Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you provide sources?
    Nope, just going by memory.

I certainly allow for the possibility it's true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sure hope it is.

For all our sakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sure hope it is.

For all our sakes.
    ok was referring to my acknowledgment, not my permission

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying who is right or wrong between you and wikipedia, but according to wiki it sounds like the county and franchise are responsible:

The Spurs and the city had come to an agreement to build a new facility adjacent to the Alamodome, but in a last-minute reversal, the team partnered with Bexar County to construct a new arena adjacent to the Freeman Coliseum. As a part of the agreement the facility would be home to the Spurs, a new ice hockey team (what became the Rampage), and the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo Association's annual, multi-day event (the latter requiring the Spurs to engage in an extended road trip every February).

City never wanted an arena.

There was a proposal with a school district involving bonds and what not but those idiots shot down that cash cow.

County stepped in and went partners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the city's fault. They could have just plopped it in one of the Alamodome parking lots and built some garages. The county kept the team in town and that was really the only way they could do it.
    Not even close to any room in the parking lots for an 18k arena nor room for parking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok was referring to my acknowledgment, not my permission
    I was not referring to your permission either.

That was never needed nor requested.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close to any room in the parking lots for an 18k arena nor room for parking.
    Looks pretty close to me, but i do remember the Victoria Courts site more often that the Dome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's definitely room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    City never wanted an arena.
    Jesus christ, that's not even true.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bexar County Commissioners Court on Tuesday gave Spurs Sports & Entertainment the green light to begin up to $101.5 million in improvements and renovations to the County-owned AT&T Center. The renovations to the infrastructure and technology will improve the guest experience at every level of the 12-year-old arena and are scheduled to take place in the summer of 2015.

Infrastructure enhancements to the AT&T Center will include new seating arena-wide, improvements to the arena entrances, relocation and expansion of the Fan Shop, expanded concourses in the charter level, updated suite areas and new fan improvements and seating options in the balcony level. Renovations will also include an expansion of the plaza level Whataburger concession, which will be open to the general public on non-event days. Technology improvements to the AT&T Center will include a new high-definition center-hung scoreboard and the addition of wraparound LED boards to the NE, SE and SW towers.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/bexar-count...ion-att-center
    Great. Now the fans at Spurs game will comeback during their halftime break, near the end of the 4th quarter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya blame the ing city of San Antonio and the ing idiots in charge of the city at the time for where the building is at.

I think that was during the Peak and Garza years when this thing was getting approved and all. Probably Peak. He couldnt give two s about building an arena for the Spurs anywhere, especially downtown.

So the County stepped up and said, we have land here, its not the greatest location, but its available, and the rest is history.

Just ing park in the arena parking lots and you will be fine. Its not like they are doing drug deals or murders on the street as you drive past it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks pretty close to me, but i do remember the Victoria Courts site more often that the Dome.
    I believe that was the most talked about site for an arena.

It would have made for a nice arena site too, especially now that they are giving a couple s about the Hemisphere area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't they wanna build over by the quarry off 35 on the NE side? I was but a young lad at the time.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding was that the Spurs and the city had a tentative agreement to build an arena next to the dome, subject to a public vote at the next election. The problem was the city's plan to pay for it was a sales tax increase. The Spurs were concerned that the vote wouldn't pass because voters would shoot down the sales tax increase. The county then stepped in with the Freeman plan which included a hotel/motel tax for funding. The Spurs felt that that funding had a better chance of passing so went with the county plan. At the time there was serious concern that any arena vote would fail and the Spurs would move. If I remember correctly, I believe the Spurs preferred the city's plan by the dome but felt the County's plan at Freeman had a better chance of passing.

The best plan was the Longhorn Quarry plan on the N/NE side, which included shops and restaurant development. However, it included the Spurs paying no taxes. Because of that the school district shot it down before it could even get to a public vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great info.

Had they waited four years to propose the arena I'd imagine any location would've been a go.

That is to say assuming history stayed intact and SA won in 2003.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to hear how this goes over with the forum nazi's

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/loca...ents/20167713/
    oh for sake, more "San Antonio culture"?

Guess we can expect more fiesta colors and confetti around ever corner. Tired of that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a lot of money for taxpayers. I smell some benefits to the big boys in the city power structure are in there somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a lot of money for taxpayers. I smell some benefits to the big boys in the city power structure are in there somewhere.
    i

This isn't money from San Antonio taxpayers. So that smell is probably something else in your house. Check behind the fridge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy was about to post this exact thing word for word. I will never get over how half baked the idea building it there was. It's one thing if they actually, you know, had a developer committed to you know, developing the area. You don't reverse urban decay just by plopping down an arena, dumb s.

If we ever get an NFL team they'll build a stadium in Kirby.
    Before the ATT Center was built, there was a strong push for the arena to be located where the Scorpions are now playing, I35 and Thousand Oaks. A lot of people were upset with the thought of the arena leaving the east side and eventually the idea was scrapped. I thought putting it further north up 35 would be a good thing, attracting fans from New Braunfels, Seguin, probably even Austin, not to mention getting it out of the most rundown side of town.
    Last edited by Big P; 12-23-2014 at 12:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus christ, that's not even true.
    Sure thing Nynsyc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't they wanna build over by the quarry off 35 on the NE side? I was but a young lad at the time.

Yup project longhorn or something like that. Genius NE side school district shot it down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

SA taxpayers don't pay one cent into it unless they rent a hotel room or a car.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perkins said the new seats will likely be light gray in color and will be among some of the best available in the world for stadiums. The old seats were black, with a limited number upholstered in a variety of bright colors, creating a confetti effect.

Bexar County and Spurs Sports & Entertainment, which are covering the costs of the AT&T Center improvements, have tapped YESCO Electronics, a Logan, Utah-based manufacturer of electronic displays to install a new center-hung video board system, as well as LED ribbon boards that will circle the interior of the arena.

Spurs officials said YESCO will install approximately 15 million individual LEDs, or roughly 12,000 square feet of LED displays. As part of its vendor agreement, YESCO will take possession of the old center hung scoreboard and will repurpose and recycle some materials.

Once the renovations are completed, the seating capacity at AT&T Center will shrink slightly to make room for some new fan spaces.

“It’s a small change,” Perkins said. “The overall capacity of the stadium will be very similar to what it originally was.”
    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2015/06/18/at-t-center-makeover-won-t-suffer-rain-delay-hunt.html?ana=twt

The jumbo tron could look similar to the one at the Jazz arena:

Biggest thing I would like to see other than the new jumbo tron, is for the seats to have cup holders.
    Last edited by ace3g; 06-21-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Thread Information