Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    You're missing the point as usual. The playcalling is what's really hurt the run game (as well as injuries to Woodhead and Mathews), not the lack of a Natrone Means type player. When you call the same exact running plays on first and second down every drive with zero adjustments ever, the league is going to wise up and shut it down.

If that many teams want Rivers, then we can get a boatload of picks for him. He's clearly not going to win more than 10 games a year anymore or have any deep playoff runs if he stays with the Chargers (as shown by the last five seasons), might as well start over with some new young talent.
    I had a feeling you wouldn't get it, you don't.

Whatever guy.

Rivers has had six 4000 plus seasons, he has a career comp % of 64.8 and a passer rating of....96.4. 115td/81int.

Those are Hall of Fame numbers.
    Last edited by Avante; 12-15-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    i don't see the benefit of parting ways with Rivers right now. they don't have better alternatives or an heir apparent in place. i'm sure you would like to have an elite QB, but so do 27 other teams ... that's the nature of "elite" anything. there is some concern though because i dont sense any sort of iden y on offense. Keenan allen hasn't been as good as most thought he'd be this year. his numbers have been better in the 2nd half, but watching the games, they're just force feeding him high% looks. his yards per catch are startlingly low, especially for a guy who was bulled as a legit #1 WR/superstar. in the meantime Gates and Floyd are just getting older, and they still lean on Eddie Royal quite a bit. the run game has been mediocre. the o-line has been unstable.

i get the notion of "wasting" years with a QB, but i just dont see how parting with rivers helps them for now or the future, unless they have a guy in place
    Thing is, the 7-9 win treadmill hasn't exactly helped us for now or the future. We've stuck with Rivers in the five years since Kaeding missed all those field goals, but the team really hasn't improved at all during that timespan and just lacks too much talent on both sides of the ball. AJ's cap mismanagement and being forced into a win-now mindset with Rivers, Gates, and Weddle has prevented us from truly developing young talent or filling holes on the roster. Right now we're in a similar position to the Sharks - a franchise that really should rebuild, but is too paralyzed by fear of the unknown and emotional attachment to aging core players (Rivers/Gates/Weddle, Thornton/Marleau) to actually grow a pair and do it.

hope and change
    Post Count
    well, Manning is like 40 and still rollin, so we should get another 5 years at least out of Rivers. just need to add a cowboys level OL, a legit #1 WR like Dez, A dangerous RB like Murray...

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Thing is, the 7-9 win treadmill hasn't exactly helped us for now or the future. We've stuck with Rivers in the five years since Kaeding missed all those field goals, but the team really hasn't improved at all during that timespan and just lacks too much talent on both sides of the ball. AJ's cap mismanagement and being forced into a win-now mindset with Rivers, Gates, and Weddle has prevented us from truly developing young talent or filling holes on the roster. Right now we're in a similar position to the Sharks - a franchise that really should rebuild, but is too paralyzed by fear of the unknown and emotional attachment to aging core players (Rivers/Gates/Weddle, Thornton/Marleau) to actually grow a pair and do it.
    then they should scrap the old core, but QB's can keep playing effectively up until retirement, especially the good ones. the mediocre ones just fall off a cliff (Schaub, Delhomme, Plummer, Cutler...?) but the good ones can keep playing. imo it started going downhill when they lost VJax and Sproles

Rivers is a keeper

Post Count
    well, Manning is like 40 and still rollin, so we should get another 5 years at least out of Rivers.
    And the Colts wisely moved on from Fivehead when they realized they needed to rebuild.

just need to add a cowboys level OL, a legit #1 WR like Dez, A dangerous RB like Murray...
    Good luck getting all of that with draft position every single year. A big reason why Dallas' O-line is good is because they got Tyron Smith (Pro Bowl tackle) 9th overall. Can't get talent like that when you're winning 9 games every year and just barely missing the playoffs.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    And the Colts wisely moved on from Fivehead when they realized they needed to rebuild.
    literally the only reason they moved on was because the Andrew Luck pick fell into their lap. otherwise they wouldn't have cut Peyton.

Good luck getting all of that with draft position every single year. A big reason why Dallas' O-line is good is because they got Tyron Smith (Pro Bowl tackle) 9th overall. Can't get talent like that when you're winning 9 games every year and just barely missing the playoffs.
    yeah that was funny. they "just" need to get an elite OL unit, RB, and superstar WR. thats all

Tyron Smith was 9th overall but you guys took Fluker #11 overall.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Rivers is a pretty solid NFL QB tbh... Look around the league. There really aren't many "Great" QB's. A-Rod, Brady, Manning, Brees, Luck... Then 2nd tier guys like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Romo, Flacco, maaaybe Wilson..

Rivers is a top 10 QB in this league. Would you rather draft a rookie and start from scratch? Nonsense. The Chargers have much bigger issues than Rivers. From every game I've watched, their O-Line gets beat repeatedly (I called Fluker being a bust as soon as he was drafted), and on top of that they don't have a true #1 WR. Gates is clearly not the same player he once was at TE. I think Rivers is the best thing you have going for you as a Chargers fan, tbh. He's one of the top compe ors in the league, even if he does make some crucial mistakes. It's damn hard to find a franchise QB in the NFL, hence the number of busts you see year in and year out.

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Tolbert was perfect for you guys. He has been great for us

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    Not as long as Cowherd is singing his praises. Once he sells him out like he has Kapernick then you can run him off.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Not as long as Cowherd is singing his praises. Once he sells him out like he has Kapernick then you can run him off.
    You think Colin is that influential as far as how teams operate?

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Tonight is way ya don't over react to every damn thing, week to week, sheash~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rivers looked like what he is an elite QB.

Rookies, sheesh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hope and change
    Post Count
    Tonight is way ya don't over react to every damn thing, week to week, sheash~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rivers looked like what he is an elite QB.

you're overreacting to and misinterpreting yesterdays game, the niners gave it away, they are terrible, they would have lost to anyone.

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    Vander...they wouldn't of lost to this team:

<-----

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Not this team:

<-----
    Just to shut these annoying Chargers 'fans' up, what would you trade to have Rivers?

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    you're overreacting to and misinterpreting yesterdays game, the niners gave it away, they are terrible, they would have lost to anyone.
    horrible take

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    Just to shut these annoying Chargers 'fans' up, what would you trade to have Rivers?
    My soul....my first born....you get the point.

Post Count
    Frizzle calling any other fan annoying

Post Count

You're overreacting to that game. It was one mediocre, average team against another one.

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    Translation:
    But but but
    goes onto the field while inactive, he's such a hero

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    You're overreacting to that game. It was one mediocre, average team against another one.
    You don't appear to understand how any of this stuff works at all, wow~~~~~~~

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

Post Count
    Bumping this up. With Rivers starting to make noise about how he's only willing to play out his contract and not willing to talk about an extension, as well as rumors flying around of Rivers getting traded and his back injury being a lot worse than anyone was letting on, it's looking like the Rivers era is coming to an end.

I personally hate the rumored trade of Rivers to the ans for the second overall pick and drafting Mariota with it. First of all, Mariota is nothing but a gimmick and certainly isn't a franchise QB worthy of a top-two pick. Second of all, one draft pick is not nearly enough for Rivers when there's bound to be other desperate teams willing to offer more.

^^^ 2nd overall not good enough?
    No way in teams will offer more then that.
    Since you dont like Mariota, which QB do you like?

I wanted that Ohio State QB.

Post Count
    ^^^ 2nd overall not good enough?
    No way in teams will offer more then that.
    Since you dont like Mariota, which QB do you like?

I wanted that Ohio State QB.
    Denver got two first-round picks for Jay Cutler, I'm pretty sure we can get more than one first-rounder for Rivers.

I actually like Jameis if he can stop being a ing idiot off the field, as he's actually been asked to play in a pro-style offense and read defenses, but he's going first overall. Barring that, I'm not impressed with any of the other quarterbacks in the draft.

Denver got two first-round picks for Jay Cutler, I'm pretty sure we can get more than one first-rounder for Rivers.

I actually like Jameis if he can stop being a ing idiot off the field, as he's actually been asked to play in a pro-style offense and read defenses, but he's going first overall. Barring that, I'm not impressed with any of the other quarterbacks in the draft.
    Wonder if they could take Mariota and trade him to a team that wants him? In exchange for multiple picks or a kick ass lineman.

Thread Information