Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can get x86 down to 3W TDP, I think they're set. That's what an ARM CPU uses these days. I mean, the latest CPUs are basically a SoC already. USB3, gfx, hardware video decoding are all built into the CPU already.
    Yeah, but is ARM going to stay there? The complicated instruction decoding isn't a barrier that's going to hurt them with power consumption?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to this, Intel might just scrape Broadwell for the desktop and go directly to Skylake for that:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/77585...s-14nm-update/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to this, Intel might just scrape Broadwell for the desktop and go directly to Skylake for that:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/77585...s-14nm-update/
    I keep seeing they're only releasing Broadwell-K, I guess for PC Master Race that has to upgrade every year tbh. No clue why gamers would give a about process shrinks that save a few watts, but s want Broadwell-K.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but is ARM going to stay there? The complicated instruction decoding isn't a barrier that's going to hurt them with power consumption?
    x64 already addressed a lot of the funky instruction issues. In the past, you could make a case that Thumb was important for mobile/embedded due to the reduction in code size, but in this day and age, with the price of flash and ram, that's no longer a concern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real key for intel is going to be to keep the prices down... all these process updates cost a lot of dough... but it's the price they had to pay to catch up. They can't afford to raise the CPU prices in the current market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real key for intel is going to be to keep the prices down... all these process updates cost a lot of dough... but it's the price they had to pay to catch up. They can't afford to raise the CPU prices in the current market.
    Those niggers never drop prices on the desktop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a few years ago when people were saying the AMD E-350 would be taking over the netbook/budget laptop segment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intel missed out big time on the mobile front. They should be in Qualcomm's place tbh. They should forget about powering Android and look for Alpha to bail them out tbh. I heard the new Microsoft phones are out with Intel processors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD..helping poor people on tight budgets all over the world build the crappy PC of their dreams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD..helping poor people on tight budgets all over the world build the crappy PC of their dreams
    Their graphics cards are still awesome though, as long as you NEVER buy the reference coolers. All of Nvidia's cards except the 970 are crazy overpriced. Especially crap like the 760 and 770. The 970 is only considered awesome because they released it at $330 instead of $400. The 980 is barely a step up from the 780 Ti. I'm not impressed by the power consumption either, as a GTX 970 only peaks about 70W below what the R9 290 does, despite all the hype about it being a 145W card. I hope AMD keeps making 250W-300W cards, since a good 600W-650W PSU isn't a lot more expensive than a good 500W PSU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I clown AMD all day, but if they are AMD = finished that's gonna suck for Nvidia prices

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I clown AMD all day, but if they are AMD = finished that's gonna suck for Nvidia prices
    I don't think that's a worry right now though for GPUs, as AMD has the best card at every price below $300. I'm eager to see what the 390x looks like and whether it makes 4k gaming at 60 FPS high a possibility on a single GPU. But their CPUs are ing garbage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Best" is subjective..nobody cares that your card does 5 FPS more on average when it's running normally at 100 degrees with fans louder than an engine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Best" is subjective..nobody cares that your card does 5 FPS more on average when it's running normally at 100 degrees with fans louder than an engine
    Their only GPUs in the R9 2xx series that run at 95C are the reference 290/290x blowers, but the aftermarket 290s run in the mid to high 70s at full load and the aftermarket 290x's at high 70s to low 80s at full load. Nvidia knows they can count on fanboys to keep their 760 and 770 prices high even though they're significantly worse cards than what AMD puts out in those price ranges. AMD can't touch Nvidia right now when it comes to 1080p gaming in the $300 range, but otherwise AMD has better cards currently. But Nvidia could definitely swoop in and take the entire midrange market for a few months if they release the GTX 960 as just a slightly cut down and lower binned version of the 970, still with 4GB VRAM.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11-28-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Thread Information