Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, Ferguson and especially New York were perversions of the Grand Jury system by prosecutors with cleat conflicts of interest. They were working for the defense and not the people. The results would have been much easier to take had the legal procedures not been so out of the ordinary.
    For them to have been ordinary, the Prosecutor in Ferguson would have never brought the case in the first place but, that wasn't acceptable to the "Hands up, don't shoot" crowd. Of course, taking it to the Grand Jury wasn't acceptable to them either.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For them to have been ordinary, the Prosecutor in Ferguson would have never brought the case in the first place but, that wasn't acceptable to the "Hands up, don't shoot" crowd. Of course, taking it to the Grand Jury wasn't acceptable to them either.
    Inasmuch as ordinary is allowing the police to act without oversight or accountability to parties without a vested interest in protecting them, sure.

I agree if DAs had their druthers they would never ever bring a case involving a cop to a grand jury. It's a clear conflict of interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inasmuch as ordinary is allowing the police to act without oversight or accountability to parties without a vested interest in protecting them, sure.

I agree if DAs had their druthers they would never ever bring a case involving a cop to a grand jury. It's a clear conflict of interest.
    If that were the case, every police-involved shooting, brought before a Grand Jury, would have to have been "forced" by an aggrieved community and that just isn't the case. Many police-involved shootings are presented to Grand Juries; some result in indictment and trials. Some are found guilty and sent to prison.

What's your point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that were the case, every police-involved shooting, brought before a Grand Jury, would have to have been "forced" by an aggrieved community and that just isn't the case. Many police-involved shootings are presented to Grand Juries; some result in indictment and trials. Some are found guilty and sent to prison.

What's your point?
    I already made my point. There is a de facto conflict of interest in any local grand jury action brought by a local DA against a local law enforcement officer.

Nobody "forced" the DA to do anything, so I'm glad you used quotation marks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already made my point. There is a de facto conflict of interest in any local grand jury action brought by a local DA against a local law enforcement officer.
    It's the system we have. Work to change it.

I don't see anything su ious in the way this prosecutor handled what had become a very charged incident.

Nobody "forced" the DA to do anything, so I'm glad you used quotation marks.
    Well, depends on how you define "forced," This prosecutor said he was proceeding as he was because of the enormous amount of public and media interest and that he hoped it would quell the upset he was witnessing in the community. Of course, he felt that way because he knew the facts of the case exonerated Wilson and showed Brown to be exactly what most people suspected, a thug who assaulted and tried to kill Wilson.

Unfortunately, the "community" wasn't interested in facts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the system we have. Work to change it.

I don't see anything su ious in the way this prosecutor handled what had become a very charged incident.
    No one would ever expect you to see anything close to a conflict. When it comes to justice, you are blind.

Well, depends on how you define "forced," This prosecutor said he was proceeding as he was because of the enormous amount of public and media interest and that he hoped it would quell the upset he was witnessing in the community. Of course, he felt that way because he knew the facts of the case exonerated Wilson and showed Brown to be exactly what most people suspected, a thug who assaulted and tried to kill Wilson.

Unfortunately, the "community" wasn't interested in facts.
    So he wasn't forced. Just another official acting out of his self-perceived terror.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one would ever expect you to see anything close to a conflict. When it comes to justice, you are blind.
    If you bring a criminal complaint, should a District Attorney you voted for not be allowed to prosecute the case?

I don't see how police officers involved in homicides are any different than ordinary citizens involved in homicides. The District Attorney looks at all violent deaths and makes a determination, based on the facts, of whether or not to pursue an indictment. If he doesn't think the facts warrant indictment, he doesn't bring it; if he does, he does.

I'll grant that in the case of the Ferguson Grand Jury, it was unique but, not because the prosecutor was acting on behalf of the officer but because the community demanded he present the case to a Grand Jury; which he did. What did you want him to do at that point? Pretend evidence existed that would incriminate Officer Wilson? Pretend he was seeking an indictment for a crime he does not believe is supported by the facts available?

I'm not sure what you're upset about. Please elaborate. Exactly what did the Prosecutor do/not do that resulted in an injustice?

So he wasn't forced. Just another official acting out of his self-perceived terror.
    I'm with you, I would have told the community the evidence didn't support prosecution and, therefore, no case would be presented to the Grand Jury. But, he is a Democrat so, there's that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you bring a criminal complaint, should a District Attorney you voted for not be allowed to prosecute the case?

I don't see how police officers involved in homicides are any different than ordinary citizens involved in homicides. The District Attorney looks at all violent deaths and makes a determination, based on the facts, of whether or not to pursue an indictment. If he doesn't think the facts warrant indictment, he doesn't bring it; if he does, he does.

I'll grant that in the case of the Ferguson Grand Jury, it was unique but, not because the prosecutor was acting on behalf of the officer but because the community demanded he present the case to a Grand Jury; which he did. What did you want him to do at that point? Pretend evidence existed that would incriminate Officer Wilson? Pretend he was seeking an indictment for a crime he does not believe is supported by the facts available?

I'm not sure what you're upset about. Please elaborate. Exactly what did the Prosecutor do/not do that resulted in an injustice?
    I said you would never see the inherent conflict of interest and I was right.

I'm with you, I would have told the community the evidence didn't support prosecution and, therefore, no case would be presented to the Grand Jury. But, he is a Democrat so, there's that.
    Hey, look at you making it partisan!

Again!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said you would never see the inherent conflict of interest and I was right.
    You're right, I don't see it.

Hey, look at you making it partisan!

Again!
    Just his cowardice in not standing up to the community. That's typically a Democrat trait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right, I don't see it.
    Of course you don't.

Politics!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what I would support, Chump?

A law that requires ALL District Attorney's to do what this District Attorney did in the Ferguson case. Present all evidence to a Grand Jury and give them the full range of options on what indictments could possibly be reached in the event, step back, and let them decide.

What would you have done differently?

What exactly did the prosecutor do, or not do, that has you so concerned?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you don't.
    Do tell. But, please, do explain what conflict exists with this prosecutor that does not exist with every other prosecutor so situated.

And, then, tell us your solution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what I would support, Chump?

A law that requires ALL District Attorney's to do what this District Attorney did in the Ferguson case. Present all evidence to a Grand Jury and give them the full range of options on what indictments could possibly be reached in the event, step back, and let them decide.

What would you have done differently?

What exactly did the prosecutor do, or not do, that has you so concerned?
    If a prosecutor doesn't want an indictment in the first place, how might that affect his presentation to the Grand Jury?

Do tell. But, please, do explain what conflict exists with this prosecutor that does not exist with every other prosecutor so situated.
    I didn't say his conflict was unique, genius.

And, then, tell us your solution.
    Get someone without the conflict of interest, genius.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a prosecutor doesn't want an indictment in the first place, how might that affect his presentation to the Grand Jury?
    Normally, a prosecutor who does not see evidence supporting a crime would not even present it to the Grand Jury.

I didn't say his conflict was unique, genius.
    So, it exists in all cases? Why hasn't there been a bigger deal made of this?

Get someone without the conflict of interest, genius.
    Who would that be? They already let the public pick the prosecutor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally, a prosecutor who does not see evidence supporting a crime would not even present it to the Grand Jury.
    Great.

So, it exists in all cases? Why hasn't there been a bigger deal made of this?
    Who knows? You about the media all the time. Certainly seems to be getting more profile now.

Who would that be? They already let the public pick the prosecutor.
    Read slowly: Get someone without the conflict of interest, genius.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great.

Who knows? You about the media all the time. Certainly seems to be getting more profile now.

Read slowly: Get someone without the conflict of interest, genius.
    Okay, genius, how is that person selected? We already elect them.

I think my idea is better, require them to present all evidence in a Grand Jury, every time an officer is involved in a fatal shooting on duty. Period. No exceptions.

Except, of course, that's exactly what happened in this case and you're still ing.

You still haven't explained exactly what the prosecutor did, or didn't, do that resulted in an injustice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, genius, how is that person selected? We already elect them.

I think my idea is better, require them to present all evidence in a Grand Jury, every time an officer is involved in a fatal shooting on duty. Period. No exceptions.

Except, of course, that's exactly what happened in this case and you're still ing.

You still haven't explained exactly what the prosecutor did, or didn't, do that resulted in an injustice.
    I explained there is an inherent conflict of interest.

You didn't understand it and never will, so here we are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I explained there is an inherent conflict of interest.

You didn't understand it and never will, so here we are.
    I get what you're saying but, you won't say to what you believe that "inherent conflict of interest" led in this case.

I'd be interested to know.

I think the prosecutor did the only thing he could, under the cir stances. He gave every shred of evidence to the Grand Jury, handed over 5 separate indictments, covering every possible crime that could be defined by the cir stances, and stood back and let the process work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what you're saying but, you won't say to what you believe that "inherent conflict of interest" led in this case.

I'd be interested to know.
    With whom do prosecutors usually work to build and present their cases?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complainants.

But, seriously, are you aware of some injustice done in this case? Please share.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the close relationships between local police departments and local district attorneys in building and presenting cases, one would think that the go-to move in a case involving the conduct of a police officer would be to seek out another prosecutor who might not be so beholden to his allies on the police force (and dependent, to a large extent, upon those allies providing assistance -- something that might be jeopardized if the local police force perceives that a district attorney has exerted a little too much pressure in his prosecutorial choices).

Sorry for short-circuiting the pedagogy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that the only party with which DAs work to build and present their cases?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that the only party with which DAs work to build and present their cases?
    Witnesses too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But not cops. Not ever with cops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But not cops. Not ever with cops.
    When they're witnesses or complainants, sure.

Thread Information