Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KSAT 12 reporting spurs will play 20 games at the Joe and Harry Freeman coliseum
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Games at the coliseum was reported months ago, that's gonna be interesting!

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kinda bull they didn't auction off the seats though

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't believe the 20 game BS. This last e-mail we got from the Spurs was they were
    going to start installing new seats and everything was on schedule.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not play in the Alamodome if this is true.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that will ever happen Kingslayer. SA always seems to think if they build in a hole it will somehow magically make the hole become a nice place.
    A sports arena is never going to be a nice place to be around. Ever. No matter where it's located. I like that they tucked it away in a hole so as not to muck up a nice part of the city.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not play in the Alamodome if this is true.
    It's not true.

A sports arena is never going to be a nice place to be around. Ever. No matter where it's located. I like that they tucked it away in a hole so as not to muck up a nice part of the city.
    Hemisfair Arena was nice to be around. We would always make a night downtown as part of going to games back then. Going to ATT is more like a military extraction operation. Go! Go! Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what are the upgrades?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what are the upgrades?
    You need to be spoon fed something that was clearly stated in the OP?

Stick to celebrity gossip and Realdolls, Fapps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to be spoon fed something that was clearly stated in the OP?

Stick to celebrity gossip and Realdolls, Fapps.
    Butthurt,
    I was looking for some 1st hand eyewitness accounts.
    You're stictly a computer troll.

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butthurt,
    I was looking for some 1st hand eyewitness accounts.
    You're stictly a computer troll.

lol
    Butthurt.

Bull , dude. If that's what you wanted, you would have asked for that.

You're strictly Perez Hilton.

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ people believing mookie

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where downtown though? I mean I would be all for that, but where is there the room for it there?

The northisde makes far more sense in that there is an area to put it. I feel like somewhere off of 281 or 35 near 1604 would be good placement and is realistic.
    The footprint of the UT Ins ute of Texan Cultures would be a good spot next to the convention center and the remodeled and redesigned Hemisfair Park.
    Alamodome Parking nearby--although we are talking about 20 years from now probably so who knows.

Drachan made a good point about the NW Park of Downtown near Fox Tech. However, we're about to turn San Pedro Creek flowing from Fox Tech down through the west side of downtown into another extension of the River Walk, so that area may all be gentrified by the time we get to building a new Spurs stadium. Maybe the area West of 37 near the Hays Street Bridge? That would be an awesome spot. But once again, we are talking about a long time in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus christ, that's not even true.

Well Jesus Christ they sure didn't act like it.

Nuttin' in these bitches philldafunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weren't they gonna build it in that quarry over by wurzbach pkwy/morgans wonderland?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weren't they gonna build it in that quarry over by wurzbach pkwy/morgans wonderland?
    That would of been a of a lot better than the east side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There always have been talks among fans that the arena would have been a better downtown but, as someone with no SA ties, I think Spurs might very well like their current location over one near the riverwalk. The closer an arena is to riverwalk, the more attractive it is but also the more likely you'll see people eating/drinking in the restaurant/bars around the arena and not inside the building.

This renovation is a big one ($100M is a lot of money) and the main focus is to improve the surroundings around the court with new bars, restaurants, whataburger, fanshops... The obvious goal is to have fans spending some extra money on drinks, food or Spurs items inside the building. It certainly would be harder to do that with a downtown area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would of been a of a lot better than the east side.
    Access to Longhorn Quarry would have been horrible. There would be 3 lights to get on WBP from O'Connor, 2 from Wiedner, and one, plus two sets of active RR tracks, from Thousand Oaks. They would all feed on to WBP, along with the traffic coming the other way, to one exit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Access to Longhorn Quarry would have been horrible. There would be 3 lights to get on WBP from O'Connor, 2 from Wiedner, and one, plus two sets of active RR tracks, from Thousand Oaks. They would all feed on to WBP, along with the traffic coming the other way, to one exit.
    Yet it wouldn't be right next door to the ghetto and industrial area.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a different note I don't understand why everything in the arena as far as upgrades have been revealed but the center hung score board is a secret. I know some people have posted some leaks but who knows if those were official.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were 2 functional problems -- caused by the 2 different governments in San Antonio/Bexar County -- when the arena deal came up that led to the building being where it is:

1. The City leaders either didn't care if the Spurs left or didn't think they would actually pull the trigger to move, and didn't come up with a reasonable plan for getting the building constructed on property owned by the City or within the City's condemnation power, as others have noted. Though the referendum that ultimately built the arena passed fairly easily, there was a substantial amount of opposition to it in the weeks and months leading up to that election. The vote that led to the building took place on opening night of the Spurs' season in November 1999 (pretty sure it was 99 and not 00) and I recall there being a very nervous environment in the Alamodome that night as Peter Holt frequently left his seat in what appeared to be trips to get updates on the voting. It was probably a surer deal than I knew, but the need for the arena to keep the Spurs in SA was a very real thing and a vote against the referendum would have been disastrous.

2. When the County leaders realized the Spurs weren't bluffing and put together their own proposal, the deal they cobbled together had to result in the construction of the building on land that the County owned or could condemn. The County probably could have put the building much further out from downtown, but it tailored its plan to meet the Spurs' needs and the County's needs, which primarily were to improve the location for the Rodeo. Couple that with the fact that the current location is probably about as close to downtown SA as the County could have gotten, and you end up with a building that is in a location that many think is a pretty poor choice.

Ultimately, though, the location came down to a matter of prudence and practicality. The Spurs needed a deal to stay in SA; the County offered the only deal with any chance to win voter support, but required this location.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're all gots
    Bruno with the truth bomb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have the time this is pretty applicable to this thread:

Nuttin' in these bitches philldafunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs