Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it that it seems like 3/4 of the world population wants to immigrate here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A thread based on a strawman.

Cool.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the American plutocratic kleptocracy is working hard to degrade USA for the 99% so it will be unattractive to, as ty as CC's mythical 3/4 of the countries.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 6-Step Process to Dispose of the Poor Half of America

1. Deplete Their Wealth

Recent analysis has determined that half of America is in or near poverty. This is confirmed by researchers Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, who point out: "The bottom half of the distribution always owns close to zero wealth on net. Hence, the bottom 90% wealth share is the same as the share of wealth owned by top 50-90% families - what can be described as the middle class."

The United States has one of the highest poverty rates in the developed world. It's much worse since the recession, especially for blacks and Hispanics.

From 2008 to 2013 the stock market, which is largely owned by just 10% of Americans, gained 18% per year. Well-to-do stockholders get capital gains tax breaks, including a carried interest subsidy thatRobert Reich calls "a pure scam."

The bottom half of America, relying on regular bank accounts, earn about one percent on their savings.

2. Strip Away Their Income

Earnings due to workers for their years of productivity have been withheld by people in power. Based on inflation, the minimum wage should be nearly three times its current level. An investor report from J.P. Morgan noted a direct correlation between record profits and cutbacks in wages.

We hear occasional news about job growth, but low-wage jobs ($7.69 to $13.83 per hour), which made up just 1/5 of the jobs lost to the recession, accounted for nearly 3/5 of the jobs regained during the recovery. And it's getting worse. Nine out of ten of the fastest-growing occupations are considered low-wage, generally not requiring a college degree, including food service, health care, housekeeping, and retail sales.

Among rich countries, according to OECD data, the U.S. is near the bottom in both union participationand employee protection laws.

3. Take Away Their Homes

A study by the National Low Income Housing Coalition concluded that an average American renter would need to earn $18.92 per hour -- well over twice the minimum wage -- to afford a two-bedroom apartment. "In no state," their report says, "can a full-time minimum wage worker afford a one-bedroom or a two-bedroom rental unit at Fair Market Rent." Over one-eighth of the nation’s supply of low income housing has been permanently lost since 2001.

Little wonder that so many people are homeless: over 600,000 on any January night in the U.S., tens of thousands of children, tens of thousands of veterans, and one of every five suffering from mental illness.

4. Hit Them with Fines, Fees, and Fleecings

The poor half of America is victimized by the banking industry, which takes an average of $2,412 each year from underserved households for interest and fees on alternative financial services; byrental centers that charge effective annual interest rates over 100 percent; by payday lenders whocharge effective annual interest rates of over 1,000 percent; and by the burgeoning prison industry, which charges prisoners for food and health care and phone calls and probation monitoring and anything else they can think of.

On top of all this, bubbly TV personalities rave about all the lottery money just waiting to be taken home. Poor families account for most of the lottery sales.

5. Criminalize Them

Matt Taibbi's recently published book The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gapcontrasts the targeting of the poor for trivial offenses with a tolerance for the architects of billion-dollar financial crimes.

The U.S. court system is flooded with cases for minor infractions, including loitering charges reminiscent of the infamous Black Codes of post-slavery years. The buildup of arrests has added one out of every three U.S. adults to the FBI's criminal database.

The poor are criminalized for lying down or sleeping in public; for sharing food; for simply havingnowhere to go.

6. Most Insidious: Let Their Children Suffer

The U.S. has one of the highest relative child poverty rates in the developed world. Almost half of black children under the age of six are living in poverty. Nearly half of all food stamp participants are children. The number of homeless children has risen by 50 percent in less than ten years.

Early education is certainly part of the solution, for numerous studies have shown that pre-school helps all children to achieve more and earn more through adulthood, with the most disadvantaged benefiting the most. But even though the U.S. ranks near the bottom of developed countries in the percentage of 4-year-olds in early childhood education, Head Start was recently hit with the worst cutbacks in its history.

Meanwhile, public schools in the inner-city are being closed to satisfy the profit urges of the privatizers, who view our children as commodities.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/6-step-process-dispose-poor-half-america?akid=12576.187590.lZcWB3&rd=1&src=newslett er1028681&t=10&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a pretty simple formula, really.

Don't apply yourself to getting a good education.
    Don't apply yourself to learning a skill
    Don't develop a good work ethic.

Don't expect a "good" job.

The worst schools and school districts in SA still have their fair share of National Merit scholars and kids that go on to good careers.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pity the fool who does not realize how lucky he is to be born here.

Especially if you are a white, male, and born parents who instill the directives from the post directly above.
    Preferably parents; emphasize the plural.

Never ever forget good fortune.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pity the fool who does not realize how lucky he is to be born here.

Especially if you are a white, male, and born parents who instill the directives from the post directly above.
    Preferably parents; emphasize the plural.

Never ever forget good fortune.
    yep, compare USA with dog countries, USA smells like a rose, so the 1% can continue plundering, raping the 99% because, as stink tank Heritage spins it, the US poor aren't really poor until they become like street beggars in Mumbai.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, compare USA with dog countries, USA smells like a rose, so the 1% can continue plundering, raping the 99% because, as stink tank Heritage spins it, the US poor aren't really poor until they become like street beggars in Mumbai.
    You need to travel.
    Get out of the house.
    I think you would like Norway if you are old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And boots, no Republican or 1% er who cares about the future takes pleasure in witnessing so much disparity in wealth as to cause social chaos. The question has always been why it exists, and if it does lead to large scale insurrection where all suffer the consequences, how to prevent the phenomena.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to travel.
    Get out of the house.
    I think you would like Norway if you are old.
    I've travelled A LOT, and lived, worked outside of USA, so GFY

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And boots, no Republican or 1% er who cares about the future takes pleasure in witnessing so much disparity in wealth as to cause social chaos. The question has always been why it exists, and if it does lead to large scale insurrection where all suffer the consequences, how to prevent the phenomena.
    the 1% doesn't give the tiniest . That's why they want to kill public schools for profit, kill public assistance, steal Soc Sec, and violate public/private pension contracts. They just don't give a about anybody but themselves.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    it's a pretty simple formula, really.

Don't apply yourself to getting a good education.
    Don't apply yourself to learning a skill
    Don't develop a good work ethic.

Don't expect a "good" job.

The worst schools and school districts in SA still have their fair share of National Merit scholars and kids that go on to good careers.
    Education, work ethic, and skills don't mean when there aren't any jobs for younger people. Older people not retiring because they don't have any money to support themselves is a big reason why.

Part time work is the only type of job the USA makes anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 1% doesn't give the tiniest . That's why they want to kill public schools for profit, kill public assistance, steal Soc Sec, and violate public/private pension contracts. They just don't give a about anybody but themselves.
    Then they don't give an f about themselves. If that's the prevalent thought they are doomed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've travelled A LOT, and lived, worked outside of USA, so GFY
    Where and why are you back in this hole?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Education, work ethic, and skills don't mean when there aren't any jobs for younger people. Older people not retiring because they don't have any money to support themselves is a big reason why.

Technology is partially responsible.
    I suggest you strike out on your own. Find an area of need that you can fill that involves money. May I suggest technology. Yes I may because I just did. Realize this is very risky and might require you losing $ before you make any. You might very well be totally on your own until you have established some trust among others through hard working failed attempts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is total bull .

I'm hiring kids in their early 20's for full time TRAINING positions who have a track record of being drug free and staying steadily employed while being willing to learn new skills and not being afraid of work and starting them at $16.50 an hour plus 100% of health insurance paid. If they fit in they are making close to $20 in a year and 30+ in five. Every other employer I talk to has the same complaint...they can't find kids with a good work ethic to train to replace the old guys that are retiring.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 12-15-2014 at 12:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do new hires on a two month probationary period and give them weekly feedback on their progress. I was looking for 2 new hires in 2014 and despite culling through literally hundreds of applicants I ended up with eight probationary hires to get the two that actually wanted to really work and learn and build a career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is total bull .

I'm hiring kids in their early 20's for full time TRAINING positions who have a track record of being drug free and staying steadily employed while being willing to learn new skills and not being afraid of work and starting them at $16.50 an hour plus 100% of health insurance paid. If they fit in they are making close to $20 in a year and 30+ in five. Every other employer I talk to has the same complaint...they can't find kids with a good work ethic to train to replace the old guys that are retiring.
    yeah, "I'm OK, so Everybody's OK"

"Other People's Problems don't exist, and they're all criminals and lazy asses anyway. Everybody has the same opportunities, advantages, financially well-off, educated parents, so if you don't make it, you blew your chance, so you"
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-15-2014 at 12:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, "I'm OK, so Everybody's OK"

"Other People's Problems don't exist, and they're all criminals and lazy asses anyway."
    cry me a river Boo. , there are HEB managers making big six figures that started out bagging groceries part time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and what about the other 9,999 baggers still making in the low 5 figs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and what about the other 9,999 baggers still making in the low 5 figs?

you should work harder and be more responsible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not just younger people...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/...iscrimination/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you should work harder and be more responsible.
    you're as tone deaf and as misinformed as head

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're as tone deaf and as misinformed as head

You should have paid more attention in school and then picked a major you could actually make a living at. You might not have turned out as such a bitter old failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is absolutely true. Sad but true. Any job that requires years of training to be competent is going to favor youth over age. Factor in age based health care premiums/cost and unemployed in their late 50's and early 60's are ed.

Thread Information