Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, you get it for one ing year after upgrading from Windows 7 and 8? Please game devs, port your to SteamOS so we can leave ty Redmond behind for good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, you get it for one ing year after upgrading from Windows 7 and 8? Please game devs, port your to SteamOS so we can leave ty Redmond behind for good.
    can't wait to see what the screen that asks you to pay for the subscription after one year or you don't get security updates look like...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and lol @ "Cortana", that's gotta be the ugliest name I've heard in years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't they mean that you can upgrade for free for a year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't they mean that you can upgrade for free for a year?
    Looks like you're right

Damn, that's pretty ing nice.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-win...-subscription/

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn't set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.

Update: It seems there's still confusion. It is very clear from this post that for the first year it's available, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you have Windows 7 or 8. You will not pay for it. After that year is up, nothing will happen to your Windows 10 license. If you do not upgrade within that year, however, you will have to pay for an upgrade. The offer expires after a year, not the upgrade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see what happens after a year... this was what was mentioned a couple years ago:

Microsoft is busy preparing its next-generation Windows client, shortly after shipping Windows 8 in October. The Verge has learned from several sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans that the company is planning to standardize on an approach, codenamed Blue, across Windows and Windows Phone in an effort to provide more regular updates to consumers. Originally unveiled by ZDNet, the update on the Windows side, due in mid-2013, will include UI changes and alterations to the entire platform and pricing. We’re told that Microsoft is aiming to make Windows Blue the next OS that everyone installs. The approach is simple, Microsoft will price its next Windows release at a low cost or even free to ensure users upgrade.

We understand that you will need a genuine copy of Windows to upgrade to Windows Blue. Built-in apps and the Windows Store will cease functioning if a copy is upgraded that is pirated. Sources tell us that Microsoft will likely keep the Windows 8 name for the foreseeable future, despite the Windows Blue update. A big part of Windows Blue is the push towards yearly updates for Microsoft’s OS. Microsoft will kick off an annual upgrade cycle for Windows that is designed to make it more compe ive against rival platforms from Apple and Google.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3...pdate-low-cost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the event itself...

sea of Apple at the MS event

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they HAD to do it. no surprises

question is will WIN10 be adopted as it should and as fast as it should? IMO good move by MSFT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crofl no Windows 10 update for Surface RT gimmicks...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-wind...or-surface-rt/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like you're right

Damn, that's pretty ing nice.
    damn, super ready to attack poor old MS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is MS turning their corporation into Halo?

Cortana, Spartan..what's next? Change Microsoft Word into Microsoft Master Chief?

Believe.
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Why is MS turning their corporation into Halo?

Cortana, Spartan..what's next? Change Microsoft Word into Microsoft Master Chief?
    Draw in the younger audience.

Those MS people are re ed. They think gaming success=computers will sell.

I've had a few people say to me, wtf is a cortana?

And this is a windows app they will have for win10 on the xbox and vice versa..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draw in the younger audience.

Those MS people are re ed. They think gaming success=computers will sell.

I've had a few people say to me, wtf is a cortana?

And this is a windows app they will have for win10 on the xbox and vice versa..

The only thing I'm looking forward to with Windows 10 is DX12..that will drop around the time I'm due for a GPU upgrade..I just bought W8, so I'll get it free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a massive Halo fanboy, I don't know how I feel about Windows trying to jack a bunch of Halo references for their . Cortana is one thing, since yeah I guess it's an AI, but wtf is this Project Spartan . are they going to rename the start menu to the Librarian? gtfo of my Halo, windows.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn they already coming out with a new windows??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they're still trying to find themselves. At least they're offering free upgrades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they HAD to do it. no surprises

question is will WIN10 be adopted as it should and as fast as it should? IMO good move by MSFT
    It should be adopted quickly, if you upgrade in the first year, it's free.

Believe.
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    It's been a minute now.

Windows 8 was an utter failure. You have to go back all the way back to 7 to think of a good product.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think major releases of OS X are much more frequent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully windows won't follow Apples footsteps and refrains from making your phone useless after 3 iterations of the OS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Windows 10 upgrade is free even if you pirated Windows 7 or 8

Windows 10 will be free for software pirates

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users this summer, but Microsoft is also extending its offer to software pirates. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," says Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Windows chief, in an interview with Reuters. The move means that thousands, perhaps millions, of machines will get a free copy of Windows 10 even if a license has not been properly acquired. "Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows," says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. "We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."

Microsoft has a long history of attempts to thwart software piracy. Windows XP was the company's first operating system to introduce software activation to verify license keys, but it was quickly defeated using a corporate license key that many pirates shared on the internet back in 2001. Software activation has evolved throughout various versions of Windows, but pirates have largely managed to bypass it each time. While Microsoft's plan might seem like letting software pirates go free, studies have found that in a lot of cases pirated Windows licenses are installed on new machines without customers even knowing they have an illegal copy. Microsoft has tried various methods to encourage those customers to return their machines or seek out a legal copy, but it’s headache and a bad experience of Windows itself if that’s the first thing you have to deal with in certain regions.

Windows software piracy is no small feat, so Microsoft’s move is surprising and meaningful. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer revealed in 2011 that only one customer in every 10 is actually paying for Microsoft software in China, and he joined President Obama and other business leaders to highlight the issues. Microsoft has also continually highlighted the financial impact of software piracy, but it continues to be a problem in Brazil, Russia, India, and China.

Update March 18th, 10:19AM: article updated with comment from Microsoft confirming its plans.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hopefully this applies to Win 10 preview users too, would save me a couple of hours

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol ms go eat a

a chinese person income...how long would it take for them to save up just to buy a computer let alone ms windows license?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Microsoft Says Free Windows 10 Upgrades For Pirates Will Be Unsupported

"When Microsoft confirmed it will offer free Windows 10 upgrades to pirates worldwide, many were shocked. VentureBeat has been trying to get more details from the company, which disclosed today that after PCs with pirated copies of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are upgraded to Windows 10, they will remain in a 'non-genuine' status and Microsoft will not support them. 'With Windows 10, although non-genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license,' a Microsoft spokesperson told VentureBeat. 'Non-genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud — iden y theft, credit card theft, etc. — public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions.' Yet this doesn't provide enough answers. After a pirate upgrades to Windows 10 for free, does this 'non-genuine' version expire and become unusable after a certain period of time? Does no support mean no security updates for pirates?"

Thread Information