Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    Not who you think will be the 4 but who should be the 4...

Mine:

1. Alabama
    2. Florida State
    3. Oregon
    4. TCU

I give the nod to TCU over Baylor because Baylor played a complete scrub non-conference schedule and lost to a bad West Virgina team. They did beat TCU but it was at home and it took a miracle comeback which I don't think they could pull off again. I think TCU is the better team. Ohio State is good but the Big 10 is horrible and they beat Minnesota, a common opponent with TCU, by only one score whereas TCU beat Minnesota down hard.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Not who you think will be the 4 but who should be the 4...

Mine:

1. Alabama
    2. Florida State
    3. Oregon
    4. TCU

I give the nod to TCU over Baylor because Baylor played a complete scrub non-conference schedule and lost to a bad West Virgina team. They did beat TCU but it was at home and it took a miracle comeback which I don't think they could pull off again. I think TCU is the better team. Ohio State is good but the Big 10 is horrible and they beat Minnesota, a common opponent with TCU, by only one score whereas TCU beat Minnesota down hard.
    TCU also didn't win a conference championship game. Also the common opponent TCU played at home and Ohio State played on the road in 15 degree (-1 wind chill). Plus Minnesota scored a garbage time TD in that game. It is down to TCU and Ohio State. Baylor doesn't stand a chance IMO. But if the committee puts in Ohio State they don't have to deal with the TCU-Baylor head to head game issue.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    TCU also didn't win a conference championship game. Also the common opponent TCU played at home and Ohio State played on the road in 15 degree (-1 wind chill). Plus Minnesota scored a garbage time TD in that game. It is down to TCU and Ohio State. Baylor doesn't stand a chance IMO. But if the committee puts in Ohio State they don't have to deal with the TCU-Baylor head to head game issue.
    Ohio st has by far the worse loss of any top 6 team.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Ohio st has by far the worse loss of any top 6 team.
    No doubt there. Ohio State's SOS is better than TCU and Baylor, albeit not by much.

Post Count
    If FSU is not number one as an undefeated team then they shouldn't be in the top 4 since TCU and Ohio State have looked better as well.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Why is Ohio State's SOS better? Who did they play? Michigan State who lost their only significant games? Wisconsin who lost their only significant games? Minnesota who lost their only significant games?

1. Oregon - destroying legit teams with multiple top-25 wins
    2. Alabama - beating soundly legit teams with multiple top-25 wins
    3. Florida State - beating every team, but barely
    4. TCU - no bad loss, several solid wins in top-3 Conference

Ohio State has beaten names, but how good were they really? Wisconsin looked worse than Michigan, who sucks, and Michigan Stare got smoked by an injured/Young Oregon, and Baylor has played well, but where someone had to lose in BaylorVsTCU, Baylor did not have to lose to a team TCU beat.

You need to remember that the PAC-12 South has five top-25 team, including three top-10 and Oregon destroyed two of them UCLA and Arizona. PAC-12 has six Top-25, including four top-10 in last three weeks. They canibalized each other. If such isn't held against SEC/SEC West then it shouldn't be held against Oregon, whose only loss came to the PAC-12 South Champion and top-10 team by one score.

Oregon has destroyed multiple teams, one of whom in Arizona who has beat more top-25 teams than Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin combined.

Post Count
    Winning every game as defending champions when everyone is gunning for you and when you have as many distractions as FSU did off the field has to count for something. Under the old BCS formula, I think the pollsters vote differently and rankings put FSU at #1. However, things clearly look different now, but I feel you have to reward going undefeated with at least a top 2 seed.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    They played one legit team all season, almost losing to several iffy teams along the way.

That's not worth top-2.

You either stick them #1 for the undefeated , or you grade them subjectively on play and who they played.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    If Alabama is #1, then Florida State will be #4, and if Alabama is #2, then Florida State will be #3... I doubt the committee sends FSU out West vs. Oregon.

Post Count
    Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville are all decent wins plus they survived a lot of trap games (Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Miami and Florida). I'd give them the number two spot. Oregon's wins aren't that much more impressive + they have a loss.

1.FSU....only undefeated team in the nation
    2.Alabama....winner of the best conference
    3.Oregon....winner of the second best conference
    4.Ohio State....just totally destroyed the 13th ranked team in the nation with a third string QB.

There we have the best for college football. The west coast, the south and the midwest all involved.

Did Vegas whiff on Wisconsin as a fav....wow!

Post Count
    Alabama represents the deep south (I guess), not the southwest (including Texas) -- that's not what's "best" for college football if that's really the criterion for what's best.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Big-10 is so overrated... Hard numbers say all their teams are average at best. Beat each other en route to quality seasons isn't tantamount to being a quality team.

No one from that conference beat anyone of note outside conference.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Code:
    CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 SEC-WEST (A) ...........= 92.42 92.22 ( 1) 7 92.26 ( 1)
    2 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) ......= 81.30 79.87 ( 2) 6 80.51 ( 2)
    3 SEC-EAST (A) ...........= 80.10 79.19 ( 3) 7 79.92 ( 3)
    4 BIG 12 (A) .............= 79.27 78.96 ( 4) 10 79.12 ( 4)
    5 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) ......= 75.60 76.53 ( 5) 6 75.99 ( 5)
    6 BIG TEN-WEST (A) .......= 74.90 74.96 ( 8) 7 74.91 ( 6)
    7 BIG TEN-EAST (A) .......= 74.27 75.42 ( 6) 7 74.73 ( 8)
    8 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) .......= 74.24 73.30 ( 9) 7 73.87 ( 9)
    9 ACC-COASTAL (A) ........= 74.21 75.01 ( 7) 7 74.82 ( 7)
    10 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) ......= 67.56 67.26 ( 10) 6 67.42 ( 10)

Is being champion of the (barely) 4th best conference really a big deal?

Big-12 is a tougher conference.

My Team
    St. Mary's Rattlers
    Post Count
    Maybe this will teach Baylor to actually schedule real game for non conference season.

Alabama represents the deep south (I guess), not the southwest (including Texas) -- that's not what's "best" for college football if that's really the criterion for what's best.
    Ohio State is a traditional power, it has a history. The college game is all about tradition/history, the media loves it. TCU has made what kind of impact on the college game, yep...0.

I totally agree, the BIG10 is weak.

Post Count
    Ohio State is a traditional power, it has a history. The college game is all about tradition/history, the media loves it. TCU has made what kind of impact on the college game, yep...0.
    Tradition/History is more important than regional representation, I agree. However, this discredits your original standard for what's best for college football (i.e., wide regional representation).

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I'd rather have computers look only at numbers:

How you played
    Who you played
    Who they played
    Where you played

In my mind a road loss to a top-10 team by one score isn't a negative. It shouldn't hurt you.
    In my mind a road win vs a top-25 team is worth more than a home win vs top-25 team.
    In my mind any loss to a team outside RPI top-40 is a bad loss, but counts less if on road.
    In my mind any win vs a team outside RPI top-75 is not factored in. Shouldn't count.

RPI... How you play vs who you play and how they play vs who they played.

Tradition/History is more important than regional representation, I agree. However, this discredits your original standard for what's best for college football (i.e., wide regional representation).
    The sport needs as many traditional powers there as possible. And I am being realistic from a 2014 perspective. In a fantasy world..

USC
    Ohio State
    Texas
    Alabama

would be the best situation.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Surprised a "historian" like yourself would say that.

Post Count
    The sport needs as many traditional powers there as possible. And I am being realistic from a 2014 perspective. In a fantasy world..

USC
    Ohio State
    Texas
    Alabama

would be the best situation.
    Yes, except I would probably replace Ohio State with Notre Dame.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

You can use all kinds of formulas to derive those stats. SEC east rated that high... ?
    Total Joke *crinkle trash* that list.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Big-10 is so overrated... Hard numbers say all their teams are average at best. Beat each other en route to quality seasons isn't tantamount to being a quality team.

No one from that conference beat anyone of note outside conference.
    Give Minnesota Ohio State's resume and TCU breezes in imo.

Surprised a "historian" like yourself would say that.
    I should have said....when compared to the Big10.

Thread Information