Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've brought this up before, and it's simply inexcusable that these folks have the 'power' to ruin the perception of Duncan's contributions (over the extent of his entire career)... Watched a replay of the game last night due to irregularities with Duncan's final stat line vs. what I expected it to be...

I counted Duncan as having 20 rebounds, and 5 blocks... compared to the 16 Rebounds and 3 blocks he was officially credited with. I believe in this particular case the issue lies with how the sta icians/score-keepers are counting tip-ins... Oddly enough, however, they do count missed tip-ins as FG attempts... In a broader sense however, there are enough irregularities to stake a legitimate gripe.

Statistically speaking, there is enough data out there to generate a distribution curve for Duncan's home vs. away stats normalized for minutes played (most notably BPG/48 and RPG/48)... with enough games in the data set (i.e. >1000), any strength of schedule factors or matchup factors which could bias the result would themeslves be factored out... My hunch based on observation alone is that our "home" based scorekeepers have been doing Duncan a disservice over the years... Which I find apalling...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah...There was a thread about it here on Spurstalk years ago, those guys always take away rebounds/blocks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is nothing new(and has been talked about before on ST). There are games where I swore I saw Duncan with 4 or 5 blocks and the scorekeeper only counted 3 of them. Same thing with rebounds and occasionally assists. Statisticians have always been terrible at AT&T.

If every team's stat guys were like the Spurs it wouldn't be an issue but unfortunately there are some that statpad the franchise players numbers. Chris Paul used to get favorable assist numbers in NO for example. In the grand scheme of things this is all meaningless and irrelevant though. Duncan himself probably doesn't give a about his stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup.

tim and kawhi are the players that are getting hit the most with these statisticians..TD will probably be averaging 11.5 boards right about now and Kawhi around 8.5 if they knew how to score stats.

Thread Information