Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Post Count
    I was not aware of that, why did the Big 10 get to have two?
    IDK why the Big 10 got two....your guess is as good as mine.

In fairness....I must say a few things that were left out of my previous post. The SEC technically had two representatives, but Archie Manning took a leave of absence at the very beginning...therefore only leaving one for the SEC. Also, Tom Osborne was the coach of Nebraska when they were in the Big 12. So on the website it says his conference affiliation is both the Big10 and Big12. And I don't count Condi Rice as a Pac-12 representative. I mean she was the Secretary of State...she wasn't a coach, an athletic director, or a player. Therefore, the Pac-12 only had one representative like the SEC and ACC.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    IDK why the Big 10 got two....your guess is as good as mine.

In fairness....I must say a few things that were left out of my previous post. The SEC technically had two representatives, but Archie Manning took a leave of absence at the very beginning...therefore only leaving one for the SEC. Also, Tom Osborne was the coach of Nebraska when they were in the Big 12. So on the website it says his conference affiliation is both the Big10 and Big12. And I don't count Condi Rice as a Pac-12 representative. I mean she was the Secretary of State...she wasn't a coach, an athletic director, or a player. Therefore, the Pac-12 only had one representative like the SEC and ACC.
    Yeah, the whole thing makes as much sense to me as Obama appointing a former cable lobbyist as FCC Chairman and then wondering why he is against open internet. I am not trying to denigrate OSU in any way either they took care of business last weekend.

My Team
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the whole thing makes as much sense to me as Obama appointing a former cable lobbyist as FCC Chairman and then wondering why he is against open internet. I am not trying to denigrate OSU in any way either they took care of business last weekend.
    LOL at the Obama remark.

But yeah...OSU is a deserving team. It's not like they're a bad team who got in on name alone. But like I said earlier....the first couple teams left out will always complain. No matter if it's 4 teams, 8 teams, 16 teams, or 68 teams like the March Madness brackets. And I don't really blame the teams for complaining.....there is a lot of $$$ at stake here.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/tcu...2/+robharvilla

Jim:

Did TCU get ed over?
    Yep. Baylor also got ed over, and I will let you Big 12 loyalists out there debate over which one got ed the hardest (I love the phrase "body of work" used on CFB arguments, like TCU just composed a series of operettas). Frankly, I'm surprised that U-Texas didn't make a few threatening phone calls to just grab the fourth playoff spot for themselves. "Put us in there or we'll bolt to the AAC NYEEEEEHAWWWWW!11!!1!!!11!!!"

But this is the beauty of having a college football playoff. I think that there are people who wanted this playoff to exist under the impression that it would be FAIRER, and that fewer teams would get ed over. But that's not how college football works. The industry of college football is built ENTIRELY on people ing other people over. Conferences over other conferences. Coaches over schools. Committees over players. Players over the pizza guy when he asks for a tip. Everyone gets ed over, and the playoff only AMPLIFIES all of the ing-over going on.

This is all by design. Before this playoff existed, BCS advocates cited the controversy generated by the system as one of its selling points: The idea is that ing people over helps draw more attention to the sport, and that's somehow GOOD. So the playoff has been set up with that in mind. Of course they only have four teams. And of course there's a super-secret 12-person committee that decides this over a tasteful lunch spread. And of course they switched in one of the most storied programs in the nation at the last moment and ed over two Johnny-Come-Latelies in the process. If that wasn't done deliberately, then the system was deliberately set up to ALLOW something like this to happen. In college football, you get bonus points for being a brand name, and you get d for being some random-ass joint like TCU. That corruption is baked into the system no matter what kind of postseason format they dream up.

And now that there's a playoff (which, for the record, I like), they can get away with even more egregious horse , because a month from now, no one will really care about TCU or Baylor getting locked out. A team like Bama will win it all, and it will be convincing, and all that braying from the Big 12 will cease to be endearing. That's how it works. I just hope that, five years from now, they create a football NIT to really drive home the insignificance of being a bubble team.

Post Count
    Baylor is the Big 12 champs, but this 4 team playoff isn't just based on conference championships. TCU had the better overall resume with the slightly better schedule and more impressive margin of victories. We've had teams get in the BCS le game without winning a conference championship so that argument doesn't hold water. TCU and Ohio State were neck and neck, but not Baylor. They weren't a top 5 caliber team.

Post Count
    We already have a football NIT. It's call every other bowl game.

Thread Information