My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans strengthened their grip on the Texas Senate on Wednesday, shrugging off nearly 70 years of tradition with a rules change that knocks out the Democrats’ ability to block legislation on party-line votes.

Republicans hold a 20-11 majority in the upper chamber, which under the old “two-thirds” rule would have left them one vote short of being able to bring up bills for debate without at least one Democrat. The tradition ensured that, even though it could be outvoted on every issue, the minority party could effectively block the most controversial bills from the floor.

By reducing the number required to 19, the GOP seized a controlling majority over just about every major Senate vote to come in the session with a small cushion to spare. And though a small numerical change, it could have a huge impact as it may leave Democrats powerless to block bills or force compromise on issues such as school choice, gun rights, immigration and state spending.

The rule change was near the top of new Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s wish list. The former state senator and tea party favorite first sought to change the rule in 2007 when he was voted down 30-1 on his first day in the Legislature.

Less than a decade later, Patrick is the new presiding officer over the chamber and delivered on a promise to consolidate GOP voting power after the party’s sweeping success in the November elections.
    “It will help us deliver a conservative agenda a majority of Texas voters elected us to pass,” Patrick said after the vote.

Republicans needed only a majority vote to make the much-watched change. The 20-10 vote broke mostly along party lines, with Sen. Eddie Lucio Brownsville as the only Democrat to join Republicans in support. One Republican, Sen. Craig Estes of Wichita Falls, did not vote.
    http://kxan.com/2015/01/21/texas-sen...ier-for-bills/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Majorities aren't forever, but memories die hard. Texas Republicans may rue it someday.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TX is ed by corrupt TX corporatocracy and un able.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Majorities aren't forever, but memories die hard. Texas Republicans may rue it someday.
    Bipartisan vote so it won't be an issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one Democrat voted for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's laughable to suggest that will immunize the GOP against partisan score settling when the shoe's on the other foot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one Democrat voted for it.
    That's all it takes these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's laughable to suggest that will immunize the GOP against partisan score settling when the shoe's on the other foot.
    it's laughable to suggest this is the thing the GOP will regret when Texas turns blue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's one thing. any party in the minority wants a little leverage. hewing to custom might have ensured that leverage was there when fortunes flip, changing it will likely leave them out in the cold.

reciprocity is real. this move could be bad karma for Texas Republicans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First Texas has to turn blue which isn't going to happen anytime soon. If it ever does then the GOP ceases to exist as a viable party and you'll have to find some other party to and moan about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's not happening soon, sure, but I see no reason why becoming the minority party in Texas would be the end of the GOP.

Thread Information