shy away from the draft-n-stash route this year.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there are a few elements that are included in Spurs draft analysis
    Stats- Basically always draft a guy who stats love in the 1st.
    Length - For me, this is from the 2011 draft after Memphis - RC talked about positional size, in being big by position after the 2011 draft. Kawhi is huge, LJC, Bertans are long, Anderson really long.
    Some care about all star events - I think this is meant to be capturing how well guys do fitting into new situations (Proxy for IQ? Not sure how much they actually tell us)

Guys around 26 (depending on the mock) who have done well in stat projections and have decent size/length.
    Peltons (Chad Ford Big Board 8.2 rank, DX top 100 rank)
    Delon Wright (27, 29)
    RJ Hunter (19, 27)
    Christian Wood (28, 26)
    Michael Frazier (65, 58) might be a little short. Good round 2 target.

If you look at Layne Vashro's stuff (http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/layne...jection-tools/ ), Kevin Looney becomes a semi decent option, though that's only because DX has Looney at 20, rather than ~top 10. I think 10 is more likely.

There's normally a few more guys who fit into those categories, but the number who fit will probably fall over time, as teams get smarter.

If none of those guys are available, I'd trust the Spurs scouting on Lucas or someone similar. We don't have great numbers of Euro guys, mostly as a result of smaller samples, so there is a lot more uncertainty around whether the guys who look bad by numbers will end up good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of me thinks Green will be gone next year. And even though you can't easily replace him, I think the Spurs will go for a more ready prospect. Guys like Anderson and Hunter would seem to be surer bets than Luwawu or Wood. I trust the Spurs with either approach, but my gut tells me they'll shy away from the draft-n-stash route this year.
    Yeah my gut is telling me the same..lol.....I keep thinking he is going to go back to Cleveland to play with his bud Lebron. As far as Anderson and Hunter those two are safe picks I wouldn't be upset if they were drafted.

I still though want to move up in the second and get Cedi Osmon or Amida Brimah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I doubt that many slots will be open. Would be a good year for draft-n-stash...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man we have so many players we need to sign this summer it's crazy which makes it even tougher to figure out who might get drafted.

SG - Manu, Green, Marco
    PF - Timmy
    C - Banger - I would sign who can we get that is better?
    PG - CoJo - I would sign if it is the right price

For Sure Gone:
    1. Bonner takes a desk in organization ..
    2. Errors - Sorry but no upside at all
    Last edited by BackHome; 04-19-2015 at 03:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man we have so many players we need to sign this summer it's crazy which makes it even tougher to figure out who might get drafted.

SG - Manu, Green, Marco
    PF - Timmy
    C - Banger - I would sign who can we get that is better?
    PG - CoJo - I would sign if it is the right price

For Sure Gone:
    1. Bonner takes a desk in organization ..
    2. Errors - Sorry but no upside at all
    I dunno why so many folks think Bonner's gone for sure. Especially if the rest of the band returns, he's likely to stay around. Williams on the other hand is a for sure goner, at least in the sense that he doesn't project to have a spot now and wouldn't prevent anyone from coming over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that many slots will be open. Would be a good year for draft-n-stash...
    Impending free agents on the Spurs and their chances of returning...

Ayers - He Gone
    Reggie - He Gone
    Baynes - Even
    Duncan - Even
    CoJo - Less than Even
    Ginobili - Less than Even
    Green - Less than Even

You also have to look at the landscape of Spurs prospects in the pipeline. The ones with a legit long-term potential are either injured or are still developing after being slowed by one. Point is, there should be plenty of opportunity if the Spurs draft a more developed domestic player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Chinook I forgot about Williams who I have no idea why he was signed? Good point Blue all of the Spurs projects well are still projects. I don't see anyone coming in and making any type of impact on the team next year.
    Your right as far as plug in players would be Hunter and Anderson a question do you see Anderson being able to be on the floor with Kawhi at the same time or do you see him just being his backup? The more video I watch of Anderson the more I like him he seem to be Spurs type of player at ude and work ethic etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy that's probably "buy low" because of injury concerns is Caris LaVert, G/F out of Michigan. He combines a silky smooth jumper with good athleticism and feel for the game. Could be a good opion if the docs clear him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still get flashbacks from the kid from OK what was his name...Anderson? I would not touch him with him breaking the same foot twice I just don't see him having a NBA career with that type of injury on the same foot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ayers - He Gone
    Reggie - He Gone
    Baynes - Even
    Duncan - Even
    CoJo - Less than Even
    Green - Less than Even

You also have to look at the landscape of Spurs prospects in the pipeline. The ones with a legit long-term potential are either injured or are still developing after being slowed by one. Point is, there should be plenty of opportunity if the Spurs draft a more developed domestic player.
    I have no idea why you think Green AND Manu are less than even. I could see you saying that the Spurs would only keep one, but there's no way the team loses both. If Manu retires, the Spurs will back up the truck for Danny. The only way he's not in SA next year (provided he wants to return) is if the Spurs feel they can moneyball his starting role and know Manu is there for the bench. Without Manu, the starting SG will play 32-36 minutes, and Danny is worth whatever he gets on the market if he can get those minutes.

Seriously, people are wondering if the Spurs would be willing to offer Green a contract that will be less than 1/10 of the cap by the time it expires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea why you think Green AND Manu are less than even. I could see you saying that the Spurs would only keep one, but there's no way the team loses both. If Manu retires, the Spurs will back up the truck for Danny. The only way he's not in SA next year (provided he wants to return) is if the Spurs feel they can moneyball his starting role and know Manu is there for the bench. Without Manu, the starting SG will play 32-36 minutes, and Danny is worth whatever he gets on the market if he can get those minutes.

Seriously, people are wondering if the Spurs would be willing to offer Green a contract that will be less than 1/10 of the cap by the time it expires.
    The odds weren't mutually exclusive, but I actually don't see the correlation between the Manu and Danny decisions...different roles entirely. I just think Green is in for a BIG payday and am not sure I see the Spurs forking over the cash needed to keep him if they have to address other holes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BTW, I wasn't trying to turn this into a Spurs free agency thread...just refuting the argument that the Spurs should go draft-and-stash b/c roster spots will be hard to come by. I just don't see it. Whether a different mystic draftee would see much of the court in year one is another matter, but I think the slot and opportunity should be there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ayers - He Gone
    Reggie - He Gone
    Baynes - Even
    Duncan - Even
    CoJo - Less than Even
    Green - Less than Even

Here's where I think we are at...
    Ayers... Gone.
    Reggie... Gone
    Baynes... We want him back. We need his minutes and he's finally getting the system down.
    Duncan... Back for 2 more years
    Cojo... We need the depth he provides and to give TP rest. His contract, like any others signed for next year will be a bargain in 2 years.
    Manu... Up to him. If he has a good playoff, he's stated he could do 1 more. We will soon see.
    Green... Of course we re-sign him.
    Bonner... With Bertans injury, we need the Red Rocket one more year.. or so Pop will think...

So I see only 2 highly probable open slots, and LJC is slated for one of those. I don't think we plug up the last slot with a guaranteed contract for a rookie. We stash in that case, unless we work a deal to move up in the draft, but that would probably also move a player as well, ala George Hill.

Also, I see Beli as Even on returning. We could look for a FA upgrade at his position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...reakdown-4920/

i haven't seen the scouting video yet. But i think i'm already ready to hitch my "wagon" to a "trade up for Kaminsky horse." This guy would be an old rookie, that has to do something for Pop. He has his team surprising people in the tourney consistently. The spurs need to replace Bonner. Let's get a floor spacing big man that could pickle Deandre Jordan/Ibaka types like a real Dirk 2.0.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Towns has some talent, put him in on that Minny roster. It sure would be nice for my favorite western team to have the guy who got the best of Towns, that one year in college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, ESPN's Chad Ford updated his first round Mock Draft...had the Spurs taking Justin Anderson. Here's the blurb on the pick, even though the rest of the article is behind the pay wall.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/mockdraft?s...15&src=desktop

The Spurs are facing a pretty huge fork in the road this summer, when most of the team hits free agency. Some, such as Tim Duncan and even Manu Ginobili, could end up retiring. Others, such as Danny Green, might be too expensive to re-sign. Anderson seems to be a great get here -- especially if those elite 3-point shooting numbers he put up all season aren't a fluke. He has NBA athleticism and strength; if he can become a "3 and D" guy in the NBA, he has a lot of value.
    Take it with a grain of salt at this point, but Ford is one of the few that accounts for need or fit this early in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, ESPN's Chad Ford updated his first round Mock Draft...had the Spurs taking Justin Anderson. Here's the blurb on the pick, even though the rest of the article is behind the pay wall.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/mockdraft?s...15&src=desktop

Take it with a grain of salt at this point, but Ford is one of the few that accounts for need or fit this early in the process.
    Thanks. Would appreciate it if you could do this as well for subsequent Ford Mock Drafts.

Thread Information