Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty easy to get an indictment, really..

Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.

Wilson’s case was heard in state court, not federal, so the numbers aren’t directly comparable. Unlike in federal court, most states, including Missouri, allow prosecutors to bring charges via a preliminary hearing in front of a judge instead of through a grand jury indictment. That means many routine cases never go before a grand jury. Still, legal experts agree that, at any level, it is extremely rare for prosecutors to fail to win an indictment.

“If the prosecutor wants an indictment and doesn’t get one, something has gone horribly wrong,” said Andrew D. Leipold, a University of Illinois law professor who has written critically about grand juries. “It just doesn’t happen.”
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/f...darren-wilson/

The Press conference by Ferguson Prosecutor Robert McCulloch really sounded like the closing argument for the defence....disgusting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the streets of Ferguson..

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bassemmasri

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess it got to late for the the M$M to report live news?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/goza-live

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the prosecution doesn't feel confident that they have a winning case, they aren't going to push for an indictment. the only reason it got as far as it did was the public pressure.

it parallels the zimmerman case, where it was pretty clear the state felt they had no case, but were basically forced by pressure to put him on trial, which ended up with a predictable result.

that being said, the prosecutor's statement today was baffling. based on his own words, i thought a trial seemed appropriate. if the main issues at hand are questions of fact (which is what he implied all along), then that's the literal purpose of a jury trial. i doubt there would have been a conviction anyway, and maybe the decision made today was the correct one, but i think they did a really poor job of describing their reasons not to indict wilson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ?St. Louis prosecutor McCulloch roasted online for indicting everybody but Darren Wilson

St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch (D) was criticize as much on Monday night for the decision not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson as for his 20-minute statement leading up to it.

Instead of immediately announcing that Wilson would not be prosecuted for shooting and killing 18-year-old Michael Brown this past August, McCulloch opened by blaming social media and the media in general for supposedly pushing a distorted narrative of the shooting.

The Huffington Post
    called McCulloch’s statement “bizarre,” while CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin described it as an “extended whine” that was “completely inappropriate.”

"Five Thirty Eight reported that the grand jury’s decision was a statistical rarity; out of 162,000 federal cases in 2010, grand juries opted not to indict in just 11 instances."

"only three [of 12] jurors needed to agree that there wasn't enough evidence to charge Wilson"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/st-louis-prosecutor-mcculloch-roasted-online-for-indicting-everybody-but-darren-wilson/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

Shooting an unarmed black man was of course the trolling-a-black-neighborhood cop's ONLY course of action, like shooting a12 year old kid with toy gun dead was the only course of action.

But "if he were white ..." :

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/05/gun_nuts_special_privileges_how_police_treated_a_d angerous_open_carry_zealot/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read the the Mc up allowed Wilson to testify for hours in his own defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millions duped by "hands up don't shoot"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why It’s Impossible to Indict a Cop

It’s not just Ferguson—here’s how the system protects police.

http://www.thenation.com/article/190...le-indict-cop#

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fighting with a cop for his weapon -- not a good idea

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fighting with a cop for his weapon -- not a good idea
    white cop trolling a black neighborhood, always a good idea for the cops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    white cop trolling a black neighborhood, always a good idea for the cops.
    Except when he's responding to a call in that neighborhood

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except when he's responding to a call in that neighborhood
    .. had time to harass a couple blacks, I'm sure the cop was respectful, polite, non-inflammatory, to get out of the street.

License To Kill (anybody): USA's militarized, anti-citizen police state. Everybody, and everything they own and do, is suspect. It's The American Way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .. had time to harass a couple blacks, I'm sure the cop was respectful, polite, non-inflammatory, to get out of the street.

License To Kill (anybody): USA's militarized, anti-citizen police state. Everybody, and everything they own and do, is suspect. It's The American Way.
    The guys in the street WERE the reason the call was made. Rob a convenience store, get the cops called, battle said cop for his weapon - at what point are you willing to hold Darren Wilson accountable for HIS actions? Ever? What is your solution Boutons? What result do YOU want? Useless ing is useless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still holding on to false premises, I see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guys in the street WERE the reason the call was made. Rob a convenience store, get the cops called, battle said cop for his weapon - at what point are you willing to hold Darren Wilson accountable for HIS actions? Ever? What is your solution Boutons? What result do YOU want? Useless ing is useless.

Did you mean MB?

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, this is certainly an appropriate response; burning down minority-owned businesses in the name of Michael Brown. It's probably something he would have done in the name of some other thug, gunned down when attacking an armed police officer.

MOST BUSINESSES DESTROYED IN FERGUSON MINORITY OWNED

KMOV-TV reports that the majority of stores that were damaged or completely destroyed during Monday night's violent riots in Ferguson were minority owned. Fire Departments around the St. Louis County Area put out 25 structural fires caused by vandals and looters following the announcement from the grand jury that Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson would not be indicted in the death of Mike Brown.
    Is This ‘Justice’? Natalie DuBose’s Cake Store Is Attacked In #Ferguson, Along With Many Other Businesses

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rioters and looters aren't protestors, they're opportunists. em.

But also LOL at half of America rising up to decry the vandalism of 25 insured properties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rioters and looters aren't protestors, they're opportunists. em.

But also LOL at half of America rising up to decry the vandalism of 25 insured properties.
    I wonder if Ms. DuBose can meet the deductible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Ms. DuBose can meet the deductible.
    I'm sure you're legitimately concerned about this, but rest assured she'll get plenty of help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure you're legitimately concerned about this, but rest assured she'll get plenty of help.
    I'm more concerned about Ms. DuBose than the looters are about Michael Brown. Not because I care about her individually but, because of the social decay her plight represents. It was the same in Inglewood and Sanford. Wanton destruction of one's own community, in the name of "justice," is a much more prevalent problem than young African-American teens being "unjustly" treated by the police or "white Hispanics."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more concerned about Ms. DuBose than the looters are about Michael Brown.
    That's because the "looters" aren't concerned with Michael Brown. The protesters are.

Not because I care about her individually
    Naturally.

Wanton destruction of one's own community, in the name of "justice," is a much more prevalent problem than young African-American teens being "unjustly" treated by the police or "white Hispanics."
    Now you trollin' again. Have a good one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because the "looters" aren't concerned with Michael Brown. The protesters are.
    Why?

I don't know her but, she represents the problem brought by this overwrought sensationalism of single incidents as if they were representative of all interactions between whites and blacks. The police (wrongly, I agree) beat Rodney King because he led them on a dangerous pursuit and resisted arrest at the end of it; not because he was black. George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin because he feared he was about to lose consciousness and control of his gun when be believed would then be used to kill him. Officer Wilson shot Michael Brown because he had already attacked him once and was running at him to do it again.

Why can't those who claim such things are epidemic find a case where there is absolutely no extenuating cir stances that would tend to justify (or at least explain) the action as being motivated by something other than race? If the beating of Rodney King and the shootings of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown are such a huge societal problem, why doesn't this happen more?

Now you trollin' again. Have a good one.
    And you've go not response and no justification for either the protesters or looters.. You have a good one, as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the prosecution doesn't feel confident that they have a winning case, they aren't going to push for an indictment. the only reason it got as far as it did was the public pressure.

it parallels the zimmerman case, where it was pretty clear the state felt they had no case, but were basically forced by pressure to put him on trial, which ended up with a predictable result.

that being said, the prosecutor's statement today was baffling. based on his own words, i thought a trial seemed appropriate. if the main issues at hand are questions of fact (which is what he implied all along), then that's the literal purpose of a jury trial. i doubt there would have been a conviction anyway, and maybe the decision made today was the correct one, but i think they did a really poor job of describing their reasons not to indict wilson.
    Yup, plus the family simply did not get their day in court, which is one of the main tenets that makes our justice system seem just. That's probably the worst part of this whole thing, regardless if Ofc Wilson was innocent or not.

I'm fairly sure they'll eventually get $$$ through civil action, but obviously that's a different matter altogether.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, plus the family simply did not get their day in court, which is one of the main tenets that makes our justice system seem just. That's probably the worst part of this whole thing, regardless if Ofc Wilson was innocent or not.
    Disagree with this. Prosecutors have discretion to bring or not bring charges. That wasn't the case here. Public pressure forced the prosecutor to present a case to the grand jury - something he might not otherwise have done has this been not as high profile. The Brown's aren't en led to their day in court as a matter of course.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    What's lost in all of this is that this didn't happen because Brown was black. It happened because lots of cops are trigger happy assholes who refuse to back down to cool off a situation and instead shoot their way through.

Cops kill people of all colors all the time and the exact same legal outcome occurs.

Difference is most neighborhoods don't riot when it happens.

Thread Information