Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    Duke Blue Devils
    Post Count
    Stolen from another message board. Current day Oregon is Virginia Tech from 10 years ago

From '99 to '09 Virginia Tech...
    110-33 (64-22)
    5-6 in bowls
    4 Conference Champs
    6 Top 10 finishes
    10 Top 25 finishes

From '04 to '14 Oregon...
    111-32 (77-22)
    6-5 in bowls
    4 Conference Champs
    6 Top 10 Finishes
    9 Top 25 Finishes
    Virginia Tech is 18-20 vs teams that finish the year ranked
    Oregon is 21-22 vs teams that finish the year ranked

Virginia Tech is 52-31 vs teams that went to a bowl
    Oregon is 53-27 vs teams that went to a bowl

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Oregon fans reminisce over their favorite uniform rather than which one of their les seasons was the most memorable.

Oregon's rise was bank rolled by Phil Knight, most other historical elite schools earned their reuptation for wins on the field and not from the facilities a booster with deep pockets provided to help things move along.

Oregon is without question an elite program. only a fool wouldn't see this.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    You can't be an elite program if you've never won a national championship or done it for more than a generation. Oregon is a fine program and deserves respect for putting together a nice run in a state that doesn't produce a lot of homegrown talent- but elite? That designation belongs to schools like Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas- programs that have won big over the decades.

You can't be an elite program if you've never won a national championship or done it for more than a generation. Oregon is a fine program and deserves respect for putting together a nice run in a state that doesn't produce a lot of homegrown talent- but elite? That designation belongs to schools like Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas- programs that have won big over the decades.
    So once elite always elite?

Oregon has lost how many games in the last five seasons? The 85 Bears won it all, are the Bears still elite? Those Ivy League/Military schools were once elite are they still? , back in the early 1900's Michigan went 4 seasons undefeated scoring over 100 points a number of times, what does that have to do with todays Michigan?

Oregon has been one of the top programs in the nation for awhile now, and it's real real obvious, they are without question among the elite.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Plenty of questions about their "elite" status.

a) gimmick offense

b) would not have happened without Phil Knight

c) cares more about uniform of the week rather than les one.

I wish I could be as delusional as some.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    Duke Blue Devils
    Post Count
    So once elite always elite?

Oregon has lost how many games in the last five seasons? The 85 Bears won it all, are the Bears still elite? Those Ivy League/Military schools were once elite are they still? , back in the early 1900's Michigan went 4 seasons undefeated scoring over 100 points a number of times, what does that have to do with todays Michigan?

Oregon has been one of the top programs in the nation for awhile now, and it's real real obvious, they are without question among the elite.
    You don't get into the Elite club without Winning a le. How long you stay depends. IMO on 2 main factors

1. Quality of coaches you bring in
    2. Are you sending players to the NFL

We see first hand how Miami and Michigan, no matter how long they struggle are still able to pull off the two factors. USC is another example.

As compe ive as we like to think CFB is, it's still the same 15 or so programs winning les.

Pac10
    USC
    Washington*

Big10
    OSU
    Michigan
    Penn State*
    Nebraska*

Big12
    Oklahoma
    Texas

ACC
    FSU
    Miami
    Clemson*

SEC
    Alabama
    Florida
    Auburn
    LSU
    Georgia*
    Tennessee*

^ 17 programs

So why are Marino/Sanders/Kelly all in the Hall of Fame?

All those schools I mentioned were National Champions.
    Those players are elite you mentioned and all time greats (Sanders and Marino come on now, dude saying they are not elite is nuts). Those teams were elite you mentioned IMO as well, but Oregon sure as is not elite IMO as their gimmick O is just pretty much that, they got ran over when they got to the big game and I always knew they would.
    Plenty of questions about their "elite" status.

a) gimmick offense

b) would not have happened without Phil Knight

c) cares more about uniform of the week rather than les one.

I wish I could be as delusional as some.
    I agree with you fully man, Oregon TO ME is not elite at all! Soft team with a gimmick offense. They win alot of games yes, but they got to the big game in which their fans kept asking for and got exposed by a more physical team. They ran all over them all night, if not for TO's they make it EVEN WORSE. They got beat badly.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    They ran all over them all night, if not for TO's they make it EVEN WORSE. They got beat badly.
    Exactly. Elite teams/programs who are essentially +4 in the turnover margin (Mariota's INT as time expired doesn't really count) do not get beat by 3 TDs, they win by 3 TDs.

No les and over 1,000 uniform combinations. Sounds like a recipe for a fad rather than an elite program.

Exactly. Elite teams/programs who are essentially +4 in the turnover margin (Mariota's INT as time expired doesn't really count) do not get beat by 3 TDs, they win by 3 TDs.

No les and over 1,000 uniform combinations. Sounds like a recipe for a fad rather than an elite program.
    Agreed. The class of the Pac12 (Pac 10 before) has always been USC, the only one who actually won things. Oregon to me has been a gimmick type team who wins putting up high scores with that gimmick offsense, when they meet real teams they get buried as shown. Their y fans ed for years about the NT game and a playoff and being robbed, had one idiot say thank GOD for the playoffs so the overrated SEC (They even dared called the 7 NT in a row a fluke for the SEC lol) and the real teams made the bowl game this time, hopefully they shut the up now. Bama and Ohio State was the real game, both of those teams would have (OSU did) beat the crap out of Oregon and their light defense and gimmick offense. I like traditional offense, Oregon to me is a gimmick

The hurry up, high tempo offense is pretty much destined to fail. yeah, you can score a lot in a hurry against middle of the pack teams, but eventually someone is gonna string together some stops on you and your defense is gonna get ed over. i don't get the logic. letting your defense rest by chewing clock seems pretty essential to me.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    The high tempo works when teams are not prepared, have less depth and talent.

When those such teams run into compotent opposing teams the high tempoed team's defense is on the field a lot and gets worn down and unless the high tempo team is converting on a high percentage of their posessions it is destined to fail like you said.

I can see why Oregon did it at the time. Because they were irrelevant and wanted to become relevant and did so the "easy" way and the are finding that out in major bowl games.

Thread Information