Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To think that there's no justification for peaceful protest in a situation like this one is beyond ignorant. There have been plenty of anecdotal tales of Ferguson police dealing with black citizens in ways that many could deem unjustified. To use the death of Michael Brown at the hands of a police officer as a basis to bring that problem to light and to try to urge change in ways that might eradicate those cir stances is precisely what protest should be about. Nobody protests things that they agree with; few protest when there's a consensus that justice has been done. Dr. King made considerable strides for racial progress with the mostly peaceful protests that he and his allies led throughout the South. Protests in these contexts -- civil disobedience -- may be seen as ridiculous by some, but those sorts of peaceful protests have changed policy and law throughout American history.

To equate those who peacefully protest with those who usurp peaceful protests to carry out lawlessness is laziness. To simply assume that all protesters engaged in the sort of ridiculous lawlessness that got so many headlines last night and today is equally lazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fairly sure they'll eventually get $$$ through civil action, but obviously that's a different matter altogether.
    I don't know MO caselaw on this specifically, but Wilson should be able to take advantage of various levels of qualified immunity from the civil lawsuit(s).

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why can't those who claim such things are epidemic find a case where there is absolutely no extenuating cir stances that would tend to justify (or at least explain) the action as being motivated by something other than race? If the beating of Rodney King and the shootings of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown are such a huge societal problem, why doesn't this happen more?
    In each one of those examples, the guys with the weapons got off with no penalty... and in Wilson's case, not even a trial. That's their issue here. People are mad because they don't feel like there's any accountability, and they don't feel they're getting a fair say in the process of accountability. The Rodney King jury had 10 whites, a Hispanic, and an Asian. There was one minority, a Puerto Rican, on the Zimmerman jury. Wilson won't even be going to trial.

The problem is not that innocent black kids are being gunned down every day. These are extreme examples that, for these people, illustrate the larger problem. Black Americans are disproportionately suspected of crime, arrested for petty crimes, and given harsher sentences for those crimes. But they are certainly more at risk than any other race of being shot, unarmed, by police for doing something that doesn't require that kind of force. And in the most high-profile of those cases (whether you agree they should have been high-profile or not), there has been no penalty for the shooter/beater.

There is a 0% chance that a white kid walking through a neighborhood at night gets shot by the neighborhood watchman, or that a 12-year old white kid playing "cowboy" and pretending to shoot cars with his toy shotgun in the suburbs gets gunned down by police. And that's without considering what the trial might look like if that did happen.

Meanwhile, the rest of America tells them to suck it up and deal with it. They tell them it's their problem, that they need to change their culture. Try telling a black guy who works hard and hasn't committed any crime in his life that he just needs to quit complaining and accept a higher level of scrutiny and risk because other people who look like him have a higher tendency to be criminals. Or that his kids will have to watch out for that as well. Tell him that he has a responsibility to evolve the culture of people who look like him. Because he's part of that group.

You'd be pissed off too, if the roles were reversed. But you'll never have to worry about it. You were born with the benefit of the doubt.

And you've go not response and no justification for either the protesters or looters..

I don't have to justify protesters. I support the right of people to assemble and protest for anything.

I never claimed the looters were justified.
    them for their selfishness and opportunism, and moreso for being a distraction and excuse for people like you. That said, it's a little strange how much we mourn for the loss of cars and bottles of Heineken in the context of things like Katrina and Ferguson. But we've always favored big commerce over humanity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree with this. Prosecutors have discretion to bring or not bring charges. That wasn't the case here. Public pressure forced the prosecutor to present a case to the grand jury - something he might not otherwise have done has this been not as high profile. The Brown's aren't en led to their day in court as a matter of course.
    X2

The prosecutor had access to the same facts the grand jury did. if it had been a white guy shot with the same facts and no media attention it would have never even gone to the grand jury.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    To think that there's no justification for peaceful protest in a situation like this one is beyond ignorant. There have been plenty of anecdotal tales of Ferguson police dealing with black citizens in ways that many could deem unjustified. To use the death of Michael Brown at the hands of a police officer as a basis to bring that problem to light and to try to urge change in ways that might eradicate those cir stances is precisely what protest should be about. Nobody protests things that they agree with; few protest when there's a consensus that justice has been done. Dr. King made considerable strides for racial progress with the mostly peaceful protests that he and his allies led throughout the South. Protests in these contexts -- civil disobedience -- may be seen as ridiculous by some, but those sorts of peaceful protests have changed policy and law throughout American history.

To equate those who peacefully protest with those who usurp peaceful protests to carry out lawlessness is laziness. To simply assume that all protesters engaged in the sort of ridiculous lawlessness that got so many headlines last night and today is equally lazy.
    People do protest stuff like this quite a bit. And nobody cares.

The only reason this case got any attention at all is because they vandalized that gas station.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It happened because lots of cops are trigger happy assholes who refuse to back down to cool off a situation and instead shoot their way through.
    I don't agree with your generic characterization of police officers, but I do agree with the notion that we've made it far too easy for police officers to quickly resort to deadly force when less dramatic means are available to deal with suspects.

I posed the hypothetical before, and I think it still works -- suppose the Brown situation had been reversed; that for some reason, Officer Wilson had been punching Brown and chasing him down. If Officer Wilson was doing those things, would we (societally) think it was a perfectly reasonable thing for Brown to have pulled a gun and shot Wilson dead? I doubt it. I get that police officers put their lives on the lines in some instances, but I don't believe that their willingness to do that also clothes them with authority to be judge, jury, and executioner whenever they get scared; we certainly don't tolerate it too much when citizens who are scared try to defend themselves against aggressive police officers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    double post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's lost in all of this is that this didn't happen because Brown was black. It happened because lots of cops are trigger happy assholes who refuse to back down to cool off a situation and instead shoot their way through.

Cops kill people of all colors all the time and the exact same legal outcome occurs.

Difference is most neighborhoods don't riot when it happens.
    Cops don't carry guns to protect us. They carry guns to protect themselves.

Smart people know this and don't with the cops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People do protest stuff like this quite a bit. And nobody cares.
    Yet here are a bunch of people who come to an internet forum devoted to a basketball team talking about it.

I don't think you can say that nobody cares. It may not result in any change, particularly if the protestors don't try to build political coalitions to put public pressure on those who make and carry out policy. But it's difficult to say this morning that nobody cares about the protests in Missouri.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, plus the family simply did not get their day in court, which is one of the main tenets that makes our justice system seem just. That's probably the worst part of this whole thing, regardless if Ofc Wilson was innocent or not.

I'm fairly sure they'll eventually get $$$ through civil action, but obviously that's a different matter altogether.
    The family will get their day on civil court. Criminal cases aren't between private parties. What the could the family have done in court anyway? Testify that "my son would never hurt a fly!!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't agree with your generic characterization of police officers, but I do agree with the notion that we've made it far too easy for police officers to quickly resort to deadly force when less dramatic means are available to deal with suspects.

I posed the hypothetical before, and I think it still works -- suppose the Brown situation had been reversed; that for some reason, Officer Wilson had been punching Brown and chasing him down. If Officer Wilson was doing those things, would we (societally) think it was a perfectly reasonable thing for Brown to have pulled a gun and shot Wilson dead? I doubt it. I get that police officers put their lives on the lines in some instances, but I don't believe that their willingness to do that also clothes them with authority to be judge, jury, and executioner whenever they get scared; we certainly don't tolerate it too much when citizens who are scared try to defend themselves against aggressive police officers.

I also think its far too easy for the media (including social media) to spread false or sketchy information about these events. Then the professional grievance industry starts parroting this information as if they are facts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more concerned about Ms. DuBose than the looters are about Michael Brown. Not because I care about her individually but, because of the social decay her plight represents. It was the same in Inglewood and Sanford. Wanton destruction of one's own community, in the name of "justice," is a much more prevalent problem than young African-American teens being "unjustly" treated by the police or "white Hispanics."
    I'm not concerned about Ms. Dubose. There's a 95% she votes for and supports the race hustlers that perpetuate this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree with this. Prosecutors have discretion to bring or not bring charges. That wasn't the case here. Public pressure forced the prosecutor to present a case to the grand jury - something he might not otherwise have done has this been not as high profile. The Brown's aren't en led to their day in court as a matter of course.
    Come on vy, nobody forces the prosecutor to do anything. If he didn't feel like he could bring a case forward, he should've either not brought it, or simply removed himself from the case, and let some other prosecutor that firmly believe there was a case to go for it. Both you and I know there's indictments every day on cases much, much flimsier than this one. Because it was a cop involved, then all prosecutorial diligence changes? That's what makes cases like this stink.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The family will get their day on civil court. Criminal cases aren't between private parties. What the could the family have done in court anyway? Testify that "my son would never hurt a fly!!"
    Well, for one, they could've requested cross examination of these alleged incongruent witnesses. And sure, part of a public trial is exploring character's personalities. They simply never had the chance to present their side of the argument. That was, in a way, the prosecutor job, and he apparently did not do that. A public trial is a completely different animal. Even if Wilson was innocent, it's a lot different when they get to say their side of the story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you mean MB?
    errr. Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know MO caselaw on this specifically, but Wilson should be able to take advantage of various levels of qualified immunity from the civil lawsuit(s).
    Among the legal commentary yesterday (though it was fairly superficial), there was mention that they should have a good shot at the civil level. Take it with a grain of salt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's unlikely that any other person presented to the grand jury in St. Louis County, Missouri has gotten the kind of treatment that Officer Wilson got in terms of the way the evidence was presented to the grand jury. One wonders how the indictment rate might change if all of those presented to the grand jury were afforded the same courtesies.

If, God forbid, a police officer is killed by a citizen in that jurisdiction, I sincerely doubt that the suspect will be given the same time and attention by the grand jury and that the grand jury will resolve all doubts in favor of the citizen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, for one, they could've requested cross examination of these alleged incongruent witnesses. And sure, part of a public trial is exploring character's personalities. They simply never had the chance to present their side of the argument. That was, in a way, the prosecutor job, and he apparently did not do that. A public trial is a completely different animal. Even if Wilson was innocent, it's a lot different when they get to say their side of the story.
    they dont have a side of their story that will be taken seriously. they had nothing to do with the incident, have no way of knowing what happened (to this day go along with the hands-up-dont-shoot narrative) and any testimony of how precious their son was would be taken with heaps and heaps of salt anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Among the legal commentary yesterday (though it was fairly superficial), there was mention that they should have a good shot at the civil level. Take it with a grain of salt.
    I think that's actually unlikely. It's very hard to succeed on a civil case against a police officer who is acting in the course and scope of his official duties. The claim generally has to be brought under federal law (28 USC s. 1983, specifically) and in federal court, and officers tend to enjoy at least some kinds of immunity -- at least in certain cir stances. It's been a long time since I've dealt with such a case (and I've never looked at the issues under Missouri law), but my recollection is that while there's a visceral appeal to a civil case, it's a legal longshot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's unlikely that any other person presented to the grand jury in St. Louis County, Missouri has gotten the kind of treatment that Officer Wilson got in terms of the way the evidence was presented to the grand jury. One wonders how the indictment rate might change if all of those presented to the grand jury were afforded the same courtesies.

If, God forbid, a police officer is killed by a citizen in that jurisdiction, I sincerely doubt that the suspect will be given the same time and attention by the grand jury and that the grand jury will resolve all doubts in favor of the citizen.
    Pretty much. Heck, at the federal level, the rate of cases in which a grand jury denies an indictment is 0.00006%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they dont have a side of their story that will be taken seriously. they had nothing to do with the incident, have no way of knowing what happened (to this day go along with the hands-up-dont-shoot narrative) and any testimony of how precious their son was would be taken with heaps and heaps of salt anyway
    How it's taken it's up to the jury. It at least affords them to go through all the evidence, be involved in the case of their son's death, and, as I pointed out earlier, a sense of justice: they were heard. The outcome might not end up being what they want, but that's a different story altogether.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's actually unlikely. It's very hard to succeed on a civil case against a police officer who is acting in the course and scope of his official duties. The claim generally has to be brought under federal law (28 USC s. 1983, specifically) and in federal court, and officers tend to enjoy at least some kinds of immunity -- at least in certain cir stances. It's been a long time since I've dealt with such a case (and I've never looked at the issues under Missouri law), but my recollection is that while there's a visceral appeal to a civil case, it's a legal longshot.
    I'll take your word for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the federal level, the rate of cases in which a grand jury denies an indictment is 0.00006%
    I suspect the numbers are roughly similar at the state level, even in St. Louis County.

The grand jury system is actually set up to prefer indictments to no bills, slanting the field decidedly against the accused (accused individuals are rarely invited to grand jury proceedings, even more rarely asked to tell their story in their own words) and requiring only a probable cause showing (not the adduction of proof beyond a reasonable doubt). A grand jury proceeding shouldn't be a mini-trial, but that is apparently not what this prosecutor thought of this particular presentation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    n/m

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect the numbers are roughly similar at the state level, even in St. Louis County.

The grand jury system is actually set up to prefer indictments to no bills, slanting the field decidedly against the accused (accused individuals are rarely invited to grand jury proceedings, even more rarely asked to tell their story in their own words) and requiring only a probable cause showing (not the adduction of proof beyond a reasonable doubt). A grand jury proceeding shouldn't be a mini-trial, but that is apparently not what this prosecutor thought of this particular presentation.
    Smart move by the prosecutor imo. A long drawn out media hyped trial ending in a not guilty verdict probably would have led to more violence than no indictment.

Thread Information