Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so no civil charges from the Feds. Holder is one corrupt mother er.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/22..._r=0&referrer=
    they're gna throw Holder under the bus.

uncle tom

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarah Culhane is white. Michael Brown is dead.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/s...e+Raw+Story%29

If she were black, esp a black male, she'd be dead.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Why didn't the Feds charge Wilson?

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

WRONG

Michael Brown is a violent criminal that deserved to die

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what a terrible comparison ... the cops in Culhane's case didn't have any reason to fear their lives ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why wasn't this on mainstream news? interracial hate crime, torture, etc

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/27909137/men

by the way the defendant offers his apology at 1:45. you should listen to it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why wasn't this on mainstream news? interracial hate crime, torture, etc

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/27909137/men

by the way the defendant offers his apology at 1:45. you should listen to it
    i just read it (don't feel like hearing that piece of ). un ingreal. Boutons is probably pumping his fist listening to that but I'm just speechless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just read it (don't feel like hearing that piece of ). un ingreal. Boutons is probably pumping his fist listening to that but I'm just speechless.
    this is why i dont buy into the mainstream hysteria. the big news outlets choose their stories that will get the people riled up, and you have guys like booboo that slurp the narrative. there are s of every skin color.

when the individual stories come out, they're terrible, but to try to convince me that its this one-way, entirely racially motivated, systematic victimization... i'm just not buying it.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Not a single response from those who said the Fed civil trial would have a different outcome. Interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a single response from those who said the Fed civil trial would have a different outcome. Interesting.
    Nice strawman. It's been widely reported from the beginning that the difference in the standards of proof for the civil rights versus homicide investigations would mean the DoJ would be unlikely to do anything. I am pretty sure that was coming from the DoJ itself.

My point has been that the homicide investigation has been flawed from the very beginning. Who exactly are you calling out?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Ferguson run 'debtor's prison'? Lawsuit targets a source of unrest.

A lawsuit filed Sunday aims to correct one of the driving factors behind the racial unrest in Ferguson, Mo., last summer: a local court system that, critics say, systematically jailed people too poor to pay fines ac ulated from traffic tickets or other minor infractions.

A kind of 19th-century "debtor's prison" has been in place for years in Ferguson and nearby Jennings, Mo., say those who filed the lawsuit. The result, they add, is "a ensian system that flagrantly violates the basic cons utional and human rights of our community’s most vulnerable people."

The lawsuit comes at a time when several states and cities – including Ferguson – are beginning to address the grievances laid bare last summer. Ferguson has just not gone far enough or fast enough, the lawsuit claims.

As of last October, many small towns near St. Louis with majority black populations collected more money from traffic fines and court fees than from property and sales taxes

court-related revenues were the second largest source of city income, accounting for $2.6 million of the $20 million in total revenue, the report found. And in 2013, Ferguson issued almost 33,000 arrest warrants, more than one per resident, for unpaid fines for minor violations – though many were issued for non-residents.

"The practice of using fines and fees to impose ‘hidden taxes’ on the poorest populations is evident," the report said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...urce-of-unrest

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Law Enforcement Concerns Create Unlikely Alliances in Missouri and Beyond

For years, poor black residents of St. Louis County have complained bitterly about being jailed when they could not pay traffic fines. Protesters in Ferguson, after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by the police last year, even cited those fines — and related trips to jail — as a major reason for their anger.

So when a measure was introduced recently in the Republican-held General Assembly calling for sharp limits in the revenue that Missouri towns can derive from traffic fines, it was not surprising that black lawmakers voiced support. What was unexpected were their allies in the cause: white, suburban Republicans, a former St. Louis County police chief and leaders from several conservative groups.

“If the St. Louis Tea Party coalition and the A.C.L.U. are on the same page on something, we must be going down the right path,” Bill Hennessy, a leader of theTea Party group, told a legislative committee the other day, moments after a local American Civil Liberties Union leader testified in support of the measure.

Their unlikely alliance helped the ticket-revenue bill pass unanimously in the State Senate on Thursday, with approval in the House considered very likely — even as a host of other post-Ferguson measures intended to regulate the police are struggling to gain traction.

Eric Schmitt, a Missouri Senate Republican, is the chief sponsor of a bill to limit cities’ reliance on revenue from traffic fines.

Missouri is hardly the only place where left and right are joining forces on law enforcement issues.

In Cincinnati, libertarians and the N.A.A.C.P. together fought a jail expansion and red-light cameras.

In Philadelphia, a coalition of conservatives and civil rights defenders has opposed civil asset forfeiture, a law enforcement practice that has often targeted small-business owners and the poor.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/15...nces.html?_r=0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DOJ passed on criminal charges, but will threaten to sue Ferguson:

The Justice Department has nearly completed a highly critical report accusing the police in Ferguson, Mo., of making discriminatory traffic stops of African-Americans that created years of racial animosity leading up to an officer’s shooting of a black teenager last summer, law enforcement officials said.According to several officials who have been briefed on the report’s conclusions, the report criticizes the city for disproportionately ticketing and arresting African-Americans and relying on the fines to balance the city’s budget. The report, which is expected to be released as early as this week, will force Ferguson officials to either negotiate a settlement with the Justice Department or face being sued by it on civil rights charges.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/us...referrer=&_r=0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blacks accounted for 86 percent of traffic stops in 2013 but make up 63 percent of the population, according to the most recent data published by the Missouri attorney general. And once they were stopped, black drivers were twice as likely to be searched, even though searches of white drivers were more likely to turn up contraband.
    same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In an unrelated but similar case, the Justice Department recently filed court do ents in a lawsuit over whether the city of Clanton, Ala., is running a debtors’ prison. The lawsuit says city officials there keep poor people in jail simply because of their inability to pay fines.

“Because such systems do not account for individual cir stances of the accused, they essentially mandate pretrial detention for anyone who is too poor to pay the predetermined fee,” wrote Vanita Gupta, the top civil rights prosecutor at the Justice Department, who is also supervising the Ferguson inquiry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black guy pulled over while sitting a parked car after playing ball. Has tinted windows so cop stops. The cop accuses him of being a perv and wants to pat him down for a weapon He refuses and the cop slaps him with a handful of charges and dude loses his job over it because he's a government contractor.

The clowns in supporting the police department during the protest looking like dumb-asses. The mans should be able to sue the city for lost wages from that date in 2012-2015 and the cop should lose his job and have his name released to the media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the Southern states the development of American policing followed a different path. The genesis of the modern police organization in the South is the "Slave Patrol" (Platt 1982).

The first formal slave patrol was created in the Carolina colonies in 1704 (Reichel 1992).

Slave patrols had three primary functions:

(1) to chase down, apprehend, and return to their owners, runaway slaves;

(2) to provide a form of organized terror to deter slave revolts; and,

(3) to maintain a form of discipline for slave-workers who were subject to summary justice, outside of the law, if they violated any plantation rules.

Following the Civil War, these vigilante-style organizations evolved in modern Southern police departments primarily as a means of controlling freed slaves who were now laborers working in an agricultural caste system, and enforcing "Jim Crow" segregation laws, designed to deny freed slaves equal rights and access to the political system.

More than crime, modern police forces in the United States emerged as a response to "disorder."

What cons utes social and public order depends largely on who is defining those terms, and in the cities of 19th century America they were defined by the mercantile interests, who through taxes and political influence supported the development of bureaucratic policing ins utions. These economic interests had a greater interest in social control than crime control. Private and for profit policing was too disorganized and too crime-specific in form to fulfill these needs. The emerging commercial elites needed a mechanism to insure a stable and orderly work force, a stable and orderly environment for the conduct of business, and the maintenance of what they referred to as the "collective good" (Spitzer and Scull 1977). These mercantile interests also wanted to divest themselves of the cost of protecting their own enterprises, transferring those costs from the private sector to the state.

http://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook/history-policing-united-states-part-1

Even today, living, walking, driving "while black" (while non-white) is "disorder", requiring non-stop, daily police harassment, brutality, murder to restore "order"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michael Brown family to file wrongful death lawsuit against Ferguson

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/m...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would like to see several lawsuits against the city as a result of the findings in the DOJ report. Few things change policy faster than the risk of lawsuits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    believe it or not the real risk here isn't fiscal, it's the risk to reputation. illegitimate force undermines itself in the popular sovereignty model.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    being called out as illegitimate by the superior sovereign is a heavy blow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tends to legitimate the popular complaint against force.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if Ferguson doesn't play ball, the bigger sovereigns will ride herd on them, and the people will make their life a living .

Thread Information