Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Justin Anderson is my pick. Love his game and believe he could flourish with the Spurs.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the last time the Spurs picked a J Anderson it went really well for them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the last time the Spurs picked a J Anderson it went really well for them
    He was playing legit ball for the Spurs prior to his foot injuries. It really stunted his career. Not that it has any correlation with this J. Anderson, but I think the kid gets a pretty unfairly bad rap. Keep in mind, he was drafted at #22...not like he was a "franchise" guy that busted hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mentioned early about possible trades involving our pick. Minny has two early second rounders and Flip mentioned that they could move either or both (maybe for a higher pick)

Two possible scenarios:

-Spurs trade the 26th pick for the 31st and 36th pick.

The Wolves move up 5 spots, adding a second 1st round pick. They have plenty of young prospects. Minnesota maybe willing to move both picks to draft a player in the mid twenties as opposed to two adding two more young player to their roster.

The Spurs- Turn their pick into 2 high second rounders in addition to their 52nd pick. Players such as George Lucas, Justin Anderson, or Cliff Alexander could fall to them in the second round (some sites have them as late 1sts or early second rounders). They could stash one of them and sign the other to a favorable deal (like the Dejuan Blair deal).

or

26th pick + Patty Mills for the 31st and 36th pick.

If the Spurs are planning to a offer max contract, moving Mills need have to happen. The Spurs would have to renounce everyone except KL & Green but could resign Cojo using the room exception (if I'm not mistaken) that would give them around $19.2 million to offer L.A or Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's where I think we are at...
    Ayers... Gone.
    Reggie... Gone
    Baynes... We want him back. We need his minutes and he's finally getting the system down.
    Duncan... Back for 2 more years
    Cojo... We need the depth he provides and to give TP rest. His contract, like any others signed for next year will be a bargain in 2 years.
    Manu... Up to him. If he has a good playoff, he's stated he could do 1 more. We will soon see.
    Green... Of course we re-sign him.
    Bonner... With Bertans injury, we need the Red Rocket one more year.. or so Pop will think...

So I see only 2 highly probable open slots, and LJC is slated for one of those. I don't think we plug up the last slot with a guaranteed contract for a rookie. We stash in that case, unless we work a deal to move up in the draft, but that would probably also move a player as well, ala George Hill.

Also, I see Beli as Even on returning. We could look for a FA upgrade at his position.
    If Duncan comes back then yes to Baynes and Cojo. If not I think the Spurs will renounce everyone except for KL & DG. Not so sure about Beli. He doesn't have bird rights so we would either need to use cap space, room exception or the M.L.E or the Bi if we go over the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TUCSON, Ariz. -- Saying it was the toughest decision of his life, Arizona freshman Stanley Johnson said he is ready for what's ahead, declaring for the NBA Draft on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...ort_code=2v4zg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TUCSON, Ariz. -- Saying it was the toughest decision of his life, Arizona freshman Stanley Johnson said he is ready for what's ahead, declaring for the NBA Draft on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...ort_code=2v4zg
    Kid is a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think Mills is valuable enough to package with our pick to move up in the draft? I'm not sure who would be interested, maybe Dallas at 21? Is he valuable enough to give us a real jump like Jazz at 12? Would Lakers, Celtics or Brooklyn give up their late first (27-29 respectively) for just him?

Edit: I also wonder if we could get the Rockets #18 (from Pelicans) for him straight up. He fits their team perfectly and would be great situationally in tandem with Beverley for offense/defense. It might be such a good fit that I might not do it, Mills would really improve the Rockets.

It's a risk but I feel as if he will be the one to lose out if we go looking for free agents, do we gamble and get a pick for him while we can and trade up? Or would he be worth a future first in the summer regardless?
    Last edited by Richie; 04-25-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think Mills is valuable enough to package with our pick to move up in the draft? I'm not sure who would be interested, maybe Dallas at 21? Is he valuable enough to give us a real jump like Jazz at 12? Would Lakers, Celtics or Brooklyn give up their late first (27-29 respectively) for just him?

Edit: I also wonder if we could get the Rockets #18 (from Pelicans) for him straight up. He fits their team perfectly and would be great situationally in tandem with Beverley for offense/defense. It might be such a good fit that I might not do it, Mills would really improve the Rockets.

It's a risk but I feel as if he will be the one to lose out if we go looking for free agents, do we gamble and get a pick for him while we can and trade up? Or would he be worth a future first in the summer regardless?
    Patty is too good and his contract is too cheap, not to mention Cojo is a restricted free agent. Teams that are drafting in the teens are looking to build for the future and probably looking for more upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Rockets does make sense in terms of fit. He could replace both Prigioni and Terry who are going to 37 next season. But moving him for the 18th pick seems a bit high. I'd be looking to Minnesota and the 31st or 36th pick. The Spurs are probably going to use their 1st rounder on someone like George Lucas. Adding a high second rounder for Mills (who they would have to shed if they want to offer a near max contract) would be more likely that a first rounder.

Justin Anderson, or Cliff Alexander could slide to one of those picks or the Spurs could use it to stash Timothe Luwawu. Draft Express compared him to Danny Green He will have just turned 20 by draft day.

"
    Standing 6-7, he has long arms, big hands, a good frame, and excellent athletic ability. He's a versatile player who shows a nice framework of skills in virtually all facets of the games, be it with his ability to create off the dribble, find the open man, make shots from the perimeter, or defend a few different positions. "

They would still have the 52nd pick as well. In that scenario they could draft n' stash 3 players and clear cap space. After they use the cap space they can bring over LJC.
    Last edited by cd021; 04-27-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...reakdown-4920/

i haven't seen the scouting video yet. But i think i'm already ready to hitch my "wagon" to a "trade up for Kaminsky horse." This guy would be an old rookie, that has to do something for Pop. He has his team surprising people in the tourney consistently. The spurs need to replace Bonner. Let's get a floor spacing big man that could pickle Deandre Jordan/Ibaka types like a real Dirk 2.0.
    I agree with this. I'm sold on him hard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Duncan comes back then yes to Baynes and Cojo. If not I think the Spurs will renounce everyone except for KL & DG. Not so sure about Beli. He doesn't have bird rights so we would either need to use cap space, room exception or the M.L.E or the Bi if we go over the cap.

Marco had an interview a few months back saying this next contract was going to be about money because he needed to get a bigger contract before his career ended.

I don't see the Spurs offering him that much for the role that he would be playing. I think he goes elsewhere for 4-5mil a year

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking package Mills + 26 + future pick or our 2nd for Kaminsky.

Or if we get Aldridge offer up Tiago + 26th for Kaminsky

I think the rockets might give up 18 for Mills + 26.

Maybe Atlanta gives up 15 for Splitter + 26

Could we get Pacers to do Mills + Splitter + 26th for 11?

Bucks might give up 17 for Splitter or Celtics give up 16 for Splitter. Splitter would fit damn well on the Celtics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking package Mills + 26 + future pick or our 2nd for Kaminsky.

Or if we get Aldridge offer up Tiago + 26th for Kaminsky

I think the rockets might give up 18 for Mills + 26.

Maybe Atlanta gives up 15 for Splitter + 26

Could we get Pacers to do Mills + Splitter + 26th for 11?

Bucks might give up 17 for Splitter or Celtics give up 16 for Splitter. Splitter would fit damn well on the Celtics
    Spurs won't know where they stand with any free agents (other than maybe a verbal from their own) by the time the draft occurs. So any decision they make on trading players during it will be independent of free agency. That's not to say they wouldn't be open to trading anyone on their roster, but it does introduce risk of not being able to fill the gap left by their departure.

Personally, I think trading Mills would be too risky due to the restricted status of CoJo and concerns over Tony's decline. And Splitter might not net you a decent return because of his lingering injury concerns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't know where they stand with any free agents (other than maybe a verbal from their own) by the time the draft occurs. So any decision they make on trading players during it will be independent of free agency. That's not to say they wouldn't be open to trading anyone on their roster, but it does introduce risk of not being able to fill the gap left by their departure.

Personally, I think trading Mills would be too risky due to the restricted status of CoJo and concerns over Tony's decline. And Splitter might not net you a decent return because of his lingering injury concerns.
    This is a good point. I'd only add that a desire to open up as much space as possible might mean a draft-and-stash and/or trading down to get out of the first round. To the extent there is trading up to get someone, you have to think the move would also be made with idea of freeing up cap space (e.g., moving Mills, Cojo).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not try trading for Kaminsky using picks alone? a group of post-Timmy 2nds should be pretty appealing. i would even happily be on board a single post-Timmy 1st.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not try trading for Kaminsky using picks alone? a group of post-Timmy 2nds should be pretty appealing. i would even happily be on board a single post-Timmy 1st.

If that could get it done its a no brainer imo..

I'm just not sure it does.

Maybe 26 + 2017 lotto protected 1st with declining protection each year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that could get it done its a no brainer imo..

I'm just not sure it does.

Maybe 26 + 2017 lotto protected 1st with declining protection each year
    that's golden!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it looks just like Pee.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marco had an interview a few months back saying this next contract was going to be about money because he needed to get a bigger contract before his career ended.

I don't see the Spurs offering him that much for the role that he would be playing. I think he goes elsewhere for 4-5mil a year
    Yeah its hard to see him back. Using the MLE is a bit of a waste, on him at least. I'd rather give Anderson a chance at the backup 3 or have Green play more minutes with the second unit. Thats only if Duncan and Manu return though. I could see him heading east, plenty of teams that could use his shooting (Washington, Charlotte, Indiana).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Manu retires and Beli leaves then no way do you sign your last SG who can't dribble the ball and score in the paint..Say bye bye Danny Boy...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cojo probably won't even get an offer in RFA. Teams seldom offer deals to role players that are restricted. Neal came off a big Finals performance and didn't get an offer sheet for a month. Spurs cut him loose and he signed with Milwaukee a few days later. Kantor, Leonard, (Tris) Thompson, Draymond Green) and Jackson are all RFAs this off season. Thats not including a solid FA list.

Moving Mills is necessary if the Spurs want to clear out enough for a max contract.

Splitter, when healthy, is an elite defender and an above average offensive player. He's only 30 (young for a center) and on a descending contract.

Atlanta would be a good trade partner. Atlanta gives up the 15th pick for Splitter.

They could absorb his contract ($47.8 Million to 9 players including Splitter) and still have between $18.5- $19.3 million to resign Milsap and Carroll.

He would come off the bench, minimizing his chance of injury as the 3rd big.

Spurs pick up a second first rounder. and Clear out $25.5 million in cap (including cap holds to KL & DG) if you include cap holds for the 5 empty roster spots its $23.5 million. Spurs could keep Mills in that scenario.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to replace Splitter. Not many big men out there. Thats how Splitter got his deal in the first place. Wouldn't be so quick to dump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaminsky will be a late lottery pick, nobody is going to give up that for #26 and a non-lottery 1st in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about Mills for Bucks #17? They are crying out for some shooting, he could really help them and they might want someone with some playoff experience considering how many guys they have still on their rookie deals

Thread Information